Stanford Pregame

madmax

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, 68Hoosier said:

Has there been any update on Al yet?  I don't expect him to play today but wasn't sure how bad the injury was.

Osterman of the Indy Star said Archie said Al was "doubtful" for today but didn't comment on the severity of the injury...

Baptism by fire time for Lander...

23 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yes he did...more than a few times...He got caught out of position a couple of times too, but he's learning.

The game will eventually slow down for him on offense. I'd like to see more driving/facilitating right now than settling for a 3 pointer, but I'm sure he's working on that too.

Yeah, being out of position is a lot easier and quicker to fix than slow feet and bad lateral movement. Haha. 

12 hours ago, madmax said:

The problem with the "doom and gloom" bunch around here is that tomorrow if we come out and dominate, it will just be an anomaly(Like Florida State last year) in an otherwise trend of poor play and ugly offense over the past 3 years. But if we come out and play poorly again its 100% strong evidence of a continued trend. Which is why I continue to preach patience this year. Lets wait and see. Maybe they're all correct and CAM isn't the guy and never will be, but at the very least we can wait to find out before all the pessimism ruins the mood.

i don't consider myself doom and gloom, but definitely admit i am very critical.  with that said, i don't think a terrible showing yesterday or a possible great showing today would be an anomaly.  i think we will see what we saw last year.  some great moments.  some horrendous moments.  some nice wins.  some bad losses.  i think we are what everyone thought coming in.  an average team just outside the top 25.  bottom half of the B1G.  not terrible.  not great.  i'm excited to see how we come out today though!  i think Texas was a much worse match up for us than Stanford or even if it would have been UNC.  

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i don't consider myself doom and gloom, but definitely admit i am very critical.  with that said, i don't think a terrible showing yesterday or a possible great showing today would be an anomaly.  i think we will see what we saw last year.  some great moments.  some horrendous moments.  some nice wins.  some bad losses.  i think we are what everyone thought coming in.  an average team just outside the top 25.  bottom half of the B1G.  not terrible.  not great.  i'm excited to see how we come out today though!  i think Texas was a much worse match up for us than Stanford or even if it would have been UNC.  

I am along with your line of thinking. In year 4 that's simply not good enough. 

Just now, 68Hoosier said:

What would you consider a good season ending record to be in year 4.  Somewhere in the 6 to 8 loss category?

For me its top 5 in conference.  Anything less than that IMO is a bad year. Now if we finish 5th or 6th and are a top 4 seed in NCAA  that's different. Those would make me content but challenging every year for the BIG conference title is what would make me happy 

i was definitely one who thought Lander would start and he clearly is not ready.  to me, that's a big reason why we aren't going to be any better than last year.  he was our top rated recruit.  was hoping he would improve our talent.  i still think he will in a year or 2, but not being ready this year is tough.  couple that with Hunter not looking great so far, RP looking okay, but no better than his freshman year, Al looking okay... Thompson is the only one who looks vastly improved so far.  again, not saying we will be bad this year, just not a top 25 team, not a top half of the B1G team.  i hope we look good today.  i'm assuming Hunter for Al?

10 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Yes, and I totally understand and agree with much of the criticism. I guess my posts have been trying to fight against the over reactionary nature of these boards which is pointless, I know. Just get tired of the extreme responses.

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

For me its top 5 in conference.  Anything less than that IMO is a bad year. Now if we finish 5th or 6th and are a top 4 seed in NCAA  that's different. Those would make me content but challenging every year for the BIG conference title is what would make me happy 

I would agree with that.  I would also hope that a bad game is used to educate and motivate guys to improve would be a good sign that the team is buying in.  In the past we have had guys continue to make the same mistakes and lazy plays game after game.  I am looking to see how we respond to the L and if the team is buying into the system CAM is running.  If it is more of the same and we hear the same excuses of bad egg in the locker room then..... 

Ugh third straight day game on a weekday work day.  Even better, we have Ravens vs Steelers today too.  Wednesday afternoon NFL.  Whoever heard of such a thing?    “2020, it’s not you, it’s me.  But maybe we should breakup.”

Monday’s game, I watched on tape delay for awhile.  Yesterday’s loss was so bad I only watched a few minutes.  Today, who knows but it’s a painful time.  

13 hours ago, madmax said:

The problem with the "doom and gloom" bunch around here is that tomorrow if we come out and dominate, it will just be an anomaly(Like Florida State last year) in an otherwise trend of poor play and ugly offense over the past 3 years. But if we come out and play poorly again its 100% strong evidence of a continued trend. Which is why I continue to preach patience this year. Lets wait and see. Maybe they're all correct and CAM isn't the guy and never will be, but at the very least we can wait to find out before all the pessimism ruins the mood.

Come on man.  Both sides can make a loss or a win fit their agenda.  Its completely ok to be on either side.  We're all fans and each of us have a different take.

I could give two shits about how we win against sub 200 ranked teams.  If we want to hang our hats on beating TT and Providence, then maybe we shouldn't be in the B1G.  I evaluate how we play against good talented teams.  That tells you if your recruiting is up to par, is your defensive and offensive schemes working and can your coach adjust to the other teams like a chess match.  Hopefully we come out and play really well against a team that on paper is an equal match up to us. 

But don't expect me to get excited when we come out and beat the living crap out pf a team that is ranked 200 spots below us and is just happy to be in the basketball conversation.

And welcome to the internet and sports forums in general where you will always find polarized opinions on a a sports team.  The difference here is that no one here is bashing the program and treating other posters like crap.  Everyone here is mostly respectful even when they have completely different visions for the program. 

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Ugh third straight day game on a weekday work day.  Even better, we have Ravens vs Steelers today too.  Wednesday afternoon NFL.  Whoever heard of such a thing?    “2020, it’s not you, it’s me.  But maybe we should breakup.”

Monday’s game, I watched on tape delay for awhile.  Yesterday’s loss was so bad I only watched a few minutes.  Today, who knows but it’s a painful time.  

Yes, my two favorite teams, IUBB and the Steelers, back to back on a Wednesday afternoon?  I can assure you that has never happened in my lifetime.

12 minutes ago, 68Hoosier said:

I would agree with that.  I would also hope that a bad game is used to educate and motivate guys to improve would be a good sign that the team is buying in.  In the past we have had guys continue to make the same mistakes and lazy plays game after game.  I am looking to see how we respond to the L and if the team is buying into the system CAM is running.  If it is more of the same and we hear the same excuses of bad egg in the locker room then..... 

Spot on. Yesterday has to become the outlier.  For too long games like that have been closer to the norm. All I personally need to see is more consistency 

Lots to critique from the Texas game and a lot of it already called out. I'll focus on Rob. I've been a defender of his citing injuries and bad breaks, but it's put up or shut up time. Not aggressive. Not looking for shots. Not leading. He's a junior point guard and seems content floating through game-by-game. When things are breaking down, when the defense is committed to stopping the primary scorer, when the young guys are struggling to figure it out, it falls to Rob to take control. He looked slow and reluctant yesterday.

At this rate, we are going to look back on Rob's time here and say woulda, coulda, shoulda. Maybe others were right. Maybe he is not the player we hoped he would be. It really is disappointing because it seems he could do so much more. Even if it was attacking the lane and forcing the defense to react so TJD and Race don't have to finish over size every time.

11 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Lots to critique from the Texas game and a lot of it already called out. I'll focus on Rob. I've been a defender of his citing injuries and bad breaks, but it's put up or shut up time. Not aggressive. Not looking for shots. Not leading. He's a junior point guard and seems content floating through game-by-game. When things are breaking down, when the defense is committed to stopping the primary scorer, when the young guys are struggling to figure it out, it falls to Rob to take control. He looked slow and reluctant yesterday.

At this rate, we are going to look back on Rob's time here and say woulda, coulda, shoulda. Maybe others were right. Maybe he is not the player we hoped he would be. It really is disappointing because it seems he could do so much more. Even if it was attacking the lane and forcing the defense to react so TJD and Race don't have to finish over size every time.

I thought he had the potential to trend like Yogi

13 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

i agree.  i'm still a fan, but i thought we had a recruit who came in not all that highly ranked that looked like he was going to overachieve after his freshman year, but last year the injuries set him back and so far this year he is better, but doesn't seem any better than his freshman year.  let's hope he can make that jump soon!

26 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

He had a great game on both ends against Providence. Guarded David Duke and did an outstanding job holding him to 12 points and forcing 4 turnovers. The problem yesterday was, Texas had a roster full of kids better than David Duke. Still, I think he was pretty good on the defensive end.

He was also good on the offensive end against Providence.  Here's his line...

PO.PNG.04818bb19d1ec0c12c6dcbb75908a02e.PNG

Didn't attempt a 3 pointer (and I do wish he'd look for his shot more) but a pretty efficient game. Yesterday he was 0-4, 0 rebounds 1 assist, and 0 turnovers (which surprised me).

But you're right about the consistency part. Or at least the leadership coupled with that. I watched Cassius Winston a lot last year, and he had some poor games, but always was the confident leader of that team. Rob needs to be that guy.

And Race needs to forget about yesterday and be the guy he was against Providence too...

8 hours ago, DunkinDipo said:

I hope so because he looks like he's in way over his head to me. I never saw him play in high school outside of highlight videos but from what I've seen in these past 3 games, he isn't anywhere close to being ready to be a solid contributor. How in the world anybody was talking about him possibly being a 1 and done is beyond me. Even being a 2 and done would likely be a miracle. I'm sure he will get better and be a solid player down the line but this leaving early for the NBA talk has got to stop. He seems like he will be a 4 year player to me. Question for those who know much more about his game than myself: Did he shoot this bad in high school or is he just struggling to make the adjustment to the college game? His shot looks flawed to me. He does have a very quick release which could be beneficial if he can improve his shot. Sorry to be so negative but I was just expecting much more from him. 

He was the #1 ranked PG in the country in his class. He was, clearly, exceptional at the HS level, but he reclassified and joined IU as a 17 year old junior. Yes, he's adjusting to the speed, strength, size etc. of the college game. Way over his head, imo, is over the top. In the games leading up to this one he has looked really good bringing the ball up and orchestrating, but he hasn't shot well and defensively you can see he's learning the speed and positioning of the college game.

What you don't see -- don't -- is a guy who has trouble moving laterally, trouble staying in front of guys, trouble penetrating the D, etc. It's timing, physicality and growing accustomed to the speed of the college game.

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i was definitely one who thought Lander would start and he clearly is not ready.  to me, that's a big reason why we aren't going to be any better than last year.  he was our top rated recruit.  was hoping he would improve our talent.  i still think he will in a year or 2, but not being ready this year is tough.  couple that with Hunter not looking great so far, RP looking okay, but no better than his freshman year, Al looking okay... Thompson is the only one who looks vastly improved so far.  again, not saying we will be bad this year, just not a top 25 team, not a top half of the B1G team.  i hope we look good today.  i'm assuming Hunter for Al?

I’d imagine Hunter or Trey. Stanford seems to have a short bench but they have a pretty tall starting 5. Hunter would be my guess but I expect a lot of Jordan and Trey.

Archived