'21-'22 National Hoops Scene

rico

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

All the respect in the world for Mark Few. He's built himself a nice 30 win program but 1 Final Four? Of course maybe I should say that's a big deal since Painter has never been to one. 

During the game they talked about why he never left Gonzaga.  He said you don't mess with happiness

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

During the game they talked about why he never left Gonzaga.  He said you don't mess with happiness

Relatives in Seattle and surrounding area. My cousin went to Gonzaga. Visit the region couple timex every few years. 

I get the idea of finding a place where you can be a big time college head coach without people expecting you to be one. In some ways jealous of his balance. Until he wins a title though....he's a guy that delivers tons of wins without anything else. Maybe a Henson, Keady, Huggins....shoot even a Sampson type.

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Relatives in Seattle and surrounding area. My cousin went to Gonzaga. Visit the region couple timex every few years. 

I get the idea of finding a place where you can be a big time college head coach without people expecting you to be one. In some ways jealous of his balance. Until he wins a title though....he's a guy that delivers tons of wins without anything else. Maybe a Henson, Keady, Huggins....shoot even a Sampson type.

Last year on CBS they interviewed him at his house and if you saw it and the view you know why he never left

• Like 3

Just now, IU Scott said:

Last year on CBS they interviewed him at his house and if you saw it and the view you know why he never left

Understand. Which in my brain says he chose safe. Nothing wrong with that at all. Just never been a fan of safe guys. We'll see if his approach ever gets him to the top. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Understand. Which in my brain says he chose safe. Nothing wrong with that at all. Just never been a fan of safe guys. We'll see if his approach ever gets him to the top. 

He said he can win championships at Gonzaga do no need to go somewhere else.  I actually love seeing this and not just going places just for money

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rico said:

4-15 from the floor, 0-2 from 3...11 points last night along with 9 boards.

I probably watched  15 minutes of the game and saw Smith shoot ne shot which he hit.  It was one of those turn around  15 footers that luckily went in.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I probably watched  minutes of the game and saw Smith shoot ne shot which he hit.  It was one of those turn around  15 footers that luckily went in.

STATS
2020-21
2019-20
2018-19
2017-18

GP MIN FG% 3P% FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
3 30.3 45.9 40.0 46.2 6.3 1.7 0.3 2.3 1.7 1.3 14.0
32 30.4 49.2 26.3 67.3 5.2 0.9 0.3 1.0 2.1 1.6 10.4
35 24.7 49.6 21.9 51.4 4.5 0.8 0.4 0.6 2.4 1.9 8.2
31 14.9 55.0 30.0 67.3 3.2 0.2 0.3 0.2 1.9 1.1 6.5

His numbers are up some... of course the best team they played so far is North Texas (I guess).
Edited by GaloisGroupe

3 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I'd really be interested to see how Coach Few would respond to your viewpoint.     😊

I haven't looked up the numbers, but I would be surprised if Few wasn't the winningest coach in CBB in the years he has been the HC for the Zags.

i respect Few about as much as any coach i can think of.  he could have jumped so many times to so many places for more money, higher profile, whatever, but he stays at Gonzaga and takes them from little known to Cinderella, national contenders.  i respect that way more than jumping at the next opportunity like so many up and coming coaches.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i respect Few about as much as any coach i can think of.  he could have jumped so many times to so many places for more money, higher profile, whatever, but he stays at Gonzaga and takes them from little known to Cinderella, national contenders.  i respect that way more than jumping at the next opportunity like so many up and coming coaches.

We have seen a few caches who could have went to bigger places but stayed at their mid major jobs, Mckillop at Davidson, Byrd at Belmont, Kreese at College of Charleston.  those guys decided that they were happy where they were at and were able to win at those places.  Obviously they weren't driven by money or prestige and stayed where they were happy.  Some don't want to worry about a lot of things besides coaching basketball.  At these top schools you have to worry about dealing with Alumni and boosters and the pressure of winning fast can be overwhelming. 

• Like 1