Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

2 hours ago, bronkonagurski said:

Okay I can't take it anymore, fire everyone. The coaches, the ball boy, the ushers, the vendors, the cleaning crew, the parking lot attendants, and IU Scott. 

I just fired off an email to Dolson about sh**canning IU Scott.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Indykev said:

And people think kids are lining up to play here. Posted this for the "we didnt need him anyway, bigger fish to fry", crowd

I still don't understand why anyone would use these stars/ratings 4-5 years after the fact. This is poor data. 

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah…

There is a scenario, don’t think it’s likely but it isn’t zero, that we have a lot of guys leave, struggle to fill the roster then win like ten games next year. Dolson has to be worried about his job security if he brings Woodson back and that happens. 

If we were ever in on guys like Dalton Knecht and Caleb Love last season, I find it highly unlikely that those level players will give us even a second glance this offseason considering how this season is playing out.  We might get a talented player because of NIL, but that player will be choosing us for the money more than the opportunity to win.  Championship teams are not built under that philosophy.  

I want winners.  Winners aren't going to jump on the Indiana train when there is not much of a chance to win.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 8

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If we were ever in on guys like Dalton Knecht and Caleb Love last season, I find it highly unlikely that those level players will give us even a second glance this offseason considering how this season is playing out.  We might get a talented player because of NIL, but that player will be choosing us for the money more than the opportunity to win.  Championship teams are not built under that philosophy.  

I want winners.  Winners aren't going to jump on the Indiana train when there is not much of a chance to win.

Certainly someone would tell Woodson to change this system? Has to…we can’t play this style next year. He has to sell a brand new system to the guards/perimeter players in the portal. Has no choice! 

Edited by Hoosier987

52 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I still don't understand why anyone would use these stars/ratings 4-5 years after the fact. This is poor data. 

I think the point he is trying to make is that untapped talent in the right hands can overcome obvious talent in the wrong hands. 

Now, if you want to make an argument that the star ratings themselves are bad, okay.  But, the coaching staff still has responsibility to recognize when the talent is fools gold and when talent has been overlooked.

People used to say Knight could beat a team with IU and then switch benches the next night and beat IU with the other team.  There is some truth to that, and the longer that lack of execution goes on without being fixed, the greater it is to overcome.  

Look at your own situation.  You work with a great high school football coach with a great system.  If coach May took over, say Corydon on Monday of game week (pretend it's September) and I assumed head coaching duties of Brownstown the next day, I'm winning the game this Friday night.

Fast forward 2 years.  Am I beating a Reed May coached Corydon team after they've had two years in his system, and, during the same time, Brownstown has suffered through mine?  Of course, he's going to beat me.  As you know, Corydon went 0-10 last season and you guys beat them 42-6.  It's not that Brownstown is that much more talented.  They have been coached to reach their maximum potential as a unit where other teams are just a collection of individual players.

That's what IU is dealing with now.  A team with talent that has no cohesiveness as a unit, and seemingly no ability to correct any weaknesses.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Would you rather…..

1.  Bring everyone back 

2.  Bring nobody back 

How about everyone but the coaches back lol….no honestly we need a reboot. I don’t mind about half the guys…but this team looks like it’s being coached by a 65 year old….oh wait.

Thing working against Woodson is he has 1 recruit lined up for next year…1. That is signally not much changing next year. If you want a clean break…it would seem now is the time…with the cupboard looking pretty bare and no reinforcements on the way. Woody goes worse case scenario we lose 1 recruit.

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

How about everyone but the coaches back lol….no honestly we need a reboot. I don’t mind about half the guys…but this team looks like it’s being coached by a 65 year old….oh wait.

Not sure I want Ware or MR back….if I’m you guys 

if I’m CMW….screw that if I’m TG during film I’d point out every 💩 rotation & block out 

Has to be brutal to watch from the bench the lack of effort knowing you can’t even get in the game 

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

I've said this consistently the last couple of weeks. I think Woodson deserves another year, but I think whether he deserves another year is irrelevant and completely the wrong question. 

If you're the AD or whoever is making these decisions, the only question that matters is, "do you think Mike Woodson and his staff are the people to turn this around in a big way?"

If the answer is "no", then you have to clean house after this season. If the answer is "yes", then as the AD I would need an extremely detailed plan from Woodson clearly outlining how he plans to turn it around. If I like the plan then I guess he would get that year that he deserves. If I don't (ie. very little change, need to get them over the hump, etc.) then you also have to make the change. 

Why does he "deserve" another year? Are you just saying that it's not fair to give a guy a job like this and only give him 3 years to prove himself? In years past, I might agree with that, but in the age of NIL, and given the cupboard he inherited was far from bare, I have a hard time seeing how that applies here and now. 

The results themselves are enough for me to hope the powers that be are putting out feelers for who might be interested. The repeated defensive breakdowns, the substitution patters and the inability of a huge lineup to rebound are enough for me to want to fire him regardless of what the plan is. Those things don't take 4 years to fix.

• Like 3

Open question about the “star” rating system. 
i agree I don’t put as much emphasis on stars, I remember thinking the kid from Army who was probably unrated was better than any of our guards, at least that 1 night, but, why are only 5 stars that end up at IU the ones who are ranked incorrectly? I know other schools have “busts”, but the big time players going to big time schools seem to work out more often than not.

I think the issue for what seems like forever is development. Players have seemed to regress, and I wonder how much the last two seasons can be attributed to CMW telling Trayce what he had to do to go pro, and Trayce having the work ethic to do it.

As simple as it sounds, other players on other teams seem to just be better than our guys .(especially in the IQ dept) love Malik, but he fouled TWO 3 point shooters today. 
Time and Time again we see players, many of them lower “ranked” than our guys and with the exception of Leal, come into SSAH and play the game of their lives. Like they care. Like it means something to them. And how many times do we see IU run down the floor, miss a 3, and the other team simply come back down the floor and easily hit their 3? Really, like why can’t we shoot? Why play with such little care? (Except Leal and sometimes TG) 

It could be the pressure of wearing the uniform,  ( speaking of which the pink uniforms have run their course and are becoming an eyesore) but something is or isn’t happening to all the high level talent that comes to Bloomington that has an end result of losing to teams like Penn St. Hate Purdue all you want, and I do not care for them, but the model of what they are doing, is what/ who we want to be. And this all has to fall on the coach. 

I hope we’ve learned our lesson! Don’t hire a coach just because he was an IU guy ! Hire a great coach who can lead a Big Time Program! We are IU damn it ! Let’s not take a chance on a up a coming mid major ! Let’s get a coach! 

Edited by OLDIUFAN
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Why does he "deserve" another year? Are you just saying that it's not fair to give a guy a job like this and only give him 3 years to prove himself? In years past, I might agree with that, but in the age of NIL, and given the cupboard he inherited was far from bare, I have a hard time seeing how that applies here and now. 

The results themselves are enough for me to hope the powers that be are putting out feelers for who might be interested. The repeated defensive breakdowns, the substitution patters and the inability of a huge lineup to rebound are enough for me to want to fire him regardless of what the plan is. Those things don't take 4 years to fix.

I think you're focusing on the wrong part of my post. But I get what you're asking/saying. 

I didn't mean he deserves it as some big defense of Woodson. I just meant that coaches usually get more than 3 years. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Purdue7 said:

Would you rather…..

1.  Bring everyone back 

2.  Bring nobody back 

There are a few players I would prefer to be back but we need a better structured roster. Also need better coaches who can teach the fundamentals and not just be a recruiter.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

We can use whatever we want, at the end of the day our coaches aren’t doing anything close to a good enough job. We are tracking towards the worst season in your life except for Crean’s first couple, so whatever reason you want to put on it the coaches are responsible for the awful result. 

• Like 2