North Alabama Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

13-17 overall last year (8-8 in The Atlantic Sun Conference)

Snapshot of their roster, size, experience, and stats so far...

NA.PNG.8a758626fd62e8981b81fb8d9f45bc2f.PNG

Wins over Oakwood, Carver College, but lost to Troy last night at home by 5. Interesting that they have no one over 6-7 that gets any time so far...I think our freshmen will get a lot of time in this one...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

13-17 overall last year (8-8 in The Atlantic Sun Conference)

Snapshot of their roster, size, experience, and stats so far...

NA.PNG.8a758626fd62e8981b81fb8d9f45bc2f.PNG

Wins over Oakwood, Carver College, but lost to Troy last night at home by 5. Interesting that they have no one over 6-7 that gets any time so far...I think our freshmen will get a lot of time in this one...

Any chance we could add another game like this on Wednesday? Haha. Wouldn't mind having a couple games where our starters get minutes/early lead and as you said some of the younger guys get  minutes.

9 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Sunday at 11am Central time. Wish it was a little later. @milehiiu can watch over a late breakfast!

Yep.... however.... right now....I  do not see where or if the game will be broadcast.  Come on Big Ten Network.  Get your act together !

Anybody see if the game will be on tv ?

Edit.... found one site, where they say the game will be on BTN.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I can see us starting out slow because it is a noon game on a Sunday and no fans.  Also after playing these 4 games with good programs it will be easy to relax a little

I don't know...one of the things that ticked me off in previous years under CAM is the way we would let teams who weren't as talented as we were hang around for a half or 3/4 of the game before we put them away...

I'm hoping with this new attitude we're business-like and put them away early to get the frosh some good time...We did it against Tennessee Tech (albeit they were missing a few pieces) and I'd like to see that Sunday...

I'd LOVE to see a 4 minute segment with the 4 frosh and Race/Trayce like we saw in TN Tech for a minute or 2.

When Galloway brought the ball up against FSU, there was no pressure. He broke it instantly. Rob (I love him) walked the ball up the floor more often than not. Wastes 4-5 seconds on the play clock that could be used for screens and getting spacing correct.

TJD is going to have 30/20 before we take him out of the game.  Al and Rob will end up with big numbers.  Lander will look like the McD he is.

This is game is going to show us nothing, but will make everyone feel good about us before starting BG play.

We need these types of games to give confidence. but to think this is any indication of what this team is capable of is fools gold.

But it will be nice to watch a good old fashion beatdown.

IU by 20.

Things I'll be looking for --

How much run does Hunter get, and how does he do on both sides of the ball. Are sets run for him, like in the first game where he freaking excelled? 

How much run does Lander get? What shots does he take, how does his shooting look, and how does his floor leadership look?

How many outside shots does Rob take, and are sets being run for his outside game?

Does Al now look fully recovered, and how is his outside shooting?

How is Galloway's D, is he crashing the boards, how many shots (outside of the rim) does he take, and how do they look?

Does Franklin shoot better than he has so far? His D is a given, dude is really solid defensively.

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

TJD is going to have 30/20 before we take him out of the game.  Al and Rob will end up with big numbers.  Lander will look like the McD he is.

This is game is going to show us nothing, but will make everyone feel good about us before starting BG play.

We need these types of games to give confidence. but to think this is any indication of what this team is capable of is fools gold.

But it will be nice to watch a good old fashion beatdown.

I completely agree with you, but would also add that if IU sort of sleep walks through this game and the score is closer for longer than we'd hope, that it also means absolutely nothing. 

The team is coming off a stretch of 4 straight Power 5 games, so it wouldn't shock me if they struggle to get up for this game, as has happened to a ton of other Power 5 schools 'playing down' so far this season. 

53 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I know there are members here, who are not big fans of Al.  But I am.

For me, personally, I'm a fan of Al's...hard working kid who's spent 4 years at IU...

But if you ask me if we can contend for a B10 championship and a deep tourney run with him as a starting guard, I'd say no...and I said that before last season too...

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

For me, personally, I'm a fan of Al's...hard working kid who's spent 4 years at IU...

But if you ask me if we can contend for a B10 championship and a deep tourney run with him as a starting guard, I'd say no...and I said that before last season too...

A little pushback -- this seems to be a somewhat popular take on Al. 

He is (on last season) a 38% 3-point shooter - 1st on the team (49% FG's), his 2.5 assist/game were second on the team, he shot 81% from the FT line -- also 1st on the team. He's minimally a very solid all around veteran guard. 

If the question is can we make a deep tourney run with him as the lead guard / primary scorer, I would agree. But if the question is simply can we contend with him as a 'starting' guard, and we're starting 3 guards, I disagree. He's good. We can absolutely contend with him, imo. We do need other guys to step up to contend, but I wouldn't discount our ability to contend just because he starts.

5 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

A little pushback -- this seems to be a somewhat popular take on Al. 

He is (on last season) a 38% 3-point shooter - 1st on the team (49% FG's), his 2.5 assist/game were second on the team, he shot 81% from the FT line -- also 1st on the team. He's minimally a very solid all around veteran guard. 

If the question is can we make a deep tourney run with him as the lead guard / primary scorer, I would agree. But if the question is simply can we contend with him as a 'starting' guard, and we're starting 3 guards, I disagree. He's good. We can absolutely contend with him, imo. We do need other guys to step up to contend, but I wouldn't discount our ability to contend just because he starts.

I agree, but he's also a questionable decision maker, and a marginal defender...ok on closeouts, but any guard that goes to the rim can get by him...he just doesn't have the strength to handle a lot of B10 guards...

I do recognize the highlights of his game which you pointed out, but I also see the warts...

4 hours ago, DWB said:

I'd LOVE to see a 4 minute segment with the 4 frosh and Race/Trayce like we saw in TN Tech for a minute or 2.

When Galloway brought the ball up against FSU, there was no pressure. He broke it instantly. Rob (I love him) walked the ball up the floor more often than not. Wastes 4-5 seconds on the play clock that could be used for screens and getting spacing correct.

my guess is that's because Galloway was on breaks in transition and Rob brings it up under more controlled times.  i imagine it's more about him doing what CAM wants than an inability to push it up.  

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know...one of the things that ticked me off in previous years under CAM is the way we would let teams who weren't as talented as we were hang around for a half or 3/4 of the game before we put them away...

I'm hoping with this new attitude we're business-like and put them away early to get the frosh some good time...We did it against Tennessee Tech (albeit they were missing a few pieces) and I'd like to see that Sunday...

i get frustrated when that happens as well, but when you think about it, does it really matter?  it's frustrating because you don't want to see us play down to our opponents and you just want to see good bball regardless of the opponent, but if we end up winning by 25 or whatever, it's all good.  

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I hope Lander can get lots of minutes this game to further acclimate to the college game. I know NA is not B1G caliber, but it can’t hurt. 

i agree.  i don't think he's close on the offensive end yet, but he will improve more than anyone and hopefully quickly with experience.  

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I know there are members here, who are not big fans of Al.  But I am.

I love Al....the kid. Just like I love Armaan the kid. I’m happy they are on the team. I just wish they weren’t the best we had. They are honestly back ups. If we had guys good enough to be ahead of them then this team would be really good. These guys would be first off the bench of most top 25 teams and if we want to be a consistent top 25 team again even dare I say top 10 then we need guys a level above.

30 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I love Al....the kid. Just like I love Armaan the kid. I’m happy they are on the team. I just wish they weren’t the best we had. They are honestly back ups. If we had guys good enough to be ahead of them then this team would be really good. These guys would be first off the bench of most top 25 teams and if we want to be a consistent top 25 team again even dare I say top 10 then we need guys a level above.

I think the jury is still out on Armaan...his defense this year is much improved...we saw what he CAN do offensively against ND last year...

He hasn't reached his ceiling...in my opinion, Al has...

Terrible crazy idea that’s maybe not so terrible:

Play our style for the first half, get a 20+ point lead, and then in the second half run only set plays for 3 point buckets. Try to get guys some confidence and see the ball go through the net. With my luck we’ll go like 3/28 but still... couldn’t hurt?

13 minutes ago, madmax said:

Terrible crazy idea that’s maybe not so terrible:

Play our style for the first half, get a 20+ point lead, and then in the second half run only set plays for 3 point buckets. Try to get guys some confidence and see the ball go through the net. With my luck we’ll go like 3/28 but still... couldn’t hurt?

Would think we’ll see some variation on this. It’s a game where we can continue to experiment with and hone sets including on getting 3-point looks. 

Archived