It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

8 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Archie's personality has definitely hurt him with the fan base and certainly doesn't help recruiting.  We don't need a weirdo again but the coach can't be a complete introvert either.

You mean when Romeo,TJD, and Leal, 3 Mr Basketball’s in a row committed to him? I can see that as proof that Archie comes across as off putting 🙄

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Threedom said:

Or if the product itself is amazing.  Just doesn’t seem like his style Of play is selling itself at this point 

Good point.  If you’re losing, everything gets scrutinized.  He’s not dynamic in reaching out to fans. He is an introvert. He lost Trey Kaufman right out of southern Indiana etc.  

If he’s winning, none of that is of concern beyond interesting idiosyncrasies.  

It comes with the territory in coaching.   Win and all the other stuff is a side show.  Lose and everything about you becomes a concern. 

29 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

I have no information but in my opinion Archie is very introverted and doesn't do those sort of things. To me he is a no nonsense person who coaches a basketball team. He is not into any sort of public relations. 
Just my opinion based upon watching him during his Indiana career.

No question about it he introverted, where his brother is extroverted.  But, many movie stars and musicians are introverted and when the curtain opens or when they have to be at an event or pr trip they know how to become.  Introverted people have alot of energy as well and do what is needed to grind out success.  

My biggest issue is the non adaptability in the defense and offense.  There is no identity and no flexibility in style to ultimately win a game, let alone a conference and make the tourney.  Every top 10 team has played a true zone at least pnce this season and have played fast and slow.  

11 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Archie's personality has definitely hurt him with the fan base and certainly doesn't help recruiting.  We don't need a weirdo again but the coach can't be a complete introvert either.

If he were winning, nobody would care.  If he was a hobbit who only left the shire to coach basketball games but he won 70% of his games and was making deep tourney runs, we'd all defend his introverted ways to the death.

Crean was outgoing.  It isn't their weird personalities that bother us, it is the losing.  The rest is just us piling on.

32 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

I tend to agree and on the flip I know many didn’t like that Crean felt salesman like.  But I just wonder if him being an introvert has hurt him a lot with the fanbase.  

I’d say it hasn’t hurt with fanbase but it has hurt with recruiting. I still feel like such a huge percent of fans that want him gone still LIKE him. 🤷🏻‍♂️

3 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I’d say it hasn’t hurt with fanbase but it has hurt with recruiting. I still feel like such a huge percent of fans that want him gone still LIKE him. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I like his demeanor.  I wish he would be a little more of the a-hole that I think he can be.  Going after the ref after the tech call in the Purdue game, that guy might have done alright here had he been willing to do that with his players.

I don't dislike Miller.  I dislike losing.  I am willing to put up with idiosyncratic behavior as long as the guy is winning.  We defended Knight being a total dick for 29 years because he won games.  We loved him for being a bit of a dick because he won games.  We took on his personality.  If Miller had us at the top of the BIG the past few years and was coming off an Elite 8 appearance, we'd think his personality was great.  "He's lowkey and business like.  Ya know...like a Midwesterner."

The suspense of what is going to happen is pretty intense. I have no idea what or who is going to happen.

It reminds me of when I was an aspiring actor and auditioned for a commercial for a new stool softener. I had to wait two weeks to find out if I got it. I didnt.

I even remember my first line in it.

'Life is hard....but your stools don't have to be.'

If we were winning big, and Archie had the exact same personality, we would be praising him for being “all business”, focused, doesn’t care about the bs little stuff, etc.

If he had a “salesman” type of personality, and we were winning big, we would be saying he is a great ambassador for the program and is perfect for a visible power 5 job.

Winning cures all (unless it is under a cloud of infractions).

5 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

Not trying to accuse Archie of not doing that but I can’t honestly think of any stories I have heard about him that are in line with what I used to hear about Crean.  I was thinking about it and found it odd and wondered if it was just coincidence.

Not a story I'd like to share here, but I know of a situation firsthand where Archie and his family were very thoughtful and kind to members of the Bloomington community. Archie just is not the type of person to do this type of stuff in the spotlight.

Doesn't really matter, we don't pay him to be a good Samaritan, and ultimately I don't think any of us would care one way or another if he was winning.

8 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Im not sure if his personality is actually what is on display for everyone.  There waa a game early his first year he got PIIIISED about something in a game and hit the scoreers table and stuff went flying everywhere n got on the court.  He got an insta-Tech and i got excited cuz i thought we had our guy that wasnt guna take any crap!  That lasted about 4 seconds cuz he rolled over n showed his belly apologizing....and i dont think he's gotten another tech since.

Now im not saying getting techs is how you measure a coach but that was one of the few times he's shown some fire and life on the sideline.

9 hours ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

No question about it he introverted, where his brother is extroverted.  But, many movie stars and musicians are introverted and when the curtain opens or when they have to be at an event or pr trip they know how to become.  Introverted people have alot of energy as well and do what is needed to grind out success.  

My biggest issue is the non adaptability in the defense and offense.  There is no identity and no flexibility in style to ultimately win a game, let alone a conference and make the tourney.  Every top 10 team has played a true zone at least pnce this season and have played fast and slow.  

That second paragraph hits home with me.  I see way too many coaches that won't/don't swallow their pride when it comes to making changes in their philosophy.  I am not asking Archie to throw his ideologies in the trash.  Just change them up when a situation calls for it.  Play to your personnel...play to the weaknesses of the other team.  Catch the opponent off guard with a full court press.  Confuse them with a zone every now and then.  Do whatever it takes to win the damn ballgame.

11 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

For the recruits we lost, I’d love to get an exit interview.  I would love to get a candid understanding of why we missed out.  Not meaning this as a pile on at all, but I wonder if some kids are  more interested in a more dynamic coach.  An introvert can sell but it’s got to be all on message almost at a perfect level.  

We need Bruce Pearl....

11 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

For the recruits we lost, I’d love to get an exit interview.  I would love to get a candid understanding of why we missed out.  Not meaning this as a pile on at all, but I wonder if some kids are  more interested in a more dynamic coach.  An introvert can sell but it’s got to be all on message almost at a perfect level.  

The couple that I have info on have said it's more style of play on offense. I was told pace of the offense is a hindrance.  Maybe that's the easy answer like those that say it's our fans. 

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

The couple that I have info on have said it's more style of play on offense. I was told pace of the offense is a hindrance.  Maybe that's the easy answer like those that say it's our fans. 

I would bet a lot of that is true. If the fans don’t enjoy watching our offense, how can any recruit enjoy watching it? 

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Makes sense.  Archie ball is Bennett ball without any of the winning.  

I would think that the talent level of recruits we missed on are very confident in there ability to come in an win a spot on the floor. So its got to be they want to show their skills on a national level. Meaning who’s going to get me to the tournament and the next level. 
just my opinion 

Archies missed out on more then a couple Indiana targets. He’s missed on some very good transfers also. 

3 minutes ago, OLDIUFAN said:

I would think that the talent level of recruits we missed on are very confident in there ability to come in an win a spot on the floor. So its got to be they want to show their skills on a national level. Meaning who’s going to get me to the tournament and the next level. 
just my opinion 

Archies missed out on more then a couple Indiana targets. He’s missed on some very good transfers also. 

IMO they share some similarities to our fans in that if you’re a good recruit and see the lack of progress of the program you have to pause.

That first class or two can be “sold” on “hey we are rebuilding and YOU can be a huge part of it!” But if you don’t start turning a corner that sales pitch loses a lot of weight. 
Once again this DOES NOT MEAN an average fan or recruit has to see a Final Four Team in year 3 but they need to see that the two classes of recruits and even the freshman when you arrived, are growing and improving and that the team is taking legit measurable SIZE-ABLE steps. If you look the same as your first year or have tiny tiny improvements then...

😫

Here’s a quote from a supposed insider on another board. Obviously I can’t speak to his trustworthiness. 

“Is anyone a member of the Wells house society? Dolson did a conference call with them last night. A few things he said that I saw on another site was that the elephant in the room is men's basketball. Said he disappointed in the inconsistencies of the basketball program but that he and Archie are 100% on the same page. Take that for what it's worth.”

This coupled with news that IU reached out to an ISU player who just entered the portal tells me we’re about to have a lot of disappointed fans. If Archie were really about to resign, as many have suggested, would the staff really be actively recruiting days prior? I’m sure there’s a good chance that he would... but when I look at all the tea leaves I see year 5 under CAM.

4 minutes ago, madmax said:

Here’s a quote from a supposed insider on another board. Obviously I can’t speak to his trustworthiness. 

“Is anyone a member of the Wells house society? Dolson did a conference call with them last night. A few things he said that I saw on another site was that the elephant in the room is men's basketball. Said he disappointed in the inconsistencies of the basketball program but that he and Archie are 100% on the same page. Take that for what it's worth.”

This coupled with news that IU reached out to an ISU player who just entered the portal tells me we’re about to have a lot of disappointed fans. If Archie were really about to resign, as many have suggested, would the staff really be actively recruiting days prior? I’m sure there’s a good chance that he would... but when I look at all the tea leaves I see year 5 under CAM.

Feels Miller isn’t going anywhere. 

8 minutes ago, madmax said:

If that’s true then Dolson wasn’t the right man for the job. Archie Miller is absolutely terrible.

9 minutes ago, madmax said:

And I should note that I don’t doubt that Dolson has been securing the money for a buyout, just in case, as has been rumored. Any good AD would do the same.

9 minutes ago, Inequality said:

If that’s true then Dolson wasn’t the right man for the job. Archie Miller is absolutely terrible.

Meh. I would respectfully disagree about Archie, but this has been argued a billion times here over the last month and there’s really nothing new to say.

The actively recruiting doesn’t seem strange in the least. If Archie is trying to negotiate the best buyout for himself, he’s not going to do a thing to wave a white flag or he loses all power at the table. It’s like saying “I want to leave so you can negotiate down as low as you want and I’ll take it.”

Hes going to work as though he’s gonna come back until they fire him or give him a good deal.

Archived