Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

2 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I want to hang onto him if he learns how to pass out of the post.  We had a play last night that actually went into Sparks.  Wisconsin brought the double and he passed to a wide open and ready to shoot Galloway who buried the shot.  That is something Malik needs to learn.

I think Cupps can and will be good if given the right direction.  Still have Newton sitting over there.  Keep McNeeley as your 3 and maybe even bring Galloway back for another year and you have pieces to build around.  Cupps, Galloway, Mgbako, Reneau, and Ware are one of the most efficient line ups in the country.  We have pieces, we just need a new systemic approach.  Now I would want to add some guys still obviously but you could probably make some hay with Cupps, Galloway, McNeeley, a stretch 4, and Reneau.  Go in the portal and get a veteran guard to take over and bring Gabe off the bench to develop more and even better.  Get 2 guards and have Gabe and Galloway be bench guys and you are really cooking.

That is going to take Woodson getting his butt out there this summer though.  

I think Galloway, Reneau, Cupps, Mgbako and McNeely is a solid core to build off. 

Bring a coach with the cache to hit the portal hard for guards and some depth frontcourt guys, and that wants to play a modern style of basketball, and you can be back in pretty short order. 

• Like 3

I can't believe I can say this and know I will get ridiculed for this but I wish Matt Painter was our coach. I know all about his recent problems in the tournament but I still take his seasons over what we have done. I rather enjoy 4 months of great basketball and be disappointed because of one game.

It is ironic how people's futures can be changed by one decision. We all have heard how Painter and his family were IU fans and Matt Wanted to go to IU. Instead Todd Leary got the last scholarship and Matt went to Purdue. I wonder if he went to IU how his post playing days would have gone. By going to Purdue it allowed him to be hired by Bruce Weber at S. Illinois and replaced him as HC. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think Galloway, Reneau, Cupps, Mgbako and McNeely is a solid core to build off. 

Bring a coach with the cache to hit the portal hard for guards and some depth frontcourt guys, and that wants to play a modern style of basketball, and you can be back in pretty short order. 

I wouldn’t mind keeping Newton 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

This bothers me a lot.  And, I can't imagine it sits well with a lot of former players either.  Discipline and accountability appear to be missing.  I'll go back to the preseason and toss out the Taco Bell thing as well.  I thought the punishment was too soft then, and this is just an example of the kind of fallout you have with lax discipline.   

yeah.  large majority said it was no big deal and even defended it.  same with XJ.  need to have consequences.  they are kids/young adults.  they need to be taught.  

33 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I can't believe I can say this and know I will get ridiculed for this but I wish Matt Painter was our coach. I know all about his recent problems in the tournament but I still take his seasons over what we have done. I rather enjoy 4 months of great basketball and be disappointed because of one game.

It is ironic how people's futures can be changed by one decision. We all have heard how Painter and his family were IU fans and Matt Wanted to go to IU. Instead Todd Leary got the last scholarship and Matt went to Purdue. I wonder if he went to IU how his post playing days would have gone. By going to Purdue it allowed him to be hired by Bruce Weber at S. Illinois and replaced him as HC. 

kills me, but you're absolutely right.  

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

15 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Archie still doesnt have anyone guarding the 3. he does it himself now.

I flipped over to see how the old Pack Line was doing... Dayton made 9 3s in the first half!!

BTW Rhode Island only had 27points in the first half.

35 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

I wouldn’t mind keeping Newton 

I mean.  I guess the university is on the hook for his knee health since they operated this summer.   Major athletes that have went through this have less than a 33% chance of comeback.  It's the right thing to let the kid graduate.  At some point we need that scholarship.   He can get his degree on the athletes bill of rights.  I do hope like heck he can make it back but the odds are stacked against him.  

37 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I think it’s 50/50 at best if he ever plays, with the nature of his injury 

14 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I mean.  I guess the university is on the hook for his knee health since they operated this summer.   Major athletes that have went through this have less than a 33% chance of comeback.  It's the right thing to let the kid graduate.  At some point we need that scholarship.   He can get his degree on the athletes bill of rights.  I do hope like heck he can make it back but the odds are stacked against him.  

Maybe, but using him as the 13th scholarship can’t be any worse than what we currently have.. which is nothing

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rantool said:

Quite frankly we had 2 assistant coaches in Fife and Matta we sent packing that both surpassed Woody in Knowledge and experience. No question about it. If you want a quick fix I say hire Bruce Pearl He knows how to win and recruit! And his players will walk through fire for him. Talk about motivation and passion Bruce has it! He may not be a perfect choice, but winning solves a lot of problems' and He wins!

I would’ve said yes earlier on but I’ve read enough people that know him that makes me feel “eh.”

Idk who we should go after if or when the time comes

I do not think CMW should be fired after this season. And the bottom line is that he is ultimately responsible for the results on the floor. However…

I did some reading about the responsibilities of the rest of the staff. From what I understand, Kenya is the primary guy in developing the bigs. I think we can all agree that he has done an excellent job over the last 3 years.

I’m not as clear as to who is the guy working with the 1-3 positions. I did read that Calbert’s title is Director of Player Development. I don’t know whether he is succeeding in that role or if he is just the administrator and the assistant coaches are the hands on guys.

All that said, I do believe that the staff needs to be evaluated this offseason and it might be time for an upgrade. I would look at how Michigan has brought in Martelli as essentially a second head coach to Howard. I think Dolsen should look at a May or Michael Lewis for the spot with the understanding/agreement that he takes over either at Woodson’s retirement or removal. Call it an exit strategy… done all the time in corporate management.