Ohio St Post Game

4 minutes ago, rico said:

You need to take up ice fishing!  LOL  TBH, I have been that way(what you did) on the week-ends for quite some time now.  Heck, if IU basketball was on during the warm months I would never watch a day game.  IU football?  Yes.

In regards to your football statement...I’ve been a huge IU basketball fan since I went to school there (unfortunately decades ago) and this is the first time I remember thinking “I can’t wait to see the football team” in the middle of the basketball season. 

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

For comparisons sake, I’m pretty sure 12 of the 14 teams now have been ranked at some point over the course of this season and last. 

To be fair that the top teams in the country right now would been lucky to be in the top 15 back in the 80's and 90's

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Sure are

Exactly. Like when I read people say “yes but we have to factor that the But this year is TOUGH.”

1.) Not like it used to be

2.) Thats what others said for decades not IU. WE were a big part of the reason “the league was so tough.”

Now the response is “we just aren’t the same program” and somehow that line of reasoning is used to explain that since we can’t be a program that expects to compete for Big Ten titles every year and a national title every few years...since we aren’t that...expectations need to be usually we are middle of the pack or lower and occasionally compete for a Big Ten title and national titles are a pipe dream?

It seems we had higher expectations under Crean then now...

I had heard this as well but this is from Sam Story

To save some from the wrongful BS I am reading... - Holtmann made it clear he wasn’t interested in IU job privately. - A coach texted a few at IU his own interest in job. Got their cell numbers from others. P5 coach. IU passed. - IU spoke with other candidates. - Offered Archie.

1 hour ago, MSHoosier said:

I don't want to be the guy that blames the refs, but look how many times we didn't get a call. That 3-pt attempt by Al was a clear hack on the arm by Liddell. That block on Jordan G in the second half. Think of all the times we tripped and no call. We were just falling down? Rob finally got a call at the end. OSU never got an over the back call when they were reaching over us to tip every rebound. I just get so fed up with refs letting one team brutalize us  but won't let us guard anyone.

Officials for Indiana

: DJ Carstensen, Rob Riley, Lewis Garrison

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

No thanks on Underwood.  There have been some questions about him from his Stephen F Austin days.

And Oklahoma St and he was Director of Ops at KState when Michael Beasley/Frank Martin dirt went down. The only thing Underwood has accomplished is something he had zero control over. Got lucky with 2 players coming back because of Covid/NBA....

Underwood. Seriously gang. Haha.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To save some from the wrongful BS I am reading... - Holtmann made it clear he wasn’t interested in IU job privately. - A coach texted a few at IU his own interest in job. Got their cell numbers from others. P5 coach. IU passed. - IU spoke with other candidates. - Offered Archie.

So if true then the question should be why would he not be interested.  Holtmann was on a podcast with Hummel and Goodman and how he was talking you could tell he was interested in real stressful job.  OSU is a football school and the fans only start caring about basketball after the football season is over.

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Wonder who the P5 coach is we passed up.

One thing really bothered me towards the end of the game. I don't get why Hunter got back into the game after his technical. It's one thing if it was at the end of a play and he got mixed up with somebody and got a technical for that, but this was apparently arguing with an official 10 seconds after the play. I don't care if you didn't like the call or it was a cheap technical, that is unacceptable. Why was he put back in the game with a few minutes left down by 20? That was the easiest possible time to hold someone accountable.

On it's own, I don't think this one thing is that big of an issue, but I think not holding players accountable has been one of Archie's biggest weaknesses. I think that's a big reason why we still see a lot of the same mistakes in year 4.  This just didn't make any sense to me to bring Hunter back in.

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

One thing really bothered me towards the end of the game. I don't get why Hunter got back into the game after his technical. It's one thing if it was at the end of a play and he got mixed up with somebody and got a technical for that, but this was apparently arguing with an official 10 seconds after the play. I don't care if you didn't like the call or it was a cheap technical, that is unacceptable. Why was he put back in the game with a few minutes left down by 20? That was the easiest possible time to hold someone accountable.

On it's own, I don't think this one thing is that big of an issue, but I think not holding players accountable has been one of Archie's biggest weaknesses. I think that's a big reason why we still see a lot of the same mistakes in year 4.  This just didn't make any sense to me to bring Hunter back in.

The flip side is it shows belief in your player and team, and that you have their back. 

That call was terrible and Hunter was the recipient of a few bad calls. The T also happened during a stretch where the officiating was pretty heavily slanted in OSU's favor.  

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So if true then the question should be why would he not be interested.  Holtmann was on a podcast with Hummel and Goodman and how he was talking you could tell he was interested in real stressful job.  OSU is a football school and the fans only start caring about basketball after the football season is over.

A few years ago a guy that sometimes wrote nationally, I can’t remember his name right now, wrote about having lunch with Holtman in Broad Ripple and wrote that Holtman, when asked about the IU job, mentioned that Crean was still employed but also made it clear he was not interested in the IU “fishbowl”.  Could that have changed with a Brinks truck load of cash.....who can say with 100% certainty but he certainly was not inclined (according to the article) to come here.

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Haha. Yep. People actually think Underwood. Crazy place after the game sometimes.

Not that it matter because the results are what they are at this point, but I wonder what Illinois would be like this year if Ayo and Kofi did not return.

2 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

A few years ago a guy that sometimes wrote nationally, I can’t remember his name right now, wrote about having lunch with Holtman in Broad Ripple and wrote that Holtman, when asked about the IU job, mentioned that Crean was still employed but also made it clear he was not interested in the IU “fishbowl”.  Could that have changed with a Brinks truck load of cash.....who can say with 100% certainty but he certainly was not inclined (according to the article) to come here.

I would think most top coaches will think the same thing because it is not worth it for them.  they can make as much money elsewhere and if they are already winning big at their school why change to come here.

Archived