It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

3 hours ago, Fundamentals said:

Stated another way: Scott Drew’s offense?  Doesn’t impress me in the least.  Baylor scores because they score in transition very well and can shoot the 3.  The offense itself?  Very mediocre as far as half-court movement. 

Agree with this from what I've seen. It's mostly guys trying to create their own shot off the dribble. Very little motion and passing. But, I'll admit this is from a small sample size. I haven't watched a lot of Baylor this year.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AxnJxn said:

My issue with firing CAM now is really kind of stupid, but I really want to see what this freshman class does next year and going forward. It's a really interesting mix of skills - Leal can shoot, Geronimo looks like a highlight reel waiting to happen, Lander looks like he's going to be the PG we've been missing for 4 years, and Galloway has that basketball IQ we all talk about (ok, ok, he's taken a couple of really dumb shots, but anyway). Combine that with a healthy Franklin who, before his injury, looked like he was developing into our Aaron Henry guy who could create his own shot and was the go to guy down the stretch. Mix in another year of Race, and I'm intrigued to see how it goes.

On the other hand, it's really bad right now, and another loss to Purdue is going to be pretty much rock bottom.

well, i know this comes across very negative, but... i don't think this is exactly a special freshman class.  i like all of the guys.  i do think it's a nice mix.  i do think there is potential, but Lander is really the only star power and he's looking a little scary right now.  then they are a group of role players.  

4 hours ago, Fundamentals said:

Stated another way: Scott Drew’s offense?  Doesn’t impress me in the least.  Baylor scores because they score in transition very well and can shoot the 3.  The offense itself?  Very mediocre as far as half-court movement. 

good point. His offense is even less sophisticated than Kentucky...it is all predicated on athleticism and strength and spacing...

4 hours ago, Fundamentals said:

Archie Miller will be the coach next season UNLESS he chases a role with another school.  That said, changes are needed.  Load up on transfers, mix it together over the offseason and reheat.  

I’ve seen enough to come to a somewhat settled position on Archie.  He is capable.  BUT, he must get talented guards who can shoot, handle the ball with pace.  Also, he must get TALENT to get into the up tier of the conference.  2 deficiencies must get fixed: shooting and talent. 

This is pretty much my conclusion as well. He's a good coach. But the talent he's bringing in isn't good enough. Talk all you want about player development, if your team goes 2-20 from threes, you have a talent issue. They have a team of role players, they need more firepower and way better guards. I just don't see Archie getting canned this year whether he should or not. Try to load up on transfers and go from there. 

I'm amazed that Archie literally let TJD drop an "F you" on him during a time out and he then put him back in the game. TJD was mad from the possession before when they called a set for Rob to hit a 3 and he stood and pouted while the set was being run and then yelled at the bench running back down the court. DD was right about his attitude when he called him out last week. He is about himself more than the team. Should he have gotten the ball there? Probably but Archie can't let players show him up and he did. It's no wonder these guys don't listen to him when he can't hold his best player accountable he can't hold anyone accountable. 

17 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I'm amazed that Archie literally let TJD drop an "F you" on him during a time out and he then put him back in the game. TJD was mad from the possession before when they called a set for Rob to hit a 3 and he stood and pouted while the set was being run and then yelled at the bench running back down the court. DD was right about his attitude when he called him out last week. He is about himself more than the team. Should he have gotten the ball there? Probably but Archie can't let players show him up and he did. It's no wonder these guys don't listen to him when he can't hold his best player accountable he can't hold anyone accountable. 

The tone was set when he handled RL with kid gloves. RL could take coaching but unfortunatly for him he received none and CAM was a yes guy and the other players saw that and when puch came to shove he did not want to have it thrown in his face that he favors the star. In turn everyone does what they want. According to all the CAM apologists RL was the cancer then it was DG then JS and so on and so on when in reality the Cancer is the man sitting on the stool with his head in his hands. 

13 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

The tone was set when he handled RL with kid gloves. RL could take coaching but unfortunatly for him he received none and CAM was a yes guy and the other players saw that and when puch came to shove he did not want to have it thrown in his face that he favors the star. In turn everyone does what they want. According to all the CAM apologists RL was the cancer then it was DG then JS and so on and so on when in reality the Cancer is the man sitting on the stool with his head in his hands. 

Yeah Dakich hit that nail on the head.  Romeo was completely misused. 

36 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

This may be a good place to re-post this..

There is a person on another board who works for IU. There is a person on another board who works for IU I believe. He said the athletic department is trying to find out if they would lose more money getting rid of Archie or keeping him do to apathy. They are hurting financially do to losing 40 million this year but they are thinking it might be better to move on now. This goes along with what I said a couple days ago. This guy also said feelers have been sent out to other current head coaches and it's not been great. Stevens is a pipe dream. It's pointing to an IU guy that wants to job and won't cost a ton of money. He might not be a home run people are looking for but it's probably the most realistic option and it's not Alford. 

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Agree with this from what I've seen. It's mostly guys trying to create their own shot off the dribble. Very little motion and passing. But, I'll admit this is from a small sample size. I haven't watched a lot of Baylor this year.

Well I don’t want to be a Debbie downer and I haven’t watched a single minute of Baylor, but are walking into Crean’s offense 2.0 if we hire him? Where all it takes to beat them is a disciplined, half court team that’s even close to their talent level?

2 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

There is a person on another board who works for IU. There is a person on another board who works for IU I believe. He said the athletic department is trying to find out if they would lose more money getting rid of Archie or keeping him do to apathy. They are hurting financially do to losing 40 million this year but they are thinking it might be better to move on now. This goes along with what I said a couple days ago. This guy also said feelers have been sent out to other current head coaches and it's not been great. Stevens is a pipe dream. It's pointing to an IU guy that wants to job and won't cost a ton of money. He might not be a home run people are looking for but it's probably the most realistic option and it's not Alford. 

Lovely. There’s nothing that squelches apathy more than an uninspiring hire.

6 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Something that happened 2 years ago has nothing to do with what happened last night. People change especially when they start thinking about the NBA. He clearly was pouting and then during a time out looks down at CAM and says " That's BS" and then says "F you". 

5 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Fife?  

The school screwed the pooch.  If they are not hitting on any of their targets, stick a fork in us.  We're done.  They are going to do another cross your fingers hire and hope they hit on another Terri Moren/Allen type of situation as someone else mentioned. 

It is time for the Indiana fan base to get their expectations in alignment with the people who run IU.  Dolson laid it out to AJ Guyton.  We want people to graduate.  We want good kids.  We want that LEO vibe all over the athletic department....and oh yeah, we want to win too but that is the afterthought.  These other hoops are more important and that is why winning was down the list.  We are a participation trophy school.  Our athletics should be viewed much the same way you view athletics for your 8 year old.  The outcome on the field doesn't matter as much as what is learned from the game.

Glad we are finally getting that laid out.  I take that approach to go watch my kids...but I sure as hell am not wasting my time to go watch someone else's kid under that expectation level.   Best of luck IU and Dolson if you go that route.  There's a reason Northwestern has nobody at their games.  Guess you all better figure out how to raise that academic profile so we have something to brag about.

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Fife?  

The school screwed the pooch.  If they are not hitting on any of their targets, stick a fork in us.  We're done.  They are going to do another cross your fingers hire and hope they hit on another Terri Moren/Allen type of situation as someone else mentioned. 

It is time for the Indiana fan base to get their expectations in alignment with the people who run IU.  Dolson laid it out to AJ Guyton.  We want people to graduate.  We want good kids.  We want that LEO vibe all over the athletic department....and oh yeah, we want to win too but that is the afterthought.  These other hoops are more important and that is why winning was down the list.  We are a participation trophy school.  Our athletics should be viewed much the same way you view athletics for your 8 year old.  The outcome on the field doesn't matter as much as what is learned from the game.

Glad we are finally getting that laid out.  I take that approach to go watch my kids...but I sure as hell am not wasting my time to go watch someone else's kid under that expectation level.   Best of luck IU and Dolson if you go that route.  There's a reason Northwestern has nobody at their games.  Guess you all better figure out how to raise that academic profile so we have something to brag about.

Yes, Fife. The guy said he doesn't know for sure that Fife has been reached out to yet but he thinks it could be what happens based on what he's heard. I personally think Fife could succeed at IU after learning from being a head coach and coaching with a hall of famer in Izzo. 

5 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Yes, Fife. The guy said he doesn't know for sure that Fife has been reached out to yet but he thinks it could be what happens based on what he's heard. I personally think Fife could succeed at IU after learning from being a head coach and coaching with a hall of famer in Izzo. 

Ummmm, Crean learned from the same HoFer.  Just sayin'

10 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Something that happened 2 years ago has nothing to do with what happened last night. People change especially when they start thinking about the NBA. He clearly was pouting and then during a time out looks down at CAM and says " That's BS" and then says "F you". 

No denying that. But he didn't arrive at IU that way. He was an unselfish team player or he hid it well. I think it's the former because no one accused him of being selfish last year. So what happened?

The first time I recall a hint of this was the FSU game this year when he yelled at his teammates to get him the f-ing ball. He played 40 minutes, had 25 points and 17 rebounds, yet they lost. Rob and Al combined for 5-20.

In the first MSU game, TJD played 37 minutes, had 34 points and 9 rebounds, and they lost. Rob and Al were a combined 0-10.

Last night he only played 27 minutes, was in foul trouble, and attempted only 5 shots. Rob and Al were a combined 6-23.

There have been times when TJD hasn't given 100% effort, but he typically has to play nearly a full game against teams that rotate players bigger than him. I suspect he's just frustrated and tired of losing.

6 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Crean did too though.  

3 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

No denying that. But he didn't arrive at IU that way. He was an unselfish team player or he hid it well. I think it's the former because no one accused him of being selfish last year. So what happened?

The first time I recall a hint of this was the FSU game this year when he yelled at his teammates to get him the f-ing ball. He played 40 minutes, had 25 points and 17 rebounds, yet they lost. Rob and Al combined for 5-20.

In the first MSU game, TJD played 37 minutes, had 34 points and 9 rebounds, and they lost. Rob and Al were a combined 0-10.

Last night he only played 27 minutes, was in foul trouble, and attempted only 5 shots. Rob and Al were a combined 6-23.

There have been times when TJD hasn't given 100% effort, but he typically has to play nearly a full game against teams that rotate players bigger than him. I suspect he's just frustrated and tired of losing.

Great info...but all it tells us is something we already knew.  Our guards under perform.

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

This could have been 2 years ago or last night. Same old stuff. Funny that I was not only one noticed putting guys in the corner

Not only just guys, the best damn players on the team.  Romeo and now Franklin when healthy.  Mind boggling 

1 minute ago, rico said:

Great info...but all it tells us is something we already knew.  Our guards under perform.

But if I'm TJD, do I take the ball up against a double team or do I pass it out to a wide open guard for an airball. I recall a recent game where he was doubled, he looked to a wide open Lander outside the arc, paused and then put up a shot. I really can't blame him.

31 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Appreciate the post and the first part makes a lot of sense, but I find it hard to believe someone would be privy to the feelers and then be able to share that on a message board, so color me skeptical.

Just now, IUwins0708 said:

Not only just guys, the best damn players on the team.  Romeo and now Franklin when healthy.  Mind boggling 

What the hell do I know, I was barely above a .500 coach at the high school level so surely these college coaches know more about placement of your best player that can get to the rim at will.  Right...

Just now, IUwins0708 said:

Archived