Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Amen, it is disgraceful to see people who call themselves IU fans would want Beard as the coach

You have a guy in your avatar photo that choked cops and kids. ask his secretary how he treated her for years. Love coach Knight but there is no coach in the country that has done the shit he did.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Got a response to my e mail

Thank you for your follow-up Scott after the Penn State game. Your thoughts on the present and future of the program have very much been heard.

To me this sounds more like Scott shut up and leave me alone

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Indykev said:

You have a guy in your avatar photo that choked cops and kids. ask his secretary how he treated her for years. Love coach Knight but there is no coach in the country that has done the shit he did.

He wouldn't understand hypocrisy if it punched him in the face.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I was also a guy who was calling for a change from RMK on Peegs like 4 years before he had fired. Had an old timer on there threatened to find me and kick my ass. After the tape of the Reed incident he should have been fired.

Also the avatar is more for the trophies

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Winning cures all right? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I was also a guy who was calling for a change from RMK on Peegs like 4 years before he had fired. Had an old timer on there threatened to find me and kick my ass. After the tape of the Reed incident he should have been fired.

Dont worry IU doesnt have it in them to ever hire a Chris Beard.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yeah. That would be about the time he quit getting past the first weekend. 

2 hours ago, IndyResident16 said:

-P5 head coaching experience

-previous tournament success

-Runs an offense that relates to the 21st century

-identify and develop talent

That's a good start. So if he has these qualifications, he gets a longer leash?

Here are the coaches that do not qualify: (*borderline)

Dusty May

*Scott Drew - last 10 years he has made it out of the first weekend 3 times with 1 ship. pretty good. but I wouldn't necessarily call that "success"

*Bruce Pearl - between Tennessee and Auburn, in 15 season he has 2 sweet 16's, 1 EE, and 1 FF. I wouldn't call that success

Just to name a couple and the hot names i am seeing. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

That's a good start. So if he has these qualifications, he gets a longer leash?

Here are the coaches that do not qualify: (*borderline)

Dusty May

*Scott Drew - last 10 years he has made it out of the first weekend 3 times with 1 ship. pretty good. but I wouldn't necessarily call that "success"

*Bruce Pearl - between Tennessee and Auburn, in 15 season he has 2 sweet 16's, 1 EE, and 1 FF. I wouldn't call that success

Just to name a couple and the hot names i am seeing. 

Dusty May would be somewhere between 10-15 on my list.

Scott Drew is a top 5 coach in college basketball and Bruce Pearl isn't far behind. Of course they qualify lol. 

Edited by IndyResident16
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Hard to think about we are 2 coaches removed from Crean and we are worse today than we were with him. SAD.

For sure we are a worse program today. Crean got fired because IU saw itself as an elite program with elite standards. Three Sweet 16s wasn't considered good enough without deeper runs, and with a couple of bad years mixed in.

Now that we've seen how bad it can really get, I think our standards are lower. If a new coach comes in and matches Crean's resume (minus the first 2-3 years) - does he get fired? I doubt it.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

This same state and flagship university employed a man who was convicted of assault on a law enforcement officer for nearly 20 years after the fact. Coach Knight faced extradition to Puerto Rico to serve a 6 month jail sentence until the governor of PR ran out of resources. 

Spare me with your holier than thou attitude. Chris Beard is paid to win basketball games. He's a basketball coach for crying out loud, not the face of moral compass.

Thank you, someone had to be brutally honest and address the elephant in the room. Not to mention, he physically assaulted a former player (Neil Reed), and said vile things like, “I think if rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it.” Not that long ago, I witnessed 17,000+ give him a standing ovation. We didn’t give him the Joe Paterno treatment and tear down his memorabilia and try to completely disassociate because he was a poor representative of our university and our values. 

I completely understand and respect anyone that doesn’t want Beard as the coach, I do. It’s very commendable of you to have such standards. I’m just comfortable with calling a spade a spade and admit I’m willing to give Beard the Knight treatment if it means getting back to a stable place. 

Also, if the justice system, the NCAA, and Ole Miss all feel it’s ok to give this man a second chance at life, I find myself asking, “well then, who am I to judge?”

If I were Dolson and Whitten, I would simply ask him about the situation, what he learned from it and what measures he’s taking to better himself. If he says things like he’s gone sober, is getting counseling/taking couples therapy, volunteering at a battered woman’s shelter etc, I would feel comfortable hiring him knowing he’s learning from his mistakes and doing his best to prevent it from ever happening again. 

Friendly reminder that with all the FBI cheating, strippers, coke, etc involved with Pitino, he was apparently clean enough for multiple catholic schools (Iona, St Johns) to feel he was still fit to represent them.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Shooter said:

For sure we are a worse program today. Crean got fired because IU saw itself as an elite program with elite standards. Three Sweet 16s wasn't considered good enough without deeper runs, and with a couple of bad years mixed in.

Now that we've seen how bad it can really get, I think our standards are lower. If a new coach comes in and matches Crean's resume (minus the first 2-3 years) - does he get fired? I doubt it.

Crean had fallen out of favor with much of the local high school coaching fraternity and local AAU brass. He was throwing wild offers out to players who had no business playing in the B10, let alone Indiana. His in-game adjustments were horrible from the start and he never learned . He did land a fair share of high impact recruits and he could really develop some kids and his offense for the most part were fun to watch. But in the end I think his tenure had run its course and he showed his true colors at Georgia. Nice guy though, definitely better than anything we've seen the last 6-7 seasons but he should not be the barometer of success here.

Edited by IndyResident16

3 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Thank you, someone had to be brutally honest and address the elephant in the room. Not to mention, he physically assaulted a former player (Neil Reed), and said vile things like, “I think if rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it.” Not that long ago, I witnessed 17,000+ give him a standing ovation. We didn’t give him the Joe Paterno treatment and tear down his memorabilia and try to completely disassociate because he was a poor representative of our university and our values. 

I completely understand and respect anyone that doesn’t want Beard as the coach, I do. It’s very commendable of you to have such standards. I’m just comfortable with calling a spade a spade and admit I’m willing to give Beard the Knight treatment if it means getting back to a stable place. 

Also, if the justice system, the NCAA, and Ole Miss all feel it’s ok to give this man a second chance at life, I find myself asking, “well then, who am I to judge?”

If I were Dolson and Whitten, I would simply ask him about the situation, what he learned from it and what measures he’s taking to better himself. If he says things like he’s gone sober, is getting counseling/taking couples therapy, volunteering at a battered woman’s shelter etc, I would feel comfortable hiring him knowing he’s learning from his mistakes and doing his best to prevent it from ever happening again. 

Friendly reminder that with all the FBI cheating, strippers, coke, etc involved with Pitino, he was apparently clean enough for multiple catholic schools (Iona, St Johns) to feel he was still fit to represent them.

Like Coach Knight, he is one of the few coaches in America whose talents outweigh their baggage. 

2 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Crean had fallen out of favor with much of the high school coaching fraternity and local AAU brass. He was throwing wild offers out to players who had no business playing in the B10, let alone Indiana. His in-game adjustments were horrible and he never adjusted. He did land a fair share of high impact recruits and he could really develop some kids. His offense for the most part was fun to watch. But in the end I think his tenure had run its course and he showed his true colors at Georgia. Nice guy though, definitely better than anything we've seen the last 6-7 seasons but he should not be the barometer of success here.

I agreed with the decision to let Crean go, not trying to re-litigate that.

My point is Crean's results were pretty good, just not good enough for an elite program. IU still saw itself as an elite program then. I'm not sure we (or anyone else) sees us that way anymore.

6 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Domestic abuse vs what Pitino got in trouble for are not remotely comparable. Pitino allegedly cheated to win basketball games, Beard allegedly beat his wife.

6 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I'd take him if one of the two remain. From what I've heard, he's not a freshman starter. 

Coming out of high school, he's the right handed version of Malik Reneau...

Not super athletic, needs to work on his body, but very good footwork and a soft touch around the rim...And he'd probably get about the same amount of minutes as a freshman...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

My perspective on how I viewed the RMK incidents.

The PR incident with the police. I was 9 years old and when you are a kid you view things through a different lense than you do as an adult.

The chair throw. In the winter of 1985 I was 14 and at that age I probably thought it was cool.

For yelling at players during games. During that time that was just a normal behavior for a coach. I had Junior high coaches yell and scream at you.

The older I got I actually saw what his behavior was and that it shouldn't be tolerated

I will start by saying that I think Woodson can turn it around. I am not all aboard the fire Woodson train. They failed miserably by not landing any guards in the portal coming into this year.. I am not surprised by our struggles. We are in a good spot with Queen and have the NIL to land high level guys in the portal. I am okay with him getting another year. 

That said, I will be excited if we move on as well. There are plenty of concerns I have with Woodson's philosophies that lead me to have a hard time believing he will ever win big at IU. With the current landscape of college basketball, I think you can plug in another coach this off-season and they would be able to turn it around immediately just as well as Woodson can. That's exactly why if Dolson doesn't see it working, he needs to make a change.

If we do move on, I would prioritize finding a proven winner first if I were Dolson. Beard would be my top choice. I understand he was tangled into some ugly stuff, but the case against him was dropped. The dude wins, can recruit at a high level, and is only 50 years old. He is going to move on from Ole Miss, and I can already see him going to Louisville this off-season and winning a sh*t ton there for the next 20 years.

Pearl or Drew have been mentioned and are fine options as well that I'd be just as happy with. Bottom line is, if IU makes a change, they absolutely cannot miss on another hire. Drop a bag. Get a big name. Stop messing around.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Coming out of high school, he's the right handed version of Malik Reneau...

Not super athletic, needs to work on his body, but very good footwork and a soft touch around the rim...And he'd probably get about the same amount of minutes as a freshman...

DQ is a better passer

2 minutes ago, Kdug said:

Domestic abuse vs what Pitino got in trouble for are not remotely comparable. Pitino allegedly cheated to win basketball games, Beard allegedly beat his wife.

I’m well aware that domestic violence and illegal bribes are two different things. 

My point was that two catholic schools, who you would hope and assume to have a high morale compass, were willing to give a man a second chance fully aware that he was wrapped up in a multitude of distasteful things that a standard catholic would find disgraceful and disqualifying. 

• Like 1