It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

3 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Can I why you keep saying people have an agenda?  Anytime someone says something that is contradictory to what you think or believe you throw this out there at them.  While i appreciate your willingness to die on the Coach Archie Miller is the future of the program hill, i do find it a bit off putting that whenever someone discusses a point that doesn't seem to fit into your agenda, you go right at them about having their own.

With that said, I don't have much room to speak on the matter since I have already stated a few weeks ago that there isn't much I like about the current program, administration or coaching staff.  There are a few players I like and some I wish would leave the program at the end of the year.  

I do appreciate you and @BGleasstanding upon the positivity hill, fighting off the constant negativity of the board.  I do not know if you're helping or hurting but i appreciate your steadfastness. 

I don't really think you're describing my posting very accurately. I've been involved in plenty conversations where my stance is "negative" or not exactly positive. I do push back against negative posting with no context or that just isn't accurate thought. 

We have enough to complain about with the current state of the program, so we don't need to invent things to complain about (ie. blaming Archie for Stewart not playing when nobody on the board has a clue as to why he isn't playing).

But, if you've read my posts for a few weeks, and even in this thread today, I have said that Archie isn't working out to this point and I'd be fine if a change was made, though I do want IU to change the way they search. I don't want to next mid-major hope for $3.5M, I want IU to identify a proven Power 5 coach and spend whatever they need to spend to get him even if he turns them down the first time. 

I've been critical of recruiting, our guard/perimeter play, the players effort and Archie's ability to instill a culture and to imprint his personality on the program in 4 years. 

When I am negative I just try to keep it as rational as I can, as opposed too emotional. 

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, BGleas said:

The problem wasn't Langford over Henry, it was Damezi Anderson over Henry. That was the mistake. 

Honestly anybody from that class over Henry.  Class has been a complete disaster.  Which probably has set Archie back.  But the problem is recruiting failures stack making it more difficult to have success

Just now, BGleas said:

The problem wasn't Langford over Henry, it was Damezi Anderson over Henry. That was the mistake. 

That I can buy...

Damezi was the higher rated recruit, but just goes to show they're not always right...

Both were rated higher than Eric Hunter, who's turned out pretty good for Purdue...who I'm not sure we were in on...

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

Honestly anybody from that class over Henry.  Class has been a complete disaster.  Which probably has set Archie back.  But the problem is recruiting failures stack making it more difficult to have success

Especially when you're just looking at a 4-year period. Every coach is going to have recruiting mistakes, so to judge a coach off of one 4-year cycle isn't really completely fair, especially when they're a new coach. 

That isn't me giving Archie a pass, it's just true. He needed to be perfect and he wasn't. I don't think we can hammer him over this one miss, the problem is he's got a pile of misses when it comes to guard/perimeter talent, especially from out of state. 

His inability to find a suitable point guard and to recruit over Al Durham (not a knock on Al, but he should be a bench/role player) may be his undoing. 

Just now, BGleas said:

Especially when you're just looking at a 4-year period. Every coach is going to have recruiting mistakes, so to judge a coach off of one 4-year cycle isn't really completely fair, especially when they're a new coach. 

That isn't me giving Archie a pass, it's just true. He needed to be perfect and he wasn't. I don't think we can hammer him over this one miss, the problem is he's got a pile of misses when it comes to guard/perimeter talent, especially from out of state. 

His inability to find a suitable point guard and to recruit over Al Durham (not a knock on Al, but he should be a bench/role player) may be his undoing. 

That’s my thing you whiff on a class. So be it. We should have brought in replacements for Al and RP already.  

I honestly think I would be less angry with Archie if he had just benched the do nothings and played the freshmen more. We’d still be losing but we would be building for something. Instead we have a short term strategy that’s not even working. 

Don't know if anyone has referenced the article by Tom Brew that my buddy just sent me?  It's kind of long, but hard to argue most of his points about why it is tie now.  This may be a dumb, naive question, but do we not post links like that on this site?  I feel like I don't see links posted on articles much.  Should I post it on this thread?

3 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

That’s my thing you whiff on a class. So be it. We should have brought in replacements for Al and RP already.  

I honestly think I would be less angry with Archie if he had just benched the do nothings and played the freshmen more. 

Starting after what game? 

19 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I honestly think I would be less angry with Archie if he had just benched the do nothings and played the freshmen more. We’d still be losing but we would be building for something. Instead we have a short term strategy that’s not even working. 

That's the thing though, I like this freshmen class but it's also a microcosm of IU's issues. I'd be all for getting the freshmen more time but they are so far away from being consistent, high level contributors, which is an entirely different problem. 

As frustrated as I am with Phinisee, Lander hasn't made a shot inside the 3pt arc since 30 seconds into his first game. He's miles and miles away from being ready. Galloway, who I really like, has maybe the ugliest jumpshot on the team. Leal is a strong shooter, smart player and plays hard, but is so limited athletically. 

That class is fine and I like getting Indiana players,, but for a program struggling with guard and wing play we missed on all of the high level wings we went after. With open 2 scholarships Archie should have been able to get a ready to contribute wing to along with Galloway and Leal so they could grow into being ready. 

We needed Galloway and Leal, and then the other needed to be a top 50-75 player that could contribute right away. 

Just a random thought.  Did Archie hear the noise and recruit too many Indiana kids because that’s what he thought the fans wanted?  Not saying recruiting Indiana kids is a bad thing but maybe he heard about Creans failure to do so and made that a point almost to a flaw.  Just me thinking out loud. 

Just now, IUwins0708 said:

Just a random thought.  Did Archie hear the noise and recruit too many Indiana kids because that’s what he thought the fans wanted?  Not saying recruiting Indiana kids is a bad thing but maybe he heard about Creans failure to do so and made that a point almost to a flaw.  Just me thinking out loud. 

i get that you're just thinking out loud, but i sure hope Archie is tougher than that.  if i were in his position, i'm not trying to recruit kids because that's who i think fans want.  i'm recruiting the kids i think are the best fits for my program and will help me win.  

Maybe but he's tried to recruit out of state players. He's just been pretty unsuccessful at landing them. 

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i get that you're just thinking out loud, but i sure hope Archie is tougher than that.  if i were in his position, i'm not trying to recruit kids because that's who i think fans want.  i'm recruiting the kids i think are the best fits for my program and will help me win.  

I sure do too.  I also know some of the restraints that the admin put on him early in his tenure. I think they have backed off now but that didn’t help.  I’m not wavering on my feelings on him as a coach but certain things make you just say “what if”.

21 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Don't know if anyone has referenced the article by Tom Brew that my buddy just sent me?  It's kind of long, but hard to argue most of his points about why it is tie now.  This may be a dumb, naive question, but do we not post links like that on this site?  I feel like I don't see links posted on articles much.  Should I post it on this thread?

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/basketball/tom-brew-finally-time-for-indiana-to-move-on-from-archie-miller

That is true, I was just thinking maybe he put more of an emphasis on the in state guy than the out of state guy.  🤷🏼‍♂️

I don’t think it matters where his players are from....his system simply isn’t working.  Guys that come in as shooters can no longer shoot...guys that are lazy on defense and careless with the ball on offense play the bulk of the minutes....he runs an offense that emphasizes getting to the line but his teams have been at or near the bottom of the league in FT%....he refuses to adjust the starters at the beginning of the game or at the half and never uses the bench as motivation....he had 9 whole months to re-work the offense and in the end, it is still the same broken mess that it always has been.  This is all on Archie and no matter who the players are, it isn’t going to change.

1 minute ago, CTrojan88 said:

I don’t think it matters where his players are from....his system simply isn’t working.  Guys that come in as shooters can no longer shoot...guys that are lazy on defense and careless with the ball on offense play the bulk of the minutes....he runs an offense that emphasizes getting to the line but his teams have been at or near the bottom of the league in FT%....he refuses to adjust the starters at the beginning of the game or at the half and never uses the bench as motivation....he had 9 whole months to re-work the offense and in the end, it is still the same broken mess that it always has been.  This is all on Archie and no matter who the players are, it isn’t going to change.

Don’t disagree at all 

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

You said it yourself.  Miller is resistant to change and doing new things.  So this is not getting fixed by the current staff.  And his experimentation time is basically over.  We are coming to the end of year 4.  You don't expect to go into year 5 with the exact same questions you had in year 1.

It can come from the AD.  Just like Allen went in a new direction with his offensive coordinator two years ago, same can happen in basketball.  And, it does.  Feedback and professional development should be an emphasis.

22 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Don't think so and there are Indiana kids that are going and have gone to MSU, Purdue, Louisville, etc.  One beat IU yesterday.  It's the development and the system and maybe evaluation of players.  

Archived