'21-'22 National Hoops Scene

rico

I know Kelvin Sampson can coach basketball. 

I just don't think he would have put the emphasis on academics and integrity that IU fans would like. Of course, winning would have won some over, but not everyone.

I just can't see a kid like Cody Zeller playing for him. We talk about team chemistry all the time. I'm just not sure it would have worked long term. 

Could be wrong though...but I am glad he's gone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I just don't think he would have put the emphasis on academics and integrity that IU fans would like. Of course, winning would have won some over, but not everyone.

I just can't see a kid like Cody Zeller playing for him. We talk about team chemistry all the time. I'm just not sure it would have worked long term. 

Me too and to me integrity is as important than winning games

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Didn’t one of the Zeller bros have a recruiting visit that essentially turned him off from IU during the Sampson era

4 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

Didn’t one of the Zeller bros have a recruiting visit that essentially turned him off from IU during the Sampson era

Yes. The program under Sampson was a mess academically and multiple players had substance abuse issues. It was not a good place for a number of academically oriented players. The academics were in very bad shape while at the same time a number of very good players were headed to IU or in the pipleline, the team was winning on the court but losing the culture of IU

12 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I know there were a few people on this board that wanted to ditch Archie after 2019 for him.

And I wouldn't trade Archie for him ..

I’m sure some did...I think it is still a fair question in if we got the right hire. Hard to say Beard is doing a bad job. Houston is the 18th ranked team in the country. We’ve seen a lot worse losses early on in the season...Beard has a top 25 team despite the loss. I wouldn’t be in support of Dumping Archie 2 years in of course but that doesn’t change the fact Beard took a group of 300 ranked kids and took them to a finals and he has a promising group of kids this year. He has done a good job recruiting and at a tough school to recruit to.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’m sure some did...I think it is still a fair question in if we got the right hire. Hard to say Beard is doing a bad job. Houston is the 18th ranked team in the country. We’ve seen a lot worse losses early on in the season...Beard has a top 25 team despite the loss. I wouldn’t be in support of Dumping Archie 2 years in of course but that doesn’t change the fact Beard took a group of 300 ranked kids and took them to a finals and he has a promising group of kids this year. He has done a good job recruiting and at a tough school to recruit to.

I guess we'll see...He had some talent last year too and went 18-13 9-9 and was probably going to miss the tournament.

My bigger point was on such a short resume, there's no way our fans should be calling for him to replace CAM.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Maybe not, but his brother went to play for Williams where guys on the team were taking fake classes, etc.  

23 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Maybe not, but his brother went to play for Williams where guys on the team were taking fake classes, etc.  

All due respect, I don't understand the point you're making here...

If it's that the Zellers would overlook cheating in a program during one of the 3 kids recruitment, I think you'd have a whole lot of people who know the family personally that would argue that point...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

If it's that the Zellers would overlook cheating in a program during one of the 3 kids recruitment, I think you'd have a whole lot of people who know the family personally that would argue that point...

Not saying that at all....I'm saying its about the relationship.  Cheating was going on at UNC at the same time.  

My point is why wouldn't Zeller play for Sampson?  He is loved by his players and is an excellent coach.

3 hours ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Knowing the family as I do, I guarantee Tyler took real classes and got a real degree.  At the time he went to UNC, the fake classes had yet to be uncovered and it would be hard to expect him to uncover what he NCAA didn't.  Sure, at some point in his college career, he likely had suspicions that teammates weren't taking very rigorous loads, but knowing Tyler, he probably did what he was supposed to do both in the classroom and on the team regardless of what his teammates were doing.  I would very much expect that if Tyler was asked today, he doesn't at all approve of what went on there.

25 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

My point is why wouldn't Zeller play for Sampson? 

Because I saw the kids Sampson recruited and I just don't think Cody, an avowed Christian who took the academics seriously (and DID eventually graduate from IU) would have fit in with that group...

Edited by IUFLA

Because I saw the kids Sampson recruited and I just don't think Cody, an avowed Christian who took the academics seriously (and DID eventually graduate from IU) would have fit in with that group...

Good for him. I know my sister left her college basketball team because of how people were behaving and she didn’t feel the coach would change. She just got her degree instead. That said playing devils advocate because I’m not a fan of what was going on with the kids but if we just are looking at results...so we miss one recruit. Who knows who and what Sampson could have done. I’d hope he would have cleaned up stuff but we lost a ton of talent over the years that a good chance he could have got. Could he have done better than the Crean years..I mean Cody helped us get a B1G championship and a sweet sixteen but it isn’t like he brought a NC to IU. Cody was huge for IU because he helped turn around around the program but if Sampson had remained would it needed turned around at all?? Lots of what if’s.

Because I saw the kids Sampson recruited and I just don't think Cody, and avowed Christian who took the academics seriously (and DID eventually graduate from IU) would have fit in with that group...

Agree with that.  Tyler saw all the pot smoking etc. and moved on.  Cody would have done the same.  Crean even referenced having to watch his mouth because of Cody's family. They are straight arrows...nothing wrong with that.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Good for him. I know my sister left her college basketball team because of how people were behaving and she didn’t feel the coach would change. She just got her degree instead. That said playing devils advocate because I’m not a fan of what was going on with the kids but if we just are looking at results...so we miss one recruit. Who knows who and what Sampson could have done. I’d hope he would have cleaned up stuff but we lost a ton of talent over the years that a good chance he could have got. Could he have done better than the Crean years..I mean Cody helped us get a B1G championship and a sweet sixteen but it isn’t like he brought a NC to IU. Cody was huge for IU because he helped turn around around the program but if Sampson had remained would it needed turned around at all?? Lots of what if’s.

And that's one of the reasons why IU is a more difficult job than many of the Blueblood schools, particularly Kentucky and Kansas. There's a faction within our fanbase that won't stand for the "win at all cost" mentality. And I'm sure that's a residual effect of the Bob Knight years good or bad (good in my book).

As I said, winning might win over some, but not everyone by a long shot.

I'm a "leopards never change their spots" kind of guy. I thought the Sampson hire was a bad decision from the get-go, especially with the NCAA already nipping at his heals at Oklahoma. Maybe he would have turned over a new leaf, but color me skeptical. He's in a better place for him now simply because U of H has been overlooking things for decades.

Now, I know the infractions at IU were insignificant, but I, personally, can't overlook the drug use and flaunting of academic standards. And I think a lot of IU fans are in that camp.

I was glad when Dakich cleaned house. I was at the game at Northwestern when Jamarcus Ellis wouldn't even stand with the team in the huddle. I was hoping Dakich would order him off the court right then and there...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I was glad when Dakich cleaned house. I was at the game at Northwestern when Jamarcus Russell wouldn't even stand with the team in the huddle. I was hoping Dakich would order him off the court right then and there...

If I was a football quarterback, at another school, I wouldn't stand in the huddle for IU basketball either.

Jamarcus Ellis on the other hand... :)

• Haha 3