Illinois Postgame Thread

KDB

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

This was never a game any of us would have put in the W column at the beginning of the season.  This loss is not nearly as costly as NW was.  

We never thought we would win the game

Archie did not miss the shots

We lost to a good team

If only, for each of the last 3 years, we had another big, PG and shooter

The meanie Robbie does not allow Archie to do anything with the roster but somehow allowed  him run/push out Galon, Forrester, Moore and Damezi.

The Crean players

Injuries

The refs

Its only been 2,3, 3+ years

I liked that we played hard, AF has come a long way, Galloway could be legit, etc but we allowed another patented 0-14 type run and lost. At some point, no matter how many “buts” we have, the record will matter.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

• Honest question.  What if Archie just has the wrong guards?  He glommed onto Rob and Al, but what if instead he had two tough minded, competitive guards who got better and better?  I just don’t see Rob and Al as first division starting guards.   If that’s the real issue, and certainly Archie is part of that for counting on them, but he could be a capable coach. 

Agree with your comments that the game was for the taking, we played hard, the rotation was good, AF is legit, etc...All positive.

In regards to your guards question. Many say that guards are the most important position in college basketball but in our case Rob and Al get a lot of PT but ideally should be very good backups, rather than major minute guys, on a decent team . Al “is what he is” which to me is a good 4 year player that should be a valuable player off the bench (instead of a major minute guy). Not a knock on Al as that is a valuable position within a team. Rob seems like a great guy that has been snake bitten by injuries. Early in his freshman year I thought he would be 2nd team all-BT his junior year and possibly 1st team BT as a senior. I still think he can turn it around but he might be a top tier back-up type guy (again, not meant as a shot at him) rather than a PG for a top 3-4  type of Big Ten team.

Folks Northwestern is tough. Showed it again today. Doesn’t mean I’m happy about losing to them at home because we win if we had played like we did today, and you should never lose to them at home. However, if our games moving further resemble today more than Wed we’ll win some you guys don’t think we will. Not to mention TJD was bad today and we still had a chance to beat a top 25 team on the road. I’m remaining optimistic. The next two should be absolutes! Nobody is winning at Wiscy this year, but then we SHOULD win the following two.  I’m remaining optimistic. Progress isn’t as quick as we’d like, but there is progress and I’ll hang my hat on that for now. I’m not a quitter. 

I thought we would start 2-0 instead of 0-2. We match up well with Illini. We missed Brunk's size wise in both games. TDJ hits his normal shots early we are up 10 quickly and a whole different game. We are close to being a good or a very good team. I would like Archie play the Freshman more together. I thought Rob played the way we thought he would after his Freshman year for about a 5 min. spurt which is what we miss for 25 min. a game with him, Trey needs to quit the Yogi thing and shoot instead of over passing, Not a bad loss but another loss. We can't keep losing and exspect to make the dance!!! I liked the T!! on CAM. Some complain about Hunter but if we would run some 3 pt. trys for him I think he will get better and more confident. He is still trying to get to where he was and maybe he never will get there. Reminds me of M. Creek

Illinois is a good team. Northwestern might be a good team. Texas and Florida St are good teams too. But if Indiana is going to become the program we want it to be, we need to beat good teams. We're 5-4, with two wins over cupcakes. By itself there's no shame in losing to a ranked team on the road, but when are we going to start regularly winning these games? Yeah, the Big Ten is as tough as ever this year, but there are always great teams at the top. The goal is to be one of those teams, not to accept close losses because the other team was just better than us.

2 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Illinois is a good team. Northwestern might be a good team. Texas and Florida St are good teams too. But if Indiana is going to become the program we want it to be, we need to beat good teams. We're 5-4, with two wins over cupcakes. By itself there's no shame in losing to a ranked team on the road, but when are we going to start regularly winning these games? Yeah, the Big Ten is as tough as ever this year, but there are always great teams at the top. The goal is to be one of those teams, not to accept close losses because the other team was just better than us.

And 2 years ago we were ahead of Illinois.  Last year we were ahead of Northwestern. How come these teams were able to surpass us so easily. 

Thought IU did a good job of keeping the pace slow and making it into a grind. Key move was Underwood putting Giorgi in with Kofi for the run that got UI the lead, then it was time for the closer, aka Ayo. Think Miller would probably not keep TJD out as long as he did if he had a second chance at it. If IU could find another shooter along with Franklin, that would help.

The reality is three of our four losses are games almost every team in the country loses. I know most of you don't want to hear that, but it's true. I don't like being 5-4, but I also think there's a pretty clear progression this year. 

Archie hasn't really caught many (any?) breaks in his time here, yet we keep getting better every year and are usually playing our best ball come March. Let's see how this season plays out...

11 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

And 2 years ago we were ahead of Illinois.  Last year we were ahead of Northwestern. How come these teams were able to surpass us so easily. 

Surpass so easily? Ayo and Kofi were both gone at the end of last year. I know our little Quincy friend will come along and try to debate....but you do realize that if Covid didn't hit and there were actually camps this past summer Illinois had 45 and 17 removed from their lineup today?

Surpass so easily. Some of you guys.....I understand frustration but you also have to isolate and recognize and have the ability to realize phrases like "surpass us so easily" are just nonsense. 

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

The reality is three of our four losses are games almost every team in the country loses. I know most of you don't want to hear that, but it's true. I don't like being 5-4, but I also think there's a pretty clear progression this year. 

Archie hasn't really caught many (any?) breaks in his time here, yet we keep getting better every year and are usually playing our best ball come March. Let's see how this season plays out...

Agree all day. Maybe time to step away from the most level headed of IU boards. Giorgi hits a 3 he never hits, 2 balls bounced off the board into Illinois hands.....Ayo hits a 3 in a poorly executed 34 seconds.....TJD gets his third 20 feet away and takes him out.....it's almost if we all aren't watching the same game. 

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Agree all day. Maybe time to step away from the most level headed of IU boards. Giorgi hits a 3 he never hits, 2 balls bounced off the board into Illinois hands.....Ayo hits a 3 in a poorly executed 34 seconds.....TJD gets his third 20 feet away and takes him out.....it's almost if we all aren't watching the same game. 

I have deliberately pulled back and am at the point that I don’t want to participate on this forum anymore. Too much negativity without merit, IMO.

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Surpass so easily? Ayo and Kofi were both gone at the end of last year. I know our little Quincy friend will come along and try to debate....but you do realize that if Covid didn't hit and there were actually camps this past summer Illinois had 45 and 17 removed from their lineup today?

Surpass so easily. Some of you guys.....I understand frustration but you also have to isolate and recognize and have the ability to realize phrases like "surpass us so easily" are just nonsense. 

They surpassed us last year and are better than us this year.  

So in what way have they not surpassed us?  

Is their coach on the hot seat.  Deluding yourself about our standing in the conference doesn’t change where we are. 

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

, yet we keep getting better every year and are usually playing our best ball come March. Let's see how this season plays out...

I hate to keep sounding negative but, in regards to we “are usually playing our best ball come March” ??????
Last year, before beating a terrible NB team in the BT tourney, we lost 3 of our last 4 games and 8 of our last 12....Hardly a run.

The year before we had a play-in game for the tourney, against OSU, and played like we were close to overdosing on Ambien.

Throughout Archie’s tenure we have been up and down, with some good wins, but in no way do I think we have “ peaked” at the end of Archie’s seasons. Sorry if that sounds negative but that is how it looks to me.

20 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Better every year?  By what metric?  We have fallen in the big ten standings every year 

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Yet, it was a 2 point game with under 3 minutes to go...

Chase Audige hit shots under duress...big shots...I think he hit his last 5 in a row...

The league is seeing Northwestern is a good team...they have size (Beran, Nance, Young) shooting (Kopp, Buie, Berry, Audige) and they play a pretty good defense.

If we hadn't competed, they would have ran us out of the gym...

It's just not that NW a good team, but that we can't compete with them and even win at home that upsets me.  There goes another team getting ahead of us.

Had to miss the game, my dog is going through something we’re trying you figure out, at the animal hospital now. For others with dogs, you guys know how important they are to you, so a little perspective this is just a basketball game.

That said from a box score standpoint and reading comments here really impressed with AF’s game today - would love it if that’s to be expected going forward. And glad we saw a lineup tweak, that’s a start. Think we’ll win the next two then go from there 

Re: Phinisee

Very long time lurker and without going into too much detail, I'm a doctor that works with athletes with psychological preparation. I have no contacts with IU, but I do know that Phinisee has suffered concussion problems and that can cause some issues within the player themselves that is hard for them to get over even if given a clean bill of health. I have no insight into any of this on a personal level with Rob as I haven't worked with him individually. Only thought I'd share as people here have mentioned they haven't seen a ton of improvement from Rob over the years he's been in Bloomington. 

Take my opinion with a grain of salt. It's a very OUTSIDE view from an outsider. But I've seen this kind of stuff before and it makes me wonder if Rob's trajectory has been thrown completely off from what we'd thought he'd be after his freshman season. I'm just a big IU fan. Didn't go to the university but grew up in Indiana. No inside information, but wonder if maybe Rob's stalling has to do with his concussions and the aftermath. 

Hope I'm completely off base, but interesting to think about.

36 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I have deliberately pulled back and am at the point that I don’t want to participate on this forum anymore. Too much negativity without merit, IMO.

Totally agree. I think I’m going to go dormant for a bit on this forum that I’ve enjoyed so much. I feel like too many posters are searching for the negatives and aren’t willing to see or acknowledge any positives, and it just becomes exhausting at times. My words get twisted when I back my claims up with Kenpom statistics and it just gets old. I’ll be rooting for this team because I really like these guys, and I like our coach and want to give him every opportunity to make this program as successful as possible. I think this coach can do it and I’m excited to watch this young core continue to develop this year. 

Just finished watching.  We played tough for most of the game.  The difference between the two teams was pretty clear - Ayo. 

That said in year 4 of Archie's tenure where is our Ayo?  Franklin is trying to be but not quite there.  Our other guards aren't even worth mentioning at this point. 

Its also frustrating to even entertain comments like "we competed with Northwestern and Illinois".   But I guess that's where we're at right now. 

Agree with most of what was said about the young guys playing together well.  The chemistry on both sides of the ball seems to work better with more of the Freshman and Sophs on the floor. 

Has anyone seen Race Thompson?  I thought he still played for us. 

Archived