Outback Bowl Pre-Game Thread

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mississippi Hoosier here. Wife is Ole Miss grad and I have watched them all year. When they struggle they turn the ball over but they have moved the ball all year and scored on just about everybody. Even without two best receivers and six turnovers, they had  a chance to beat LSU at Baton Rouge. Kiffin is the one of if not the best offensive coaches in the Country and I guarantee you they will put points on the board against us.  Hoosiers should be able to score, but can't have a let down thinking this is a bad team.  It is not, Ole Miss was 3-1 down the stretch.

9 hours ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I hope our guys don’t come out and play “disappointed” because they didn’t get the bowl or the opponent they wanted, but rather come out and play w a huge chip on their shoulders!

Agree that this is the biggest danger. I said elsewhere that this is not a bad Ole Miss team, but but IU's defense is more than good enough to put this away if IU is motivated and well prepared.

10 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I have a lot of confidence that our defense is up to the challenge.  Ole Miss won't break 20.  You heard it here first.

Hope so. I mean I know Alabama isn’t the defensive juggernaut they used to be but after what they put up against them I’d be shocked if we hold them under 30. We won’t be able to play ubber conservative with Tuttle...we will have to open up the playbook. We will have to score points.

2 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

To have as good as a season as you have had and you play against a team with a losing record, my nuts hurt for IU.  This is a shame and a very bad look.  

Now if IU loses to a team with a losing record, well, maybe the Outback bowl was too much for us after all.  

From a national perspective,  it's no win for us.  Win, and it's because we should beat a weak SEC team with a losing record. Lose, and it's the same old Indiana.  

We need to dominate to end on a good note for our guys, and position us for a solid preseason ranking next year.  Going to need to duplicate our performance next year,  and probably have to beat O$U to get respect. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

From a national perspective,  it's no win for us.  Win, and it's because we should beat a weak SEC team with a losing record. Lose, and it's the same old Indiana.  

We need to dominate to end on a good note for our guys, and position us for a solid preseason ranking next year.  Going to need to duplicate our performance next year,  and probably have to beat O$U to get respect. 

I'm upset as everyone. But, just win and win big.  Hire a big time D coordinator and hit home runs  in recruiting.  Start using the media like many coaches in the top 10 did.

Become a program that is dominant.  In Chicago the other day, David Kaplan said Illinois should not be worse than IU in football.

What everyone doesn't realize is that IU was its own worse enemy.  They are pouring more $$ into football more than ever before.

Win gameday, make football the thing to do at IU and the media will follow.

We know how things work- we are the opposite in Basketball- It's been 30 years and we have has teams ranked hire than they should because of the name on the Jersey.

8 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

I'm upset as everyone. But, just win and win big.  Hire a big time D coordinator and hit home runs  in recruiting.  Start using the media like many coaches in the top 10 did.

Become a program that is dominant.  In Chicago the other day, David Kaplan said Illinois should not be worse than IU in football.

What everyone doesn't realize is that IU was its own worse enemy.  They are pouring more $$ into football more than ever before.

Win gameday, make football the thing to do at IU and the media will follow.

We know how things work- we are the opposite in Basketball- It's been 30 years and we have has teams ranked hire than they should because of the name on the Jersey.

Agreed. It is going to take a few years of winning before IU sheds its "old" football image. I feel confident that if Coach Allen stays at IU long term 5 years from now I doubt outsiders and the rest of the Big Ten will view IU as being futile in football. Wisconsin and Northwestern both sucked at football for a long time too, and now look at how they are perceived.

If IU keeps investing in its football program and Coach Allen stays, I think our brightest days are ahead of us...and others will  show more respect towards the program. Meanwhile, I really hope IU sends a strong message to the committee by destroying Ole Miss on Jan 2. Go Hoosiers!!

2 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Agreed. It is going to take a few years of winning before IU sheds its "old" football image. I feel confident that if Coach Allen stays at IU long term 5 years from now I doubt outsiders and the rest of the Big Ten will view IU as being futile in football. Wisconsin and Northwestern both sucked at football for a long time too, and now look at how they are perceived.

If IU keeps investing in its football program and Coach Allen stays, I think our brightest days are ahead of us...and others will  show more respect towards the program. Meanwhile, I really hope IU sends a strong message to the committee by destroying Ole Miss on Jan 2. Go Hoosiers!!

Without any doubt.  The next step is to make big time $$$ off the program so it can go back into it.  They need to figure out gameday and how to get students to show up and stay.  Make some more traditions in the stands.  

The rock was a great idea and is now a tradition - next is to become a well known stadium that is loud and "rocks"

1 minute ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Without any doubt.  The next step is to make big time $$$ off the program so it can go back into it.  They need to figure out gameday and how to get students to show up and stay.  Make some more traditions in the stands.  

The rock was a great idea and is now a tradition - next is to become a well known stadium that is loud and "rocks"

Yep...I actually thought about that right after I posted above...Fans need to step up next season and start filling up the stadium to support the team in person. I plan on taking my kids to a game next season...and we are a few hours away. If we were closer and kids were older I would definitely buy season tickets.

6 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Yep...I actually thought about that right after I posted above...Fans need to step up next season and start filling up the stadium to support the team in person. I plan on taking my kids to a game next season...and we are a few hours away. If we were closer and kids were older I would definitely buy season tickets.

Same boat with me, but what I am going to do is purchase Football apparel for myself and my kids.  Also, make it a tradition to go to one game a year.  

Also, we as fans need to start following our coaches on Twitter, etc.  No way should Archie and Allen be were they are in followers.  This stuff matters today.  

Just some thoughts.  

5 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

This. Hence the SEC chants. The bottom feeders strut when Bama wins in football and UK wins in basketball as if THEIR school won something. Try living down here!

Yes, like LSU, UF, UGA, and Bama in the same conference is NUTS. Auburn and Texas Am are ungodly good 5th and 6th best teams and people can make fun of Tennessee all they want, but they're a sleeping giant with their facilities and what not. 

Now.. none of this applies to Arkansas, Missouri, Vandy, UK, So Carolina, MSU, and Ole Miss. Those teams are NOT the upper echelon. 

Now do they care more about football than the bottom of the B1G does? Yes, absolutely... Arkansas, South Carolina, Ole Miss, Kentucky. and Miss St on game day are LEGIT... their teams however are not. 

I have family in Arkansas and I used to spend time there every year.  They are college football mad.  12 months a year Razorback football country.  I went to a cousin’s wedding in May.  People were literally talking college football.  They are disappointed with where they’ve been in recent years.  

College football is so top heavy right now.  I heard some stat about how many of the top 4 spots have gone to Clemson, Bama, Georgia, LSU, and OSU since the CFP started.  It was a nutty statistic.  

IMO, college football would be a lot more fun if it were a bit more wide open in terms of representation of other teams.  Heck, we’ve had Colorado and Georgia Tech win in the past.  That sounds fantastical now.  

18 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I have family in Arkansas and I used to spend time there every year.  They are college football mad.  12 months a year Razorback football country.  I went to a cousin’s wedding in May.  People were literally talking college football.  They are disappointed with where they’ve been in recent years.  

College football is so top heavy right now.  I heard some stat about how many of the top 4 spots have gone to Clemson, Bama, Georgia, LSU, and OSU since the CFP started.  It was a nutty statistic.  

IMO, college football would be a lot more fun if it were a bit more wide open in terms of representation of other teams.  Heck, we’ve had Colorado and Georgia Tech win in the past.  That sounds fantastical now.  

This is the 7th year of the CFP, so with this year's games, that's 28 participants. Only 11 schools have played in the games....a very poor representation for college football.

Archived