'21-'22 National Hoops Scene

rico

39 minutes ago, MaroonRebel said:

“I was worried about losing until I looked down the floor and saw Dale Brown. Then I knew we had a chance.”

Add Knight: Of Brown’s coaching, he said: “To paraphrase Churchill, probably never has so little been done with so much.”

Bob Knight

I miss all of Bob Knights quotes. He had no filter. Would never happen in this day and age and yet so refreshing!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

These neutral site games don't seem to be going too well for UK. Maybe they should just play everybody at home. Clearly these empty NBA arenas are intimidating their young players and damaging their confidence. 

Why?? Last year they lost to Evansville at home and this year they lost to Richmond at home. I’d rather lose away from the pitch forks and torches if I’m Cal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Why?? Last year they lost to Evansville at home and this year they lost to Richmond at home. I’d rather lose away from the pitch forks and torches if I’m Cal.

Good point, forgot about that Evansville game. Maybe they just shouldn't play at all. Too traumatizing for those poor freshmen. 

• Haha 1

Post from Rupp Rafters: this is honestly how most lifong UK fans feel.

am so over our blow heart coach and his constant repetition of the same crap. Just once I would like to hear him say what it should mean to the players to be able to play at the winningest college basketball team ever. We have the best facilities, highest recruiting budget probably, best fan base etc. All Cal ever talks about is getting his players to the NBA. I don’t give a rats ass about that. I want UK to win games and championships. I want a coach who understands the tradition of playing at UK. I want a coach who will build a program using something other than selfish over rated high school players who could care less about playing for UK. It is time to get that type of coach and move on from thus shit show Cal has created at UK.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

am so over our blow heart coach and his constant repetition of the same crap. Just once I would like to hear him say what it should mean to the players to be able to play at the winningest college basketball team ever. We have the best facilities, highest recruiting budget probably, best fan base etc. All Cal ever talks about is getting his players to the NBA. I don’t give a rats ass about that. I want UK to win games and championships. I want a coach who understands the tradition of playing at UK. I want a coach who will build a program using something other than selfish over rated high school players who could care less about playing for UK. It is time to get that type of coach and move on from thus shit show Cal has created at UK.

Most of the UK fans I know were ok with it when it was working...

But once you get a couple of weak recruiting cycles or start losing out to schools like Duke consistently for the primo kids, it doesn't. 

I have a few people who are dear friends that are UK fans...and only recently have they started bitching about Cal. They also know my position that after all the underhanded BS that has went on at Kentucky since the 1940s, I have no sympathy for them.

The kind of thinking that had them lauding Cal a few years ago is prevalent in a faction of our fan base as well. I've seen people call for someone like Cal...a Bruce Pearl, or someone of that ilk. 

No thanks...

• Like 2

I have been seeing these kind of statements from "traditional" UK fans for quite a few years now.  Actually to the point that they will get into big time arguments with the "newbies" about it and it gets comical.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, rico said:

I have been seeing these kind of statements from "traditional" UK fans for quite a few years now.  Actually to the point that they will get into big time arguments with the "newbies" about it and it gets comical.

That is what I have seen as well. I dont think their fan base minds the cheating side of things but want a team they can recognize and remember.  

• Like 1

It's blow "hard" BTW, but one of the problems with Cal's model is that you get all of these talented kids who are not going to respond well to criticism, tough coaching, etc.  I know Cal says otherwise, but I don't buy it.  When you only have kids like that for 1-2 years, you don't have a good enough relationship to be tough and hold them accountable.   

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

That is what I have seen as well. I dont think their fan base minds the cheating side of things but want a team they can recognize and remember.  

Ya know UK started all this BS themselves.  That be the art of pillaging scum from the coaching ranks just so they could protect the "prestige" of what is 'Cat basketball.  They have slowly progressed from bad to worse with a dose of sanity(Tubby) in there.  Gee, back in the day blue bloods hired an ass't when their HC retired for the most part.  Ye shall reap what you sow, and UK has done a great job harvesting the crop.  The only thing they got going for them is that they are in a shi**y basketball conference.  Put the 'Cats in the B1G and where would they be?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

It's blow "hard" BTW, but one of the problems with Cal's model is that you get all of these talented kids who are not going to respond well to criticism, tough coaching, etc.  I know Cal says otherwise, but I don't buy it.  When you only have kids like that for 1-2 years, you don't have a good enough relationship to be tough and hold them accountable.   

I know its blow hard but it was from a UK fan, that's expecting a lot from them.

• Haha 1

I'll echo what I saw on twitter. At this rate Cal is going to run out of nonconference opponents to schedule.

Cal's system works when you get John Wall and Anthony Davis. When you have to deal with just barely 5 stars and actually figure out a way to develop players? He's shown time again his 1 year model doesn't work unless he has the elite of the elite. 

Wish Keion well. Hopefully he gets healthy.

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

My expectation is that they'll get better and be respectable by the end of the season, although I am loving seeing them struggle.  I'd be tired of the business model as well, but how do you get rid of a coach with a lifetime contract?

Hmmm...surely there are ways for the administration to make life more difficult for him, IF they TRULY wanted to make a change.  And I'm speaking of uncomfortably difficult, as in "Okay, I don't need this bleep."  But I guess Calipari is stubborn... and I don't know that the administration is close to being concerned, but who can say for sure.

12 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

My expectation is that they'll get better and be respectable by the end of the season, although I am loving seeing them struggle.  I'd be tired of the business model as well, but how do you get rid of a coach with a lifetime contract?

Question is, will they get better and respectable by the end of the season?  Traditional UK fans along with the "new generation" play a guessing game every year with that question.  That is the point.

24 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I am sure UK fans can find away to get around the lifetime part of that contract.  Just ask the ref that they threatened after a tournament loss.

40 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

As a fan I wouldn't like to have to learn your roster every year and not know anything about the players.  I know when I was younger I would know most of the starting lineup of all the top teams in the country and today it takes half the year to know teams roster.

My wife is a UK fan and HATES not knowing the players.  She was never a big Cal fan, and just hoped he wouldn't get them into trouble. Her favorite player was Chuck Hayes because he was a total grinder, and you got to see him develop over 4 years. 

I never thought I would see the level of disinterest from her and many lifelong fans I'm seeing now. They want Cal gone now.

• Like 2