Stanford Pregame

madmax

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, 68Hoosier said:

Question regarding Brunk.  If you have a sore back and you rest for a week, no problem.  But to keep him out till B10 season seems to be more than a sore back.  Does anyone else know what is really going on or think this doesn't seem right.

No one is going to know anything more than what the team is reporting publicly. CAM has said publicly that it's a sore back issue -- he also said that if the first game had been really important, Brunk could have played. That's pretty specific. At this point there isn't much reason to doubt that the team is taking precautions to ensure Brunk doesn't get rushed back -- messing with a back issue of any sort is not a good idea, and CAM's track record is one of caution, just consider all the time Rob missed coming into this season.

The offense was really bad yesterday but I was still encouraged by how the defense played overall. There were a couple missed rotations that led to open 3s but most of the easy points for Texas came on bad misses on offense or long offensive rebounds. I felt like the half court defense was a lot better than in years past and I think this team could be really solid. 

1 minute ago, slojoe said:

Start Lander.  Sink or swim.  If we are reduced to a half court offense, we are horrible.  Most B1G teams can do that to us.  Lander may or may not be up to the task, but he's the only player on this team that has the potential accomplish that.

i don't have a problem with this, but i don't think he's ready or deserves it so far.  that said, what difference does it make?  Lander, Hunter, Galloway?  all will see more minutes.  none have proven they're ready to be a starter.  man, i'm getting anxious to see how we play today though!

I'm probably going with Trey in lieu of AD today. I'm not sure you can start every ball handler on the team in Rob, AF, and Lander. Need 2 of those guys in at all times and starting all 3 is going to mess with rotations/leave 1 creator on the floor for portions of the game. Also think Trey is most likely to bring the intensity needed to set the tone early. 

2 minutes ago, PhinithreeMagic said:

I'm probably going with Trey in lieu of AD today. I'm not sure you can start every ball handler on the team in Rob, AF, and Lander. Need 2 of those guys in at all times and starting all 3 is going to mess with rotations/leave 1 creator on the floor for portions of the game. Also think Trey is most likely to bring the intensity needed to set the tone early. 

not a bad argument there either, but i'd like to see Hunter get going.  i'd also like to score more than 44 and Trey won't even shoot a layup.

One thing that’s a major plus this year to me is that the ball movement on offense has been really good.  I’m a big believer in emphasizing that on offense.  

On a different note, I’d try to get Phinisee to let more threes fly.  I’d tell him to have a goal of a minimum of 3-5 threes a game.  He’s a good shooter and we need to take advantage of it. 

Rob is an upperclassman. He has a complete game.  He has everything you need.  Quick, strong, can defend, can handle, can shoot, can pass, even find a rebound.  I’d like to see him really assert himself. He can’t “just be there.”  

5 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

One thing that’s a major plus this year to me is that the ball movement on offense has been really good.  I’m a big believer in emphasizing that on offense.  

On a different note, I’d try to get Phinisee to let more threes fly.  I’d tell him to have a goal of a minimum of 3-5 threes a game.  He’s a good shooter and we need to take advantage of it. 

Rob is an upperclassman. He has a complete game.  He has everything you need.  Quick, strong, can defend, can handle, can shoot, can pass, even find a rebound.  I’d like to see him really assert himself. He can’t “just be there.”  

i agree on both accounts.  would love for Lander to be good enough to take point more and play RP as a combo guard more.  we really need him and Hunter to make strides offensively.  i don't need to see Lander shoot much right now though.  it just doesn't look good.  

20 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i don't have a problem with this, but i don't think he's ready or deserves it so far.  that said, what difference does it make?  Lander, Hunter, Galloway?  all will see more minutes.  none have proven they're ready to be a starter.  man, i'm getting anxious to see how we play today though!

CAM is using a 3-guard lineup, to push the ball in transition / fast break and to (in theory anyway) create more space on the offensive end. We saw that work in the first 2 games. Hunter and Galloway are not on-ball players. I would think Lander will start, but I would be happy with Hunter on the wing. Galloway is good, but he's a frosh and gets exposed defensively. Hunter looked fantastic in the first game, but got taken out quickly with fouls in the second and in yesterday's game frankly didn't get enough time. That has to stop, he needs to be out there shooting. 

10 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Fully agree. And CAM has said Rob is now one of the team's top 3 outside shooters -- Al, Rob and Hunter. Now we're likely missing Al. We need the shooters shooting.

2 hours ago, madmax said:

Yes, and I totally understand and agree with much of the criticism. I guess my posts have been trying to fight against the over reactionary nature of these boards which is pointless, I know. Just get tired of the extreme responses.

So here is my take.  Is it over-reaction if you're looking only at the current day/week/season then maybe yeah you can say that.  But what you're not taking into account, is that most of the posters who are unhappy and feel concern are looking at the whole of the CAM tenure.  They are not just looking at this game.  This starting line-up.  Or this season.  They are looking at trends and patterns and then looking at the results as they play out.

And if we do just look at this year.  Here is what we have. 
We dominated a terrible TT team but did see some concerning second half play. 
We beat a decent Providence team fairly convencingly but till some concerns in the second half of that game and our pre-season All-American level player in TDJ not really showing up. 
Game 3 we get owned by a Texas team that was arguably much better than us but one we should be measuring ourselves against.  again our All-American level talent in TJD didn't show up and looked to have been owned most of the night.  If we want to compete at a high level, we have to play and compete against high level schools.

The lack of shooters from outside is concering since it has been that way for 4 years now.  The Providence game we scored 45% of points in the paint and with TT it was 65% in the paint and with 44% of points in the Texas game coming from the paint, and we only scored 44 points total.  This is concerning.  Teams are going to do exactly what they did last year to us and pack the paint and force us to shoot from the outside which currently we can't do

39 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You know, I've been reticent about bringing his name up, but boy would he be welcome on this team... 

I wouldn't be hesitant at bringing his name up.  Sure he took some plays off, some even say games off, however, you cannot deny the talent that he had and brought when he played. 

8 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

My biggest issue is this fan base is overly excited by a blowout win against providence and then overly negative after a bad loss to Texas. This team will reveal who they are but I don’t think you can make definitive judgements after only 3 games. 

Wild swings of opinion from game to game. Always like that. Lol

Today’s drinking game sponsored by “Archie Miller Hoosier Moonshine” now with two new flavors, “Crimson Wild Cherry” and “Creamy Vanilla Prilla da Thrilla”

Drink once for each missed three pointer

Drink twice for each turnover

Drink thrice for each missed bunny

If IU plays well enjoy the win, if they play poorly enjoy the booze.  Either way you win!

Just now, iuthruandthru said:

Today’s drinking game sponsored by “Archie Miller Hoosier Moonshine” now with two new flavors, “Crimson Wild Cherry” and “Creamy Vanilla Prilla da Thrilla”

If IU plays well enjoy the win, if they play poorly enjoy the booze.  Either way you win!

You might end up dying from alcohol poisoning 😃

28 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

i love the one for missed 3s!  should get me right where i need to be!  my principal is not going to be happy with me though!

1 hour ago, 68Hoosier said:

Question regarding Brunk.  If you have a sore back and you rest for a week, no problem.  But to keep him out till B10 season seems to be more than a sore back.  Does anyone else know what is really going on or think this doesn't seem right.

This is my area of specialty. There are many different types of back pain.  You can have disc, lumbar facet, or sacroiliac issues just to name a few.  Healing time depends on severity, number of episodes, radiation, complicating factors (comorbitities), age, weight, and activity level.  

Taller athletes tend to have more stress on the lumbar facets from impact and load while in lumbar extension.  You can numb the area with meds or injections, but the risk of greater injury due to exacerbation is high with continued activity.

All this to say, it just depends on what he has going on. Certain things tend to linger without prolonged rest from aggravating activities.  Other things you can play through.  Hope for the best for him.

Archived