It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

Look guys. Every day there is some little jab taken at someone. Is it really not possible to have a discussion with opposing perspectives without feeling the need to bark louder?

Its really easy to read and disagree without responding with an flex directed at a member because they feel differently about the subject than you do. 

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

With the we're "on the same page" comment, plus hearing we are interested in the transfer from Indiana State, I wonder how likely this scenario is:  Dolson has told Archie his results are unacceptable, and Archie agrees.  They have agreed to let Archie aggressively work the transfer market for a few months to see if he can significantly upgrade the roster for next season.  If he can't, he could be let go mid-summer, much like Ohio State did with Thad Matta, which would then open the door for NBA candidates since their season would be over.

I doubt it. That wouldn’t set the new coach up for success in recruiting and would likely lead to several transfers in the months leading up to the season, which is disastrous. If Dolson is moving on, it would make little sense to wait and  see if recruiting picks up. Also, it would basically eliminate any possibility of getting a top tier college coach to come here, so he would be automatically reducing his potential pool of coaches.

47 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Well then it’s time for him to pull out his ace in the hole because he has dug himself a hole.

In my opinion, he’s a guy like that could go to a much weaker conference and have success possibly like Dennis Gates has at Cleveland State. That’s still a bit of a stretch but more likely than any potential success at a P5.

I was behind him until the results this year. The guy isn’t going to get it done. If it takes some specialty piece for him to have one good year or if the B1G has to be weak for him to finish middle of the pack as looks to be the case, he’s no good.

I liked the fire at first. I likes hearing from my friends on the med staff that he is a gym rat and much more organized than Crean. They said Crean would do practices on the fly via text notification. I was told how well he would get guys to play. The whole fan base is still waiting for that.

And the players? They come in as Mr Basketball or at least the high scorer on their  HS basketball team. They suit up for Miller and the ball turns into a brick. It’s been recently that some of the players don’t care for him at all.

Serious question. How many times do you recall this team getting down the floor in a fast break situation? Very little. His defensive philosophy when not executed correctly kills the chance at any transitional offense. I believe this team would have better results in a man to man or zone. 

He can steal coach Klein’s playbook all he wants. Be a master of Xs and Os. But it’s apparent he can’t translate that into a product on the floor that can win games. To me he has shown no ability whatsoever ever to coach at the level the IU is historically known for.

It’s been a while yes but now is the chance for a fresh AD to get it right.

"Bark! Bark! Bark, bark, bark!" 

;) 

23 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

At minimum, if Dolson gives him another year he should force him to bring in new assistants.  That's what OSU did with Matta reportedly but he refused.  

Who do you replace? Just Osrtom or Orstrom and Roberts? I personally don't want Hunter going anywhere even if their is a coaching change. He hasn't been at IU long enough to make a real impact. 

12 minutes ago, madmax said:

I doubt it. That wouldn’t set the new coach up for success in recruiting and would likely lead to several transfers in the months leading up to the season, which is disastrous. If Dolson is moving on, it would make little sense to wait and  see if recruiting picks up. Also, it would basically eliminate any possibility of getting a top tier college coach to come here, so he would be automatically reducing his potential pool of coaches.

Matta could barely walk and was coaching in a chair.  Totally different circumstances.  If a certain coach comes available in July, I doubt anyone would transfer out, it would be the opposite.

Some are begging for transfers and you are wishing they don't happen.  I must not be reading this right.  

53 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

The immediate transfer rule hasn't been approved. That may or may not happen.

Its going to happen. There are multiple coaches/staffs not even recruiting high school kids right now because they are focused on transfers. Been stated multiple times.

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

Matta could barely walk and was coaching in a chair.  Totally different circumstances.  If a certain coach comes available in July, I doubt anyone would transfer out, it would be the opposite.

Some are begging for transfers and you are wishing they don't happen.  I must not be reading this right.  

Some transfers make sense. Grant Gelon, Curtis Jones, etc. But too many and too often can be debilitating to the long term stability and success of a program.

8 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Who do you replace? Just Osrtom or Orstrom and Roberts? I personally don't want Hunter going anywhere even if their is a coaching change. He hasn't been at IU long enough to make a real impact. 

At least Ostrum.  Dakich has said many times that he adds nothing.  He supposed to be our main recruiter.  Have you seen our recruits lately?  We have arguably the worst class in the B1G coming in.

Just now, madmax said:

Some transfers make sense. Grant Gelon, Curtis Jones, etc. But too many and too often can be debilitating to the long term stability and success of a program.

I don't like transfers out and don't see any cancerous attitudes on the team anymore.  

Holding 2 scholarships, or is it one now with Parker Stewart taking one?  Sounds like Al is 100% done, Trayce at 99%, Brunk is trying to get law school paid for(don't blame him), We have room to add.  

Why would anyone transfer out if a stud NBA coach of any name was added in July.  Makes no sense.  We would have transfers knocking on our door to get in not out.  

7 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

At least Ostrum.  Dakich has said many times that he adds nothing.  He supposed to be our main recruiter.  Have you seen our recruits lately?  We have arguably the worst class in the B1G coming in.

Yeah, Ostrom must be so bad that even that idiot had him on staff as an assistant coach... what was the dummies name again? Oh yeah, Billy Donovan.

I think I’ll take Billy D. and Archies opinion over Dan Dakich any day of the week, but that’s just me.

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

I don't like transfers out and don't see any cancerous attitudes on the team anymore.  

Holding 2 scholarships, or is it one now with Parker Stewart taking one?  Sounds like Al is 100% done, Trayce at 99%, Brunk is trying to get law school paid for(don't blame him), We have room to add.  

Why would anyone transfer out if a stud NBA coach of any name was added in July.  Makes no sense.  We would have transfers knocking on our door to get in not out.  

Yeah but we’re talking about a hypothetical world where both Archie gets fired mid summer and is replaced by Brad Stevens. It ain’t happening. 

1 minute ago, madmax said:

Yeah but we’re talking about a hypothetical world where both Archie gets fired mid summer and is replaced by Brad Stevens. It ain’t happening. 

No it's probably not happening.  Especially not Stevens or even Donovan.  The nba will fire 8 guys this summer.  2 guys already fired.  

Still, no one would transfer out if Jason Kidd or Pop or about 20 other nba coaches became the coach of IU this July.  That's what I'm saying 

46 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Look guys. Every day there is some little jab taken at someone. Is it really not possible to have a discussion with opposing perspectives without feeling the need to bark louder?

Its really easy to read and disagree without responding with an flex directed at a member because they feel differently about the subject than you do. 

Good point.  It’s loathsome.   If you’re talking about the poster, and not what he or she said, you’re doing it wrong.  

11 minutes ago, madmax said:

Yeah, Ostrom must be so bad that even that idiot had him on staff as an assistant coach... what was the dummies name again? Oh yeah, Billy Donovan.

I think I’ll take Billy D. and Archies opinion over Dan Dakich any day of the week, but that’s just me.

Then what is Ostrum's job here?  Even 0708 who I respect and trust has said on here that he can't coach worth a lick.  So why is here?  Bottom line, the staff clearly isn't getting it done and major changes are required.  Dakich makes some great points.

40 minutes ago, madmax said:

Agreed and not fair to the kids who would be signing on to play with that coach.

6 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Then what is Ostrum's job here?  Even 0708 who I respect and trust has said on here that he can't coach worth a lick.  So why is here?  Bottom line, the staff clearly isn't getting it done and major changes are required.  Dakich makes some great points.

I’m not arguing that change isn’t necessary. I guess I’m just trying to point out that Ostrom must obviously have some value here otherwise he wouldn’t be an assistant coach. Archie doesn’t seem the type just to hire someone because they’re a friend. And I think my point is strengthened by the fact that a coach who we all unanimously revere here also had him on as an assistant.

Maybe he does need to go? I don’t know. I’m just not taking it as gospel truth because Dan Dakich and his 159-144 overall record as a HC says so.

2 minutes ago, madmax said:

I’m not arguing that change isn’t necessary. I guess I’m just trying to point out that Ostrom must obviously have some value here otherwise he wouldn’t be an assistant coach. Archie doesn’t seem the type just to hire someone because they’re a friend. And I think my point is strengthened by the fact that a coach who we all unanimously revere here also had him on as an assistant.

Maybe he does need to go? I don’t know. I’m just not taking it as gospel truth because Dan Dakich and his 159-144 overall record as a HC says so.

Could this be one of those mysterious "The administration is hamstringing the coach" things.  Where CAM cannot get rid of him because the administration telling him no?

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Why would a kid transfer out if one of 10 well known nba coaches gets fired this summer and hired by IU?

These kids don't even thank Archie in their senior speeches 

I’m not saying if they would or wouldn’t transfer and not saying they’d maybe be even more excited about the second coach. Who knows? Just saying recruiting is about relationships with the team and coach primarily for most players. 

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Why would a kid transfer out if one of 10 well known nba coaches gets fired this summer and hired by IU?

These kids don't even thank Archie in their senior speeches 

Because they came to play for Archie.

Becauze they don’t fit the new coaches system.

Because the new coach told them they won’t start.

Because their mom doesn’t like the way the new coach smells. 

It’s silly to think that a new coach comes in here and everything is roses and butterflies immediately, regardless of if they come from the NBA or not.

5 minutes ago, madmax said:

Because they came to play for Archie.

Becauze they don’t fit the new coaches system.

Because the new coach told them they won’t start.

Because their mom doesn’t like the way the new coach smells. 

It’s silly to think that a new coach comes in here and everything is roses and butterflies immediately, regardless of if they come from the NBA or not.

I'm out.  This falls under the category of arguing to be arguing.  Weather is too nice to argue ridiculously unlikely scenarios.  

Here's what I think is happening......It's been quoted several times and acknowledged that Dolson and Miller are 100% on the same page. This means that Dolson and Archie are totally "aware of the elephant in the room" and have had obvious and ongoing conversations over the course of this decline. I'm sure these conversations have not been anywhere close to pleasant.

IMHO.......I believe, Dolson has told Archie that he is actively putting out feelers for potential suitors and his buyout will be covered should they decide to part ways. What Dolson is basically saying is, "Archie, unless you pull out a miracle and immediately right this sinking ship, your days are numbered".

I believe Archie doesn't want to leave and wants to make a last ditch effort to pull this out. With all this being said, Dolson is not going to fire Archie (this year) unless he and the BOT's have mutual interests in desired, potential candidates.  I can actually see Dolson waiting till the end of the NCAA tournament to either retain Archie or move on. Again, this is just a gut feeling.  

26 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Here's what I think is happening......It's been quoted several times and acknowledged that Dolson and Miller are 100% on the same page. This means that Dolson and Archie are totally "aware of the elephant in the room" and have had obvious and ongoing conversations over the course of this decline. I'm sure these conversations have not been anywhere close to pleasant.

IMHO.......I believe, Dolson has told Archie that he is actively putting out feelers for potential suitors and his buyout will be covered should they decide to part ways. What Dolson is basically saying is, "Archie, unless you pull out a miracle and immediately right this sinking ship, your days are numbered".

I believe Archie doesn't want to leave and wants to make a last ditch effort to pull this out. With all this being said, Dolson is not going to fire Archie (this year) unless he and the BOT's have mutual interests in desired, potential candidates.  I can actually see Dolson waiting till the end of the NCAA tournament to either retain Archie or move on. Again, this is just a gut feeling.  

If Dolson is telling Archie that he’s putting feelers out there, I don’t think they are on the same page.

Archie likes this job. Wants to succeed here.   He doesn’t want to quit.  

27 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

IMO, this is spot on or really close. Bottom line, there isn't going to be a change unless its a home run hire to justify the buyout.

1 minute ago, Bustout said:

If Dolson is telling Archie that he’s putting feelers out there, I don’t think they are on the same page.

Archie likes this job. Wants to succeed here.   He doesn’t want to quit.  

yeah, i would not think my boss would be telling me he has feelers out.  he might have feelers out while telling me all is good.  then if those feelers work out...

Archived