Ohio St Post Game

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I will say this that the bottom of the league are more talented now but the top of the lead is not even close to being as talented.  So this leads to the league being more competitive from top to bottom because the top of the league is weaker.

I agree with this. The bottom feeders from 30 years ago would probably be vying for the Big Ten title today.

7 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I made this comment in the game thread, but can any older posters enlighten me: has this level of top-to-bottom competitiveness ever been seen in the B1G?  I know we play like crap frequently but holy hell, the other teams are also really, really good.

I would have to look.  But 78-79 jumps out to me.

12 minutes ago, BGleas said:

That was just awful though. Another epitome of the last 4 years type of game. Right when you think there might be some momentum, we just don't show up. 

This statement sums up why IU basketball just isn't appointment television for me anymore.

I haven't watched much past the month of December. We just can't get any type of momentum, or follow up big wins with good performances. 

When we won at Iowa a month ago, I felt dumb for not bothering to watch the game because I knew we would lose. But I felt even more dumb for watching the home game against Rutgers expecting us to win.

It's also very difficult to win when you basically get a goose egg every single game from the point guard spot. 

I feel somewhat good about Lander's future, the kid is a great passer though I've been pretty underwhelmed with his ability to score, but Archie has to hit the transfer market HARD and bring 1 or even 2 new guards in. 

Even if it means some transfers out. The guard play is just bad for the 4th straight year. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

It's also very difficult to win when you basically get a goose egg every single game from the point guard spot. 

I feel somewhat good about Lander's future, the kid is a great passer though I've been pretty underwhelmed with his ability to score, but Archie has to hit the transfer market HARD and bring 1 or even 2 new guards in. 

Even if it means some transfers out. The guard play is just bad for the 4th straight year. 

We have a transfer guard that can presumably score, but for whatever reason is not playing.  

I don’t have anything interesting to say. So nothing new lol.  

We were outclassed by a far better team.  

Holtzmann is a great GM.  He loses some veterans and brings in Sueing and had CJ also as a transfer. He also picked up Towns.  I’d like to see that kind of off-season for us. Stewart is a start.  We have more spots.  

In their half court offense they run you through a maze of physical picks. It was a learning experience for our young guys who aren’t used to get banged around relentlessly like that.  I’d honestly like to see us import some more of that into our own offense.  

CJ against Lander was like an adult playing a kid.  

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Well he already got one really good transfer guard that I think will start next year. 

PG, unfortunately, I think will rely on Lander and Rob. Fingers crossed things click for Lander. 

2 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I know hindsight is 20/20,  but who thinks IU missed the boat on not getting Holt?

Raise your hands.....

Maybe I didn’t follow him closely but I never thought he would have the success he’s having now. His kenpom numbers at Butler were pedestrian and he never made it farther than the sweet 16.

Just now, 5fouls said:

We have a transfer guard that can presumably score, but for whatever reason is not playing.  

Because clearly he's not ready to play. 

We need more than that anyways. I may be wrong but isn't Stewart more of a combo-guard? So he'd be the Durham replacement. 

We still need a point guard for next year, and one with experience and that is ready to play. 

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

"Whatever reason" 

Ummm his father and coach passed away unexpectedly so he took a mental break. I get that we are all pissed about today but we can have some empathy for a kid not much older than yours losing a parent. 

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

We were never going to win this game.  The combination of coach/players that we have just is not good enough to beat a talented, well disciplined, and well coached team on the road.  That's the reality we have right now with IU basketball.  

Frankly, this one was easy on me.  I had zero expectations going in and the team responded by giving nothing.  Now, I fully expect we should win the next two and will be extremely pissed if we don't.  Then it comes down to having to win one of the Final 3.  It won't be Michigan.  And, I seriously doubt it will be Purdue.  So, in my mind, @Rutgers is not a must win.

That's tough.

The very fact that you (like I) expect to lose two games to PU alone is reason to be P.O.'d.

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Well he already got one really good transfer guard that I think will start next year. 

PG, unfortunately, I think will rely on Lander and Rob. Fingers crossed things click for Lander. 

Yeah, I think he needs to bring in another point guard, even if it means one of those guys doesn't like it. 

I'm sorry, but Phinisee is just about 3/4 of the way through his career and he's just getting progressively worse. 

Just now, BGleas said:

Yeah, I think he needs to bring in another point guard, even if it means one of those guys doesn't like it. 

I'm sorry, but Phinisee is just about 3/4 of the way through his career and he's just getting progressively worse. 

I agree, I just don't know what's out there. 

Rob went from a guy we all thought could be a stud to a poor man's Ronald Nored. 

Just now, southsidehoosier said:

Based on what? Nothing about his record/stats at Butler felt like he would be this successful 

Never said he would've been my #1 choice at the time.  But now he's obviously way better than Archie.  The problem with the Archie hire is that it was clear before he was hired that he never had the personality for a pressure cooker job like IU.  He's an extreme introvert and doesn't come off as being particularly bright.  

Your post referenced needing 1-2 'guards'.  I assumed that you did not mean they both would be PGs.  Because, with Lander, we only need 1 PG for next season.  

As far as Stewart not being 'ready to play'.  If he's not ready, it's intentional on his own part.  There are a limitless number of athletes that have come back after a layoff and played their way through it to get in game shape.  It's not always a smooth transition, but on a mediocre basketball, why not give it a shot.

Archived