Illinois Postgame Thread

KDB

I don’t want to see the coach beat a kid up but at the very least hold them accountable.

If TJD wants to jog back, pull him. Outside of transition offense, if you aimlessly dribble while the post players fight for position and call for the ball, no matter what set play is being run, pull him. Be ready and able to call an audible. See the floor or ride the bench.

If IU is playing a mostly freshmen Butler squad, and you can’t play your own freshmen even 1 for 1, you recruited the wrong kids.

I’ve been a Miller supporter since the beginning. He can get there but needs lots of work of his own. Cut the pampering and start stomping on toes. 

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

There was nothing abusive in that audio. I don’t consider raising your voice or using foul language abusive. Doesn’t mean I behave the same way. Are our young men the same age serving in the Army being abused? Just wondering because I’m pretty sure they are made to run and get cursed at fairly often from my family experiences....unless that had changed too in the past couple years.

I know you weren't quoting me, but do you think CAM doesn't raise his voice or swear? I mean, what evidence is there of that? I could say it's just not the case, but curious why you would believe so, if you do? As to the army thing, guys getting trained for war, to kill or be killed, is just worlds different than coaching college basketball players, to play a game. There's just no analogy there.

19 minutes ago, dgambill said:

There was nothing abusive in that audio. I don’t consider raising your voice or using foul language abusive. Doesn’t mean I behave the same way. Are our young men the same age serving in the Army being abused? Just wondering because I’m pretty sure they are made to run and get cursed at fairly often from my family experiences....unless that had changed too in the past couple years.

To add to what @Hoosierhoopster said, people in the Army are absolutely abused. Yes, fighting in a war largely accounts for the mental issues vets have but let's not pretend the training isn't a factor in that too. 

I'm not going to get into a discussion of rather or not the ends justify the means when it comes to the military, but they certainly don't for sports. 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

To add to what @Hoosierhoopster said, people in the Army are absolutely abused. Yes, fighting in a war largely accounts for the mental issues vets have but let's not pretend the training isn't a factor in that too. 

I'm not going to get into a discussion of rather or not the ends justify the means when it comes to the military, but they certainly don't for sports. 

If you say so. You are entitled to your opinion. I don’t think using some colorful language and making a kid run his butt off is abuse. Agreed to disagree as you said. I’ll remove my post so as not to stir up trouble.

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

If you say so. You are entitled to your opinion. I don’t think using some colorful language and making a kid run his butt off is abuse. Agreed to disagree as you said. I’ll remove my post so as not to stir up trouble.

Well I have a friend that was in the military, never was deployed, and committed suicide. I'm not going to pretend the military training was the only factor there, but honestly get the hell out of here pretending that type of "training" doesn't have a major negative impact on young, developing minds. The psychological toll of that type of treatment is well documented. 

As an adult, I'm not willing to sacrifice young people's mental well being to win a few more children's competitions that I don't actually have any stake in. 

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Well I have a friend that was in the military, never was deployed, and committed suicide. I'm not going to pretend the military training was the only factor there, but honestly get the hell out of here pretending that type of "training" doesn't have a major negative impact on young, developing minds. The psychological toll of that type of treatment is well documented. 

As an adult, I'm not willing to sacrifice young people's mental well being to win a few more children's competitions that I don't actually have any stake in. 

That’s fine. Your opinion. That training also saved millions of service members lives as well. Hard to say what all played factor. Not trying to trivialize anything. I’m sorry for your loss and thank him and his family for their sacrifice.

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

That’s fine. Your opinion. That training also saved millions of service members lives as well. Hard to say what all played factor. Not trying to trivialize anything. I’m sorry for your loss and thank him and his family for their sacrifice.

Appreciate the thoughts man. 

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Without trying to waylay the discussion, I second the condolences.  That’s truly sad to hear.  And we definitely appreciate his service.  

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Appreciate the thoughts man. 

Of course. Absolutely sincere! We all disagree and we all sit at different points on the spectrum on many different issues but this forum is something like a family and when one hurts we all hurt! My immense gratitude and respect to all those like my cousins and others who have paid for our freedoms with their sacrifice and unfortunately their lives. I’m sorry if I offended anyone with my comments and even though I have my opinions doesn’t mean I want to hurt others with them. 

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Of course. Absolutely sincere! We all disagree and we all sit at different points on the spectrum on many different issues but this forum is something like a family and when one hurts we all hurt! My immense gratitude and respect to all those like my cousins and others who have paid for our freedoms with their sacrifice and unfortunately their lives. I’m sorry if I offended anyone with my comments and even though I have my opinions doesn’t mean I want to hurt others with them. 

Oh I knew it was sincere. I don't think you said anything offensive at all, we just disagreed. 

Archived