It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

I thought the primary reason schools agree to buyouts is to keep successful coaches, but all I've seen so far is failing coaches reap the benefits. 

It kept Jamie Dixon at TCU when UCLA came calling...

Tournament all in Indiana with the most amount of Big Ten teams making it, probably...and, Indiana might now unless there is a long run in BIGT.  This, a big time Illinois fan pointed out to me today.  Although I know this info, others are starting to connect.  It's time to bring someone home who understands the rivalry and what Indiana basketball means to it's alumni and fans.

When I was looking at schools in the 90's in the suburbs of Chicago, IU outreach banquet started by showing pictures of I. Thomas and IU basketball.  I wonder what they do now? Kids are talking about football, which is awesome, but basketball, IU basketball is no longer cool.  Bring back the cool factor, bring back your own.  

If they do bring Archie back they better have an easy non conference schedule to build up some wins.  If they don't and he loses a couple early on it will be twice as bad as it has been this year.  It will get bad before Christmas and nobody wants to go through another year like this year.

The only time I have seen any media who has said that they think Archie will be back is because of the buyout.  I have not seen one who said they thought he needs more time or they see progress being made.  I know there are a few here who think he needs more time but you guys are in the minority of the fans that I have read.  I just think in the long run they would lose more money by keeping him than what the buyout would cost to fire him this year.

1 minute ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Tournament all in Indiana with the most amount of Big Ten teams making it, probably...and, Indiana might now unless there is a long run in BIGT.  This, a big time Illinois fan pointed out to me today.  Although I know this info, others are starting to connect.  It's time to bring someone home who understands the rivalry and what Indiana basketball means to it's alumni and fans.

When I was looking at schools in the 90's in the suburbs of Chicago, IU outreach banquet started by showing pictures of I. Thomas and IU basketball.  I wonder what they do now? Kids are talking about football, which is awesome, but basketball, IU basketball is no longer cool.  Bring back the cool factor, bring back your own.  

No matter who the coach is at IU they need to get out more in the public and local media.  I never heard Crean or Archie on any local radio stations but I do hear Painter all over the place and was on JMV today.  Even though Dane fife is an assistant he is on local radio a lot as well and he is at MSU.  I hear coach Allen on the local radio so the basketball coach needs to be out there and being heard and promote the team.  i don't know if they think that IU basketball doesn't need to be promoted but right now PU is ahead of us so get out there.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

No matter who the coach is at IU they need to get out more in the public and local media.  I never heard Crean or Archie on any local radio stations but I do hear Painter all over the place and was on JMV today.  Even though Dane fife is an assistant he is on local radio a lot as well and he is at MSU.  I hear coach Allen on the local radio so the basketball coach needs to be out there and being heard and promote the team.  i don't know if they think that IU basketball doesn't need to be promoted but right now PU is ahead of us so get out there.

Crean was on the radio.  Archie, not so much.  Dane Fife has the craziness, drive, personality to thrive in this role.  He was a head coach, grew up in a basketball family, has been one of the greatest coaches top assistant and played for the an all time best coach.  Got to give him a look.  And, he loves IU, left his home state with deep roots to michigan basketball for IU.

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If they do bring Archie back they better have an easy non conference schedule to build up some wins.  If they don't and he loses a couple early on it will be twice as bad as it has been this year.  It will get bad before Christmas and nobody wants to go through another year like this year.

The only time I have seen any media who has said that they think Archie will be back is because of the buyout.  I have not seen one who said they thought he needs more time or they see progress being made.  I know there are a few here who think he needs more time but you guys are in the minority of the fans that I have read.  I just think in the long run they would lose more money by keeping him than what the buyout would cost to fire him this year.

What if it’s a easy non-conference schedule and they have some early losses anyway? And even if they beat up some cupcakes, the fans won’t buy it. It might make them more upset. lol

Next year could be as bad as Crean’s last year. It’s a massive risk and honestly could easily happen with this program.

I don’t see any reason to delay it another year but I think that is exactly what’s going to happen. 

15 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Crean was on the radio.  Archie, not so much.  Dane Fife has the craziness, drive, personality to thrive in this role.  He was a head coach, grew up in a basketball family, has been one of the greatest coaches top assistant and played for the an all time best coach.  Got to give him a look.  And, he loves IU, left his home state with deep roots to michigan basketball for IU.

I don't remember hearing Crean on local radio that much.

26 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Just a question. Are you saying your Illini friend is trying to instruct what IU should be doing? Here's my thing about Illinois. They'll be known as the Fighting Cicadas this spring. Relevant once every 16-17 years. 

We are certainly in some dark times but the day Illinois fans give us advice and we listen? With the exception of this year they have been the epitome of dumpster fire in all sports for 15+ years. Hard pass on listening to them. Just my two cents of course.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Crean's buyout didn't work that way.  It was only if we fired him did We have to pay a large buyout.  I'm pretty sure he could've been hired away for nothing.  Thanks Fred. 

I'm pretty sure you are wrong, but as long as you are thanking him, can you please thank him for improvements to Memorial Stadium, and Assembly Hall?  Maybe throw in a couple for Teri Moren, Tom Allen, Jeff Mercer?  And for the love of all things Snowling, please don't say no one cares about other IU sports.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Just a question. Are you saying your Illini friend is trying to instruct what IU should be doing? Here's my thing about Illinois. They'll be known as the Fighting Cicadas this spring. Relevant once every 16-17 years. 

We are certainly in some dark times but the day Illinois fans give us advice and we listen? With the exception of this year they have been the epitome of dumpster fire in all sports for 15+ years. Hard pass on listening to them. Just my two cents of course.

I'm saying it is sad when fans from other programs are seeing success and IU isn't.  Motivation- the entire tournament is in your state and you end the season on a big loosing streak.  Where is the pride or honor to play and coach for this program and university?

34 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

I'm saying it is sad when fans from other programs are seeing success and IU isn't.  Motivation- the entire tournament is in your state and you end the season on a big loosing streak.  Where is the pride or honor to play and coach for this program and university?

Got it! Just separating the two. We can 1) handle our own business and be disgusted with our results while 2) not taking hoops advice from anyone associated with the University of Illinois. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I don't remember hearing Crean on local radio that much.

So I don’t listen to talk/sports radio that often, at least not local, but I was just thinking about this the other day.  I used to hear various stories all the time of how Crean did XYZ for a fan or the fanbase.  Always a lot of good stories out there from him at Cook Hall jist shooting it with fans to do it if time and resources for a good cause.  I always appreciated hearing about those things.  I even really enjoyed Haunted Hall of hoops with my family.

Not trying to accuse Archie of not doing that but I can’t honestly think of any stories I have heard about him that are in line with what I used to hear about Crean.  I was thinking about it and found it odd and wondered if it was just coincidence.

1 minute ago, iuthruandthru said:

So I don’t listen to talk/sports radio that often, at least not local, but I was just thinking about this the other day.  I used to hear various stories all the time of how Crean did XYZ for a fan or the fanbase.  Always a lot of good stories out there from him at Cook Hall jist shooting it with fans to do it if time and resources for a good cause.  I always appreciated hearing about those things.  I even really enjoyed Haunted Hall of hoops with my family.

Not trying to accuse Archie of not doing that but I can’t honestly think of any stories I have heard about him that are in line with what I used to hear about Crean.  I was thinking about it and found it odd and wondered if it was just coincidence.

I have no information but in my opinion Archie is very introverted and doesn't do those sort of things. To me he is a no nonsense person who coaches a basketball team. He is not into any sort of public relations. 
Just my opinion based upon watching him during his Indiana career.

Just now, jefftheref said:

I have no information but in my opinion Archie is very introverted and doesn't do those sort of things. To me he is a no nonsense person who coaches a basketball team. He is not into any sort of public relations. 
Just my opinion based upon watching him during his Indiana career.

I tend to agree and on the flip I know many didn’t like that Crean felt salesman like.  But I just wonder if him being an introvert has hurt him a lot with the fanbase.  

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

HBO ran a Perry Mason series last summer.  It was about his early days in the 1920s. He was a WWI vet.  My wife and I got a kick out of it.  

I'll have to check that out...I have HBO Max...should be on there I'd think...

1 minute ago, iuthruandthru said:

I tend to agree and on the flip I know many didn’t like that Crean felt salesman like.  But I just wonder if him being an introvert has hurt him a lot with the fanbase.  

It hasn't helped and then you throw in the performance on the court. Archie in my opinion is the wrong guy to lead this program. He is about as exciting as going to a wake. 

2 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

It hasn't helped and then you throw in the performance on the court. Archie in my opinion is the wrong guy to lead this program. He is about as exciting as going to a wake. 

Agreed.  Performance on the court has been horrible with zero improvement.  And yes, he might be the most boring person on earth.  Probably counts paperclips for fun.

2 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Archie's personality has definitely hurt him with the fan base and certainly doesn't help recruiting.  We don't need a weirdo again but the coach can't be a complete introvert either.

12 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

For the recruits we lost, I’d love to get an exit interview.  I would love to get a candid understanding of why we missed out.  Not meaning this as a pile on at all, but I wonder if some kids are  more interested in a more dynamic coach.  An introvert can sell but it’s got to be all on message almost at a perfect level.  

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

For the recruits we lost, I’d love to get an exit interview.  I would love to get a candid understanding of why we missed out.  Not meaning this as a pile on at all, but I wonder if some kids are  more interested in a more dynamic coach.  An introvert can sell but it’s got to be all on message almost at a perfect level.  

Or if the product itself is amazing.  Just doesn’t seem like his style Of play is selling itself at this point 

Archived