Ohio St Post Game

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

"Whatever reason" 

Ummm his father and coach passed away unexpectedly so he took a mental break. I get that we are all pissed about today but we can have some empathy for a kid not much older than yours losing a parent. 

I'm not being critical of the situation if that is the reason.  I'm questioning the situation based on the theory that he doesn't know the system.  

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Your post referenced needing 1-2 'guards'.  I assumed that you did not mean they both would be PGs.  Because, with Lander, we only need 1 PG for next season.  

As far as Stewart not being 'ready to play'.  If he's not ready, it's intentional on his own part.  There are a limitless number of athletes that have come back after a layoff and played their way through it to get in game shape.  It's not always a smooth transition, but on a mediocre basketball, why not give it a shot.

Mostly agree, except dealing with death can be terribly difficult - for some more than others.

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

Never said he would've been my #1 choice at the time.  But now he's obviously way better than Archie.  The problem with the Archie hire is that it was clear before he was hired that he never had the personality for a pressure cooker job like IU.  He's an extreme introvert and doesn't come off as being particularly bright.  

And I never said he was your first choice. Im curious if anyone thought Holtman was a better choice 4 years ago and if so what was that based on.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Your post referenced needing 1-2 'guards'.  I assumed that you did not mean they both would be PGs.  Because, with Lander, we only need 1 PG for next season.  

As far as Stewart not being 'ready to play'.  If he's not ready, it's intentional on his own part.  There are a limitless number of athletes that have come back after a layoff and played their way through it to get in game shape.  It's not always a smooth transition, but on a mediocre basketball, why not give it a shot.

Yea, I meant point guards. I was specifically referencing Lander and Phinisee. 

At this point, IU has two backup point guards. Archie has one year left to prove he can do this, if I'm him I don't feel comfortable going into next year with my two point guards being Lander and Phinisee, and I don't want to rest those hopes on one new guy. 

19 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I made this comment in the game thread, but can any older posters enlighten me: has this level of top-to-bottom competitiveness ever been seen in the B1G?  I know we play like crap frequently but holy hell, the other teams are also really, really good.

There were some really good league years in the late 80’s-early 90’s.

In 89-90, as an example, seven of the ten (there were actually 10 teams in the Big Ten...LOL)  teams made the tourney and IU was the 7th ranked BT team and we had 3 or 4 McDonalds All Americans.

2 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

In 89-90, as an example, seven of the ten (there were actually 10 teams in the Big Ten...LOL)  teams made the tourney and IU was the 7th ranked BT team and we had 3 or 4 McDonalds All Americans.

I believe BTN did a special about how stacked that year was

5 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Mostly agree, except dealing with death can be terribly difficult - for some more than others.

And, that's perfectly understandable.  My point is more directed to the theory that Archie is not playing him because he does not know the system well enough.  There has been ample time for him to learn it well enough to give us something.  Sure, he'll be able to contribute more next year.  But, that does not make this season a throwaway unless there are other things (like his dad's death) driving the reason for him not playing yet.  

5 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

88-89 was the best I remember with two going to the final four UM and UI with UM winning it all.  IU won the big ten that year and Iowa and Purdue was good as well.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

88-89 was the best I remember with two going to the final four UM and UI with UM winning it all.  IU won the big ten that year and Iowa and Purdue was good as well.

In 1979...7 of the 10 were ranked at some point in the season.  Only 2 received bids to the NCAAT(The way it was back then).  Sparty won the title.  Impressive was that 3 Big 10 schools made it to the NIT FF(and by God that meant something back then).  The only gimme was NW.  

18 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

Maybe I didn’t follow him closely but I never thought he would have the success he’s having now. His kenpom numbers at Butler were pedestrian and he never made it farther than the sweet 16.

I don't follow kenpom numbers but, his career numbers while at Butler was 70-31 for a .693 percentage. IMO, not too shabby.....

7 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

There are many others but 91-92 was also something. 5 of the 10 teams made the tourney (two 8-10 teams did not get in), OSU won the conference  with Jimmy Jackson, Funderburke etc.,  Michigan had the Fab Five, IU and Michigan made the Final Four, IU had 5 players average double figures and four of the five were burger boys while the fifth was Calbert! 

Exactly what I expected. Slow start to get us into an almost insurmountable deficit, followed by a couple furious attempts to erase said deficit, and then a collapse near the end that I turn off b/c I’m so disgusted and have better things to do with my time. 

On to the next one. I’m not disgusted by our coach or any of our players, just a realist that realizes we are not there yet. 

3 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Exactly what I expected. Slow start to get us into an almost insurmountable deficit, followed by a couple furious attempts to erase said deficit, and then a collapse near the end that I turn off b/c I’m so disgusted and have better things to do with my time. 

On to the next one. I’m not disgusted by our coach or any of our players, just a realist that realizes we are not there yet. 

You need to take up ice fishing!  LOL  TBH, I have been that way(what you did) on the week-ends for quite some time now.  Heck, if IU basketball was on during the warm months I would never watch a day game.  IU football?  Yes.

24 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

I believe that either the 76 team or the 75 team had to beat Michigan, for the third time that year, in the Final Four.

Archived