Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

Just now, 13th&Jackson said:

I get it, but let’s say he’s three years into a total rebuild at LVille and is coming off a S16 appearance. Would he leave that situation to start a total rebuild again at IU? 

Roy Williams left KU after playing in the championship game to go back to UNC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Even if Dusty May goes elsewhere that doesn't mean he wouldn't come here. If it is his dream job and we offer it to him after a couple of good years at UL, we still would get him.

Agreed, and I also think the idea of someone of his profile coming somewhere to be a coach in waiting seems like a long shot.

Lewis might, but consider me uninspired on that. 

Edited by KoB2011

I don’t think there is an easy fix. The truth is we probably won’t ever see another championship in our lifetime…and I imagine for us to get back on top we probably have to take a coach with quite a bit of baggage in order to do so…a Beard, a Pearl, or an NBA flameout. This notion of an IU guy needing to be the one seems silly. I think the time for that was right after Crean if they wanted to bring the program full circle to bring back Coach Knight and that group but now…it’s time to move forward…nothing about college basketball is even the same as when Knight coached. The portal, the NIL, kids not carrying about getting a degree….so that was a time that doesn’t exist anymore and we shouldn’t be trying to recreate it. Wake up and run this thing like a professional program.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

Absolutely freaking no way in heck…keep Alford as far from this program as possible. 1.) because he’s proven nothing as a coach. 2.) because he is an arrogant a hole.

He absolutely is worse than Woodson. At least with Woodson it was possible. Hiring Alford is saying “well not be anything then average at best and fire HIM after 5-6 years and have to wait even longer for the next stab.

No sir count me out on Alford.

Never.

Disagree.  He wouldn't be my first choice but if you were going to pick the most "ready" IU guy, he would have been it.

"But, but, but he is an a-hole and failed at the last big programs he was at."  We would all kill for his "failure" at UCLA right now.  He had a .663 winning percentage and went to 3 Sweet 16's in 5 years.  He has proven more as a Coach than Mike Woodson.  Come on.  People just don't like him because of the arrogance thing but I bet he would have done better than Woodson.

I don't think we had to hire an Indiana guy, but if we did, he was a better choice.  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Disagree.  He wouldn't be my first choice but if you were going to pick the most "ready" IU guy, he would have been it.

"But, but, but he is an a-hole and failed at the last big programs he was at."  We would all kill for his "failure" at UCLA right now.  He had a .663 winning percentage and went to 3 Sweet 16's in 5 years.  He has proven more as a Coach than Mike Woodson.  Come on.  People just don't like him because of the arrogance thing but I bet he would have done better than Woodson.

I don't think we had to hire an Indiana guy, but if we did, he was a better choice.  

Question: Was there a coach any more arrogant than The General, CRMK???

• Like 2

I’ve said it countless times but we are in a “purgatory” state right now.

It would be really tough to convince a coach to come here if Woody gets canned after 3 years, with some of the things he accomplished last year (TJD with PF of the year, Fino NBA and conference FOTY, top 2 regular season in conference, conference semis, top 25 pretty much the whole year, tournament win.) Last year was massive for this program not walking away with some trophy or getting to the second weekend in March because that would have solved a lot of recruiting problems. We’ve just had so many coaches in such a short time span so I could see that scaring some away. Also Dolson giving Woody a raise makes it harder to afford a home run hire. 

The only way I think we can turn this around is if Woody has a desire to evolve his thinking and his roster construction. Emphasize guards and a balanced offense, shorten the bench and build a team where guys can either play multiple positions or play a position that maximizes their skill set (ex- Reneau at 5).

That said, get a competent coach here and I think between the transfer portal and NIL you can turn it around quickly and succeed here. I think there’s a ton in CBB that can do that. The key is, can Dolson not fall flat on his head. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

I’ve said it countless times but we are in a “purgatory” state right now.

It would be really tough to convince a coach to come here if Woody gets canned after 3 years, with some of the things he accomplished last year (TJD with PF of the year, Fino NBA and conference FOTY, top 2 regular season in conference, conference semis, top 25 pretty much the whole year, tournament win.) Last year was massive for this program not walking away with some trophy or getting to the second weekend in March because that would have solved a lot of recruiting problems. We’ve just had so many coaches in such a short time span so I could see that scaring some away. Also Dolson giving Woody a raise makes it harder to afford a home run hire. 

The only way I think we can turn this around is if Woody has a desire to evolve his thinking and his roster construction. Emphasize guards and a balanced offense, shorten the bench and build a team where guys can either play multiple positions or play a position that maximizes their skill set (ex- Reneau at 5).

That said, get a competent coach here and I think between the transfer portal and NIL you can turn it around quickly and succeed here. I think there’s a ton in CBB that can do that. The key is, can Dolson not fall flat on his head. 

i don't disagree with your overall point, but don't other coaches probably realize that TJD has in like his 8th year of college basketball and was pretty much still the same player, but more experienced?  and that JHS was going to do what he did given the chance?  i'm just not ready to give a ton of credit for that.  then i guess he accomplished making the tourney, but going nowhere with that.  i don't think that's a huge accomplishment with the talent we had.  i do agree about the purgatory statement though.  would be a pretty unpopular firing at this point and continue the carousel.  someone like May could fear he'll be jobless in 3 years if he isn't succeeding.  unfortunately we agree that Woodson ain't goin anywhere and he is not the guy we need to get us over the hump.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I don't buy most coaches in the country having fear over being fired.  1.  We are talked some extremely confident and successful people that IU would be looking at.  None of which think, I'm probably going to fail and get fired in 3 years.  Most think, I'm hanging banners.  

2.  In 5 years, they would make 20 million or so dollars.   What's May making right now?  1.2 mil?

11 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i don't disagree with your overall point, but don't other coaches probably realize that TJD has in like his 8th year of college basketball and was pretty much still the same player, but more experienced?  and that JHS was going to do what he did given the chance?  i'm just not ready to give a ton of credit for that.  then i guess he accomplished making the tourney, but going nowhere with that.  i don't think that's a huge accomplishment with the talent we had.  i do agree about the purgatory statement though.  would be a pretty unpopular firing at this point and continue the carousel.  someone like May could fear he'll be jobless in 3 years if he isn't succeeding.  unfortunately we agree that Woodson ain't goin anywhere and he is not the guy we need to get us over the hump.  

So a coach shouldn't ever get credit  for making good players better. I saw a lot of growth from TJD his last two years. He played a lot harder his last two years and gave a lot more effort consistently. I saw him develop as a passer and ball handler. I guess we will keep disagreeing about JHS because he developed a lot from the start to the end of the season. He came into school not considered a one and done player or a lottery pick. By the end of the season he was both. I see Reneau and Ware both have developed over their last season.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I don't buy most coaches in the country having fear over being fired.  1.  We are talked some extremely confident and successful people that IU would be looking at.  None of which think, I'm probably going to fail and get fired in 3 years.  Most think, I'm hanging banners.  

2.  In 5 years, they would make 20 million or so dollars.   What's May making right now?  1.2 mil?

Coaches will look at their current situation and say why leave what they have built to go to IU. A guy like May would leave but I don't think guys that are established at a power five conference team would leave to come here

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So a coach shouldn't ever get credit  for making good players better. I saw a lot of growth from TJD his last two years. He played a lot harder his last two years and gave a lot more effort consistently. I saw him develop as a passer and ball handler. I guess we will keep disagreeing about JHS because he developed a lot from the start to the end of the season. He came into school not considered a one and done player or a lottery pick. By the end of the season he was both. I see Reneau and Ware both have developed over their last season.

kind of stretching my words to say a coach shouldn't ever get credit.  TJD got better i suppose, but at what exactly?  playing harder consistently?  he didn't improve his range or diversify his game did he?  JHS came in a 5 star recruit with a body already ready for B1G level of play.  Woodson started him out off the ball, so he wasn't what he would later become.  i still argue that had X not gone down he would have kept him there and held him back.  so if we want to give him credit, we can say he at least put him at PG when he had to?  other than that, we'll keep disagreeing.  i would think Reneaue is just about what everyone expected now that he starts and gets a ton of touches.  i guess we can say he seemed to get Ware to play harder for a while, but isn't it kind of turning into what happened at OR as far as inconsistent effort?  only difference is that he continues to start every game and get a lot of touches every game.  i'm just not willing to say Woodson has a proven record of developing players.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Ok so I’m going to address 2 things here the first is that Woodson didn’t develop JHS until he had to. He didn’t maximize his potential until after X got hurt because he was playing off the ball a lot. As for TJD his overall skill set didn’t really develop. He was just put in situations to succeed at a higher level under Woodson. The second is that people claiming coaches would be scared of taking the IU job are just wrong. Most coaches think they can be the one to fix a situation. Was Saban scared to take the Alabama job because they weren’t what they were under Bear Bryant and had gone through several head coaches since? Absolutely not and look what happened. I actually think there are some parallels to Alabama pre Saban and IU currently. The right coach can change everything. 

I don't think they would be scared to come here but I don't think they would feel the need to come here. Why would a successful coach at a power conference team leave their current situation to come here. If they have proven they can win where they are at and make as much money why would those coaches come here.

28 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Ok so I’m going to address 2 things here the first is that Woodson didn’t develop JHS until he had to. He didn’t maximize his potential until after X got hurt because he was playing off the ball a lot. As for TJD his overall skill set didn’t really develop. He was just put in situations to succeed at a higher level under Woodson. The second is that people claiming coaches would be scared of taking the IU job are just wrong. Most coaches think they can be the one to fix a situation. Was Saban scared to take the Alabama job because they weren’t what they were under Bear Bryant and had gone through several head coaches since? Absolutely not and look what happened. I actually think there are some parallels to Alabama pre Saban and IU currently. The right coach can change everything. 

so you're agreeing with me about JHS and TJD?  just making sure i understand.  would make me feel a little better to have someone i generally respect and agree with saying that!  

44 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Absolutely can

• Like 2

Coaches will look at their current situation and say why leave what they have built to go to IU. A guy like May would leave but I don't think guys that are established at a power five conference team would leave to come here

Would Bruce Pearl?  He's probably a top 15 coach with experience and has been consistently forming top 15 teams, and is top 10 in pay.  Regardless how you feel about him. Would he come to IU?

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Would Bruce Pearl?  He's probably a top 15 coach with experience and has been consistently forming top 15 teams, and is top 10 in pay.  Regardless how you feel about him. Would he come to IU?

He would crawl across glass and nails to coach at IU, but he’ll never have the opportunity 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

so you're agreeing with me about JHS and TJD?  just making sure i understand.  would make me feel a little better to have someone i generally respect and agree with saying that!  

Yep I do agree with your assessment. 

• Like 1

I don't think they would be scared to come here but I don't think they would feel the need to come here. Why would a successful coach at a power conference team leave their current situation to come here. If they have proven they can win where they are at and make as much money why would those coaches come here.

If a true coaching search was done I think they’d find someone that wants a new challenge. 

• Like 6