Outback Bowl Pre-Game Thread

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

The only thing I am focusing is beating Ole Miss and end our long 26 year drought 

I agree. Let’s get a bowl win, stop the national talk about us not winning a bowl game since the early 90’s and go on to start stacking more bowl wins.

I was, and am,  ticked that we got shafted by the bowl committee but also wonder.....when a big-time recruit visits in 2-3 years and sees (hopefully) some sort of plaque that says “IU 43- Ole Miss 14, January 2nd Outback Bowl in Tampa Fl to finish the season #6 in the country” would they really feel any differently if they saw that we had played in the Citrus Bowl? We would have beaten a SEC team in a January bowl game in Florida which resonates more than something like the Motor City bowl in December. I doubt most recruits will even know wether Oregon or Ole Miss had a better season in 2020. We were absolutely shafted but can still build off an Outback Bowl win.

2 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

I agree. Let’s get a bowl win, stop the national talk about us not winning a bowl game since the early 90’s and go on to start stacking more bowl wins.

I was, and am,  ticked that we got shafted by the bowl committee but also wonder.....when a big-time recruit visits in 2-3 years and sees (hopefully) some sort of plaque that says “IU 43- Ole Miss 14, January 2nd Outback Bowl in Tampa Fl to finish the season #6 in the country” would they really feel any differently if they saw that we had played in the Citrus Bowl? We would have beaten a SEC team in a January bowl game in Florida which resonates more than something like the Motor City bowl in December. I doubt most recruits will even know wether Oregon or Ole Miss had a better season in 2020. We were absolutely shafted but can still build off an Outback Bowl win.

We win this game.  We will be in top 10 to start next season, and as you say nobody will remember much about the game except that we won.

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

Seriously.. as a parent.. how would you say no to Tom Allen? Especially as a single mother, I am just in awe of him. I would trust him with my life, because I would know my life means more to him than his own. That's powerful. 

Tom Allen is the best thing to ever happen to the IU football program in recent history.  And some respect to Fred for giving him the opportunity.

Bill Mallory is the greatest coach in IU football history so far, but the administration left him.

I think CTA will get the funding and support Bill didnt get. 

Good days ahead.  

6 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

It is obvious most of the teams in the B1G don't want us to be good.  We've been an easy W for the last 30 years.  IU whining and throwing fits isn't going to change anything.  The only way we're going to get respect is to earn it.  If we can keep stringing together 8+ win seasons and stay in the top 25 for a long stretch, we'll start to get to the point where we're important to the conference.  Northwestern and Wisconsin used to be in our position, and now they're passing us over for bowl games.  I can't wait until that is reversed.

There are really only 2 bad streaks left for our football team.  Winning a bowl game, and beating OSU.  Let's take one of those off the list against Ole Miss.

Exactly.  I’d say one more good IU season and the rest of the Big Ten East will be bitching about the truly insane imbalance between the divisions.  

4 hours ago, IU878176 said:

If we crush Mississippi State then our final ranking could be even better.  The takeaway from the season will be the final top 5 ranking not whatever BS bowl game we got due to Barta’s corruption. 

7 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Exactly.  I’d say one more good IU season and the rest of the Big Ten East will be bitching about the truly insane imbalance between the divisions.  

The East is going to be a nightmare if we keep winning like this and Michigan and PSU get it together again. There could be 4 top 15 teams in the same division.  Kind of like some of the years when MSU was highly ranked, except we'd be in that pack instead of having to play all 4 of them.

7 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

If we crush Mississippi State then our final ranking could be even better.  The takeaway from the season will be the final top 5 ranking not whatever BS bowl game we got due to Barta’s corruption. 

Even if the polls don't like our opponent or how we play, we'll still be top 10 with a win. I think top 5 will be tough to crack.

49 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Just leave no doubt. This is a game that I am all for running up the score. I want our team to remember the all out disrespect on every play and take it out on the Rebels. 

Yes. And no prevent defense when we're up like last year with Tennessee.  I would think CTA will have some internal struggles balancing wanting to pound Ole Miss into the ground, and respecting a university he cares so much about. Hope he destroys them, then sends them a basket of muffins for forgiveness!

3 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Cheering against Ole Miss: Job requirement. Getting to cheer for former employer at the same time: bonus. 

Have you ever looked at MSUs baseball stadium? image.png.9f76d4f0161bec9b2995e8facda99f13.png

image.png.a752e6962f2c160b8498bcd35a6e94f6.png

holds 13K.. they've had 16K at a game before. 

Two springs ago my fiancé and I were praying they sent IU to MSU for the regional to experience the stadium. Instead we were sent to the dump that is the University of Louisville. Wooof. 

On 12/25/2020 at 12:54 PM, Billingsley99 said:

How could you not want to play for this man

I would storm the beaches of Nomandy for this guy. We had Mallory and Hep but Tom Allen is #1. 

He is from Indiana and truly believes in IU football and its potential. And he is following through.

I honestly believe this is his dream job and he will never give up and will find a way to make winning a tradition.  

Archived