It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

36 minutes ago, Shapopojoe said:

Sigh...and Miller...and Crean....and probably 75% of d1 coaches...so there is that

Good point. He's at #154 with a .6519 winning %. Definitely higher than Archie Miller (not Sean) and Crean isn't even in the top 250! Not as good as Matt Painter (#116 .6702%) or Piggy Lambert (#64 .7094), unrelated, though!

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Care to name some. Every town council meeting, school board meeting, business meeting and HOA meeting I have ever been invited to has been on a day other than Sunday 

I don’t think you’ll see fully governmental bodies like a City Council meet on a Sunday but you don’t think a non-profit board or a PTA meeting or, yes, a HOA has ever had a Sunday meeting? I don’t really know what to tell you about that. Maybe it’s an Indiana thing, but I live 2000 miles away now and it’s plenty common.  

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

I hope you aren't suggesting we got back to playing two centers and a power forward.  That worked wonders in the past.  :coffee:

And I just re-read the rest of your post.  You think if everyone comes back including Trayce and Race and Brunk along with Duncomb, we get worse results?  I'm super curious how you came up with this?  And run it back with the same backcourt plus minus Al/Parker?  I'm confused.  

No, it's not about playing two centers and a power forward. It's about having available size coming off the bench. If the idea is to again rotate TJD and Race in and out leaving only one big on the floor most of the time, that's a loser. We know you can't get through every game without foul trouble. We know there is no guarantee you get through a season without an injury pulling someone off the floor and out of the rotation. IU has to offer more than TJD, Race, Joey (who we have no idea how his back will hold up) and a Freshman if they want to make a jump up in the B1G.

I am not sure how much more you think TJD will improve. Unless he adds a reliable jump shot it's going to be him going up against a lot of size in conference. Let's say he improves to 25 and 12 a game - that's not a guarantee IU is in the tournament. Race continues to improve but at 6'8 he shouldn't be expected to battle the monsters in this conference. That leaves Brunk and a bad back that kept him out all season and required surgery. You can't count on it holding up for an entire season. And you can't assume Duncomb, as a Freshman, will be a reliable option until we see what he can offer at this level.

Again, if you come back with this same group, unless they show tremendous improvements across the board and stay healthy, you aren't competing in the top tier of this conference.

1 hour ago, Shapopojoe said:

Sigh...and Miller...and Crean....and probably 75% of d1 coaches...so there is that

Please show me how Alford has a better resume than Miller, Crean, or 75% of D1 coaches. 

Alford isn't even one of the top 2 coaches in the Mountain West..... lol 

51 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Good point. He's at #154 with a .6519 winning %. Definitely higher than Archie Miller (not Sean) and Crean isn't even in the top 250! Not as good as Matt Painter (#116 .6702%) or Piggy Lambert (#64 .7094), unrelated, though!

If only that was D1 winning %.

Of course, ignoring Big Ten Winning % or never making it past the sweet 16 in 25 years. But, yeah.... sure.

Too bad its not based on hair.

2 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

Based on Dolson's most recent comments regarding basketball, I don't see Archie being fired after this season. He will be back next season and that will determine whether he is done or not. It also makes sense financially. 

The question now should be, what does Archie have to do to make sure this team finishes near the top of the B1G and ends up in the NCAA tourney.

I think it's pretty simple. Archie has to super-size this team inside. He doesn't have time to wait for a skinny freshman project to develop. He needs grown men on the court that can move people and control the inside. And if TJD leaves, he really needs to add more than one or two. He needs 4 guys 6'9 or better that can actually play. Even if it's mostly defense and rebounding, they need much more size to complete.

They can live with Armaan, Lander, Rob, Parker, Jerome and the rest outside. They have to add serious muscle inside. If they show up next season with TJD, Race, a questionable Joey Brunk, and one Freshman in the post, they will do not better than what we have seen the past four seasons.

It will be a disaster if it happens but wouldn’t surprise me.  Dolson is a total yes man and was hired purely because he's a yes man.  

8 minutes ago, JugRox said:

If only that was D1 winning %.

Of course, ignoring Big Ten Winning % or never making it past the sweet 16 in 25 years. But, yeah.... sure.

Too bad its not based on hair.

It is D1 I believe. I was just pointing out that while he may have better winning % than Crean/Miller, he doesn't have a better winning % than a couple of Turdue coaches with pork reference nicknames 🐷

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/leaders/win-loss-pct-coach-career.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coaches/steve-alford-1.html

Win % isn't that great of a barometer for a coach. As you point out, it doesn't account for conference strength or tournament success. Bob Knight is #69 with .7062 behind plenty of coaches who he is better than (E.A. Diddle #53 might be debatable :coffee:)

3 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

It will be a disaster if it happens but wouldn’t surprise me.  Dolson is a total yes man and was hired purely because he's a yes man.  

Don't see him as a yes man at all and he will do what he can for this basketball program.

I truly wouldn't be shocked with the decision that will be made.  I will be concerned moving forward if Archie stays.  

• TJD: unknown on returning
  • Brunk: unkown on returning
  • Logan: unkown as a player in the Big Ten
  • Race will be back

Size could be extremely lacking.  If we don't pickup some quality transfers, next year could stand to be worse.  How far back would that set the rebuild?

1 minute ago, aaprice14 said:

I truly wouldn't be shocked with the decision that will be made.  I will be concerned moving forward if Archie stays.  

• Race will be back

Size could be extremely lacking.  If we don't pickup some quality transfers, next year could stand to be worse.  How far back would that set the rebuild?

I would be do sure that Race will be back.  How RP talked before the Purdue game made me wonder if Race will be back.  When RP talked about wanting to beat PU for Al and Race since they never beaten them.

16 minutes ago, aaprice14 said:

• Race will be back

A lot of "ifs" involved in being better next year with CAM at the wheel.  IMO, it's hard to believe we won't have any transfers out in the next several weeks.  Also, Brunk is the best performing transfer thus far in the Miller era.  Fitzner was a flop and the jury's still out on Stewart - so Archie would really need to up his transfer recruiting ability.

1 hour ago, Euroclydon said:

No, it's not about playing two centers and a power forward. It's about having available size coming off the bench. If the idea is to again rotate TJD and Race in and out leaving only one big on the floor most of the time, that's a loser. We know you can't get through every game without foul trouble. We know there is no guarantee you get through a season without an injury pulling someone off the floor and out of the rotation. IU has to offer more than TJD, Race, Joey (who we have no idea how his back will hold up) and a Freshman if they want to make a jump up in the B1G.

I am not sure how much more you think TJD will improve. Unless he adds a reliable jump shot it's going to be him going up against a lot of size in conference. Let's say he improves to 25 and 12 a game - that's not a guarantee IU is in the tournament. Race continues to improve but at 6'8 he shouldn't be expected to battle the monsters in this conference. That leaves Brunk and a bad back that kept him out all season and required surgery. You can't count on it holding up for an entire season. And you can't assume Duncomb, as a Freshman, will be a reliable option until we see what he can offer at this level.

Again, if you come back with this same group, unless they show tremendous improvements across the board and stay healthy, you aren't competing in the top tier of this conference.

I get what you are saying.  Trayce, imo, didn't add to his game at all.  He just got stronger and older.  Shot still broke, still only one go to move, go left.  He did take a huge jump statistically but even a year older, I don't see that going up much more from here.  Huge question marks for next year are the comments about wanting to win one at Mackey for Race and Brunks back and if he even comes back to IU.  Sounds like he's dead set on Law School.  If he's smart, and he is, he will find some school that will let him do both.  It has been said that IU won't allow it.  So if Trayce is gone, Race is gone, Brunk is gone.  This program is in big trouble.  If, and it is a big if, all 4 are here and relatively healthy, the only team with a more stacked front court next year is Purdue.  Not even sure that's arguable.  

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would be do sure that Race will be back.  How RP talked before the Purdue game made me wonder if Race will be back.  When RP talked about wanting to beat PU for Al and Race since they never beaten them.

You're putting too much into that...Rob, Race, and Al are simply the 3 that have the most time on the team and they've never beaten Purdue...You keep trying to twist it into transfer talk...

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You're putting too much into that...Rob, Race, and Al are simply the 3 that have the most time on the team and they've never beaten Purdue...You keep trying to twist it into transfer talk...

Or is it that are grasping at anything to hold onto in your defense of Archie

Just now, IU Scott said:

Or is it that are grasping at anything to hold onto in your defense of Archie

Not at all, but you speculated he might transfer to Minnesota...If IU is in bad shape, I don't know what you'd call Little Ricky's mess with the Golden Gophers...

You take one general statement made by a kid, and try to make it into something...Nice try, Matlock...

Just now, IUFLA said:

Not at all, but you speculated he might transfer to Minnesota...If IU is in bad shape, I don't know what you'd call Little Ricky's mess with the Golden Gophers...

You take one general statement made by a kid, and try to make it into something...Nice try, Matlock...

Why on earth would he transfer to Minnesota?  Yes I know he's from there and dad was a football stud there.  Still make zero sense.  

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Well Hunter had been here 3 years but RP didn't mentioned him in his comments.

47 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Not to be contrary, but Matlock was usually right,  :coffee:

2 hours ago, southsidehoosier said:

"The buyout is his biggest ally.”

This sentence just cracked me up. So any coach signing a new contract or working on an extension needs to make sure there's a hefty buyout clause to strengthen his job security. Doesn't matter a coach sucks at his job; with the ridiculous amount of buyout, he can easily get 2 more years and pocket millions of dollars. 

28 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

"The buyout is his biggest ally.”

This sentence just cracked me up. So any coach signing a new contract or working on an extension needs to make sure there's a hefty buyout clause to strengthen his job security. Doesn't matter a coach sucks at his job; with the ridiculous amount of buyout, he can easily get 2 more years and pocket millions of dollars. 

That's exactly what a buyout is. Job security.

Archived