Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

Just now, BGleas said:

The biggest reason I'm ready for a change after this season? I don't trust this staff to be able to fix this. I don't trust this staff to put together a roster and system/style that will make IU a top 25 team next season. 

He has ran the same system for 3 years so I say it is a great chance he won't ever change. What I don't understand was that with the Knicks they shot a lot of 3's at least for that time period. I think they set a NBA record for 3's in one year

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He has ran the same system for 3 years so I say it is a great chance he won't ever change. What I don't understand was that with the Knicks they shot a lot of 3's at least for that time period. I think they set a NBA record for 3's in one year

They did, but the next year they went with a bigger roster and really sucked, then he got fired. If you read quotes from the players when he got fired, they won’t shock you. 

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

We can use whatever we want, at the end of the day our coaches aren’t doing anything close to a good enough job. We are tracking towards the worst season in your life except for Crean’s first couple, so whatever reason you want to put on it the coaches are responsible for the awful result. 

84-85

85-86

03-04

04-05

05-06

08-09

09-10

10-11

16-17

17-18

18-19

19-20

20-21

These years alone are infinitely worse vs this year. In staying with board rules I won't attack the poster but the comment. This year is no way worse. Now I will say one thing that is a common denominator post Knight. If somebody is say approaching 40 years old. 11 of the worst IU basketball seasons of all time have been in the last 22...or roughly the age somebody graduated from IU. Food for thought.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Cbp4IU said:

Im not a Doyle guy or a Indy Star guy but they seemed to have turned against Woody now. They usually seem like the last line of defense of “protecting the coach with positive narratives.” 

Lol, greggggg sticks a finger in the air to see which way the wind is blowing, then runs as far as he can in that direction to try and stand out with his take.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

84-85

85-86

03-04

04-05

05-06

08-09

09-10

10-11

16-17

17-18

18-19

19-20

20-21

These years alone are infinitely worse vs this year. In staying with board rules I won't attack the poster but the comment. This year is no way worse. Now I will say one thing that is a common denominator post Knight. If somebody is say approaching 40 years old. 11 of the worst IU basketball seasons of all time have been in the last 22...or roughly the age somebody graduated from IU. Food for thought.

I can absolutely make a case this season is worse than those, other than the early Crean seasons.

The recent seasons, as in the last Crean year and the Archie years, are all better than this currently. It’s honestly not even close.

04 is probably comparable, 05 is better and 06 was a 6 seed.

We won 19 and 21 games in 85 and 86. Finished second in the Big Ten in 86. How is this team close to that?

I am genuinely curious, what measure are you using to say this team isn’t that bad?

And knock of the implied shots at me, that crap poisons the board more than anything. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

84-85

85-86

03-04

04-05

05-06

08-09

09-10

10-11

16-17

17-18

18-19

19-20

20-21

85-86 was my freshman year of college.  We finished second in the Big 10 in a race that came down to the final game at Michigan.

• Like 4

He deserves to be fired.  Because of his IU legacy, he stays one more year.  But, imo this year especially shows his inability to succeed at college level. After the UConn blowout, Woodson said he told the players they saw firsthand what a championship type team is.   Hard working, tough etc.  Despite that loss, little has improved.  We witnessed embarrassing losses to Auburn,  Nebraska, Purdue and Penn State.  Woodson has not taken responsibility for much of anything.   We continue to see spotty defense, same old predictable offense, mind boggling substitutions and little game plan adjustments.  I believe the players and fans deserve a better coach who can deliver consistent winning/competitive performances.   Given the size of his paychecks, he’ll likely hang around longer.  I hope not.  

16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

84-85

85-86

03-04

04-05

05-06

08-09

09-10

10-11

16-17

17-18

18-19

19-20

20-21

05-06? This season/team is much worse than that year/team. That team was ranked for a large portion of the year and was a 6 seed in the tournament that made the round of 32. Plus we were w/out DJ White the whole year. Not even comparable. That team wipes the floor against this team.

even the 19-20 team won 20 games and was going to make the tournament…

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

05-06? This season/team is much worse than that year/team. That team was ranked for a large portion of the year and was a 6 seed in the tournament that made the round of 32. Plus we were w/out DJ White the whole year. Not even comparable. That team wipes the floor against this team.

even the 19-20 team won 20 games and was going to make the tournament…

Yeah… to come up with that list says to me that not everyone has accepted how bad this team is.

I don’t understand what anyone is using to say this team isn’t terrible - metrics, eye test, how we have performed against good teams… none of that points to a good team. 

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I can absolutely make a case this season is worse than those, other than the early Crean seasons.

The recent seasons, as in the last Crean year and the Archie years, are all better than this currently. It’s honestly not even close.

04 is probably comparable, 05 is better and 06 was a 6 seed.

We won 19 and 21 games in 85 and 86. Finished second in the Big Ten in 86. How is this team close to that?

I am genuinely curious, what measure are you using to say this team isn’t that bad?

And knock of the implied shots at me, that crap poisons the board more than anything. 

Today sucked and the season has been disappointing so far but we have yet to lose 12 of 13 like we did in 18-19. Time will tell but it's a bit premature to say this is the worst season in our life. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

Today sucked and the season has been disappointing so far but we have yet to lose 12 of 13 like we did in 18-19. Time will tell but it's a bit premature to say this is the worst season in our life. 

That team also had some really good wins and was a bubble team. This team doesn’t have any good wins and I don’t think it’s going to make the NIT. 

• Like 3

I think if IU wins only 2 more games Woodson should be fired no matter what. You can’t be under .500 with the caliber of players you recruited. I don’t know if iu can even win 2 games if they continue to do the same gameplan.

• Like 1

I might get some hate for this but IU basketball as a whole died 25 years ago when Brand fired Knight. A lot of blue bloods have stayed blue bloods bc they passed the program off to guys that understand what it means to represent that school. IU didn’t get that chance. Myles Brand got his wish when he fired Bobby, IU mens bball no longer represents the university and I personally believe that was his goal. Sorry for the rant but I don’t where this program goes from here and I’m starting to lose hope it will ever get better and return to the good ole days 

• Like 8

Ladies and gentleman the whole point of this conversation is IU is not where it belongs in the trajectory of the program conversation.

Archie was fired because he failed. Crean was fired because it was determined he had reached his ceiling which wasn’t high enough for a traditional blue blood.

Look where we are right now with Woodson. We (IUBB) are not good. We are no where near or even approaching the level of play that Woodson was brought in here to establish.

Even though his sideline demeanor reminds me of droopy the cartoon dog, I’m sure he’s a great guy. Takes pics with folks and makes the older generations feel all special yada yada. He’s not the guy IU needs to return to its spot on the national grid. We are the worst team in the state.

7th grade JT Rink, Dr. Rinks grandson plays better ball than this entire squad. Kids gonna be special btw.

Sack up and move on or continue the 1970s reunion. Thanks Buckner.

• Like 5

This season has sucked not only because of the losses but also what it has turned this board into. It’s exhausting to read the condescending and childish back and forth between everyone, but back to the point of this long winded post. I was never really on board with the Woodson hire. In all honesty I wanted musselman thought he would do great here. However I started to like Woodson with the two tourney appearances the recruits he brought in. If he gets fired after this season then that’s the decision they make and I’ll support it. If they do it they better make the right hire. I’m under 40 and it will the 5th coaching change in my lifetime. That is unacceptable for a blue blood program. Also again if they get a new coach that MUST win immediately. There will be no patience from me. We cannot afford to be told to be patient anymore and wait with NIL and the portal that coach has to win and win now. Anyway most won’t read this as it is long but such is life. Thanks for coming to my ted talk.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

We can use whatever we want, at the end of the day our coaches aren’t doing anything close to a good enough job. We are tracking towards the worst season in your life except for Crean’s first couple, so whatever reason you want to put on it the coaches are responsible for the awful result. 

👍 pretty clearly 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

85-86 was my freshman year of college.  We finished second in the Big 10 in a race that came down to the final game at Michigan.

Sure am sorry about that. Was including 85-86 because of getting beat by Richmond. I know certain teams getting beat by double digit seeds in tourney not once, not twice, but 3x is all glossed over. My apologies. 

PS...my aunt, uncle, and sister were in school at the time. Getting beat by Richmond that year to them was worse vs Crean early years, all of Archie,etc...combined.

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Sure am sorry about that. Was including 85-86 because of getting beat by Richmond. I know certain teams getting beat by double digit seeds in tourney not once, not twice, but 3x is all glossed over. My apologies. 

PS...my aunt, uncle, and sister were in school at the time. Getting beat by Richmond that year to them was worse vs Crean early years, all of Archie,etc...combined.

I'm sure some older fans would consider 76-77 the worst ever. 

• Like 1