Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Oh and Calipari.   What a loser for not landing a single recruit at the Indiana high school 4 a championship last year.  Seriously.   

I wouldn't throw recruiting around when it comes to the '24 class for IU and Kentucky.  They have a bit more in hand than we do.

Kentucky's '24 recruiting class 
image.thumb.png.d749c68c1ef4660709cf428f0c9e5a70.png

IU's '24 recruiting class
image.thumb.png.26942965e3a3b9bb00f15a50d1a65658.png

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

My bad. Calipari, not Self.  How in the world did Kansas get Flory if they didn't go to every single high school basketball game of his.  Unreal the laziness of Kansas recruiting.  :coffee:

FsGpf0fWcAIxfBT.jpeg

Sorry it was the 2022 title game. AND it is his home state....his main recruiting base. You get guys by putting in the work. We have one recruit coming in next year. If we had more and/or the roster looked more structurally sound, then sure it could be an unfair criticism. This is not the case.

But, by all means, let's overlook the roster construction as a whole and let it distract us from a huge problem on the horizon. 

Do you honestly feel comfortable about next year? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

IU's roster entire collectively makes 6 mil?  Any component coach could come rebuild here instantly if that is accurate.   

Another way to think of it is how does Woodson have that much NIL at his disposal and still have massive gaps in his roster and have such a down year? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I would throw recruiting around when it comes to the '24 class for IU and Kentucky.  They have a bit more in hand than we do.

Kentucky's '24 recruiting class 
image.thumb.png.d749c68c1ef4660709cf428f0c9e5a70.png

IU's '24 recruiting class
image.thumb.png.26942965e3a3b9bb00f15a50d1a65658.png

image.png

We would all feel a lot better with a boogie in hand wouldn't we?

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

We would all feel a lot better with a boogie in hand wouldn't we?

Actually no i wouldn't. I would feel much better if we had 2 or 3 PG/SG in hand.  We already have Malik and Sparks and any other portal Big that wants to come here.  Just my 2c though

3 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Sorry it was the 2022 title game. AND it is his home state....his main recruiting base. You get guys by putting in the work. We have one recruit coming in next year. If we had more and/or the roster looked more structurally sound, then sure it could be an unfair criticism. This is not the case.

But, by all means, let's overlook the roster construction as a whole and let it distract us from a huge problem on the horizon. 

Do you honestly feel comfortable about next year? 

I've been calling for the retire since the inception or maybe even before the inception of this thread.  

He's losing from an optics and product standpoint.  That I do not deny.  What I've called over the top, is the reaction to day one of Indiana sectionals.  Was Teri Morren at day one of Indiana sectionals?  Purdue's women's coach is squaring away that program, did she lose ground on day one?  It looks bad but we literally have no clue if it matters/mattered and what other fish were or are frying.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Actually no i wouldn't. I would feel much better if we had 2 or 3 PG/SG in hand.  We already have Malik and Sparks and any other portal Big that wants to come here.  Just my 2c though

I want an experienced point guard over a 4 star freshman.  I'd take a John Wall talent though.  

16 minutes ago, Feathery said:

It was a number I saw a “insider” use for IU. Now that could also mean that it’s 6 mil in total and it covers multiple years. I did see something like a year ago that had IU has the #2 NIL school for basketball in the Big Ten. (Illinois is #1).

And they'd never top us if we were good. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Another way to think of it is how does Woodson have that much NIL at his disposal and still have massive gaps in his roster and have such a down year? 

He screwed up.  The big question is, does he get another crack at it or not?  Seems like almost all momentum has stalled.  Do they already know which guys we are in the hunt for in the portal?  Freshman class of 25 isn't saving next season.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Texas tech has only made one final four. They did have a lot of transfers but I dont remember the amount. They also fell off the next year and won 18 games. Then 18 the following year as well. That was also pre-NIL. This season there was a stat that was posted on social media that every team that took more than 4 were not projected to make the tournament. 

Now with NIL the top teams can offer money and a chance to win by supplementing. So IU in order to have a chance to land the pieces to be a contender next season will need to raise a boatload of cash and overspend. Forget the $6 mil they spent for this year, going to have to be substantially more imo. 

They had two deep tourney runs.

That 4 transfer stat seems pretty misleading. I wonder how many teams qualify? I would assume not many. To me, look at teams that have a couple of starters (that's what we need - it's really not hard to see us being hugely successful next year with just one transfer starting. I don't care too much how we fill out the back of the roster), just with 5 minutes of research, I found Houston, and Tennessee have two transfers starting. Kansas has one plus a top 7 rotation player. UConn is loaded with transfers in their 2nd year at the program (I would assume that means last year, which worked out quite well for them, they had a lot of transfers starting/rotation players.) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I've been calling for the retire since the inception or maybe even before the inception of this thread.  

He's losing from an optics and product standpoint.  That I do not deny.  What I've called over the top, is the reaction to day one of Indiana sectionals.  Was Teri Morren at day one of Indiana sectionals?  Purdue's women's coach is squaring away that program, did she lose ground on day one?  It looks bad but we literally have no clue if it matters/mattered and what other fish were or are frying.  

And I think this is exactly why the whole sectional game is being talked about. The timing is just horrific.....Woody isn't doing himself any favors when his back is getting closer to being against the wall. From what I understand, the staff wasn't' there either. 

It just feeds the narrative that when it comes to game planning, roster construction, recruiting, etc., Woody just keeps tripping over these smaller things. The mistakes are compounding and it's effecting the larger picture.  It's like the analogy I heard on a podcast yesterday: "the hump is becoming a mountain"....and every mistake is making that mountain bigger.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

And I think this is exactly why the whole sectional game is being talked about. The timing is just horrific.....Woody isn't doing himself any favors when his back is getting closer to being against the wall. From what I understand, the staff wasn't' there either. 

It just feeds the narrative that when it comes to game planning, roster construction, recruiting, etc., Woody just keeps tripping over these smaller things. The mistakes are compounding and it's effecting the larger picture.  It's like the analogy I heard on a podcast yesterday: "the hump is becoming a mountain"....and every mistake is making that mountain bigger.

And that is accurate and balanced.  Not just fanning the flames and throwing gas, just to fit the narrative.  Some of the other stuff the last few days has just been gas throwing silly.   You know what happens a lot of the times to the guy that throws gas on a fire?  They don't reap many benefits.  Our fans absolutely are the fuel to the fire but man we burn ourselves from time to time.  

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Had to be satire. No way he actually believes that. 

Hate on MP if you want but he’s a basketball junky.  He sits with the “fans” 

Find anyone who doesn’t like him or the players/coaches he surrounds himself with.  I think CMW is a good guy from everything I’ve heard/read….trying to adjust to college coaching in a fish bowl 

58 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Yep.  Pearl and many other coaches would bring at least a few guys with them.  The only problem would be admissions.  Pretty sure Auburn let's about anyone in.  

so does IU...No more sat or act unless you are Kelly. Record class sizes 4 years in a row and counting. That IU degree used to be worth something, now you might as well go to Ivy Tech. Same thing just cheaper.

• Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I want an experienced point guard over a 4 star freshman.  I'd take a John Wall talent though.  

I want a good roster construction. Which includes 4 year kids and experienced vets.  Might get that from the portal, might also have that from HS recruiting.  Balance is needed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Remind me how many games Woodson showed up to Ke'lel Ware in high school?

I'm not going to respond to all the quotes but geez guys. One game and you guys go 10 page postal on it? 

A portal recruit bis different than recruiting high school kids and you know it.

• Like 5

Maybe it's indicitive of something.  You seem to be in the know.  It's either already sunk or it's not.  That's what we are all trying to figure it out.  

Pretty sure only in Indiana is the first night of the state tournament magnified like this fan base magnifies it.  If you can't admit that, then we have no middle ground here and I'm totally fine with that.  I'm not calling it nothing but some of these takes are the equal opposite of Goodman troll takes. 

And maybe this thing already is 90% over and they know it.  You tell me. 

Actually Wednesday night was the second night of the tournament. Also it being a tournament any game can be the players last game of the year so you need to be there. What else on a Wednesday night did the coaching staff had to do, go to dinner with friends and drinking wine 

• Like 2

Is the reaction to Woodson not showing up to any sectional games a little over the top?  I don’t know, maybe.  But when I hear of players’ parents and families liking tweets criticizing Woodson for it, it’s obvious that Woodson’s no-show didn’t help anything.  As to the theme that it’s “only one day of sectionals” or “only the first round of the tournament” ….. it’s a tournament.  The thing about a tournament is only half the teams advance.  If I’m a college coach and wanna make sure I see my guy(s), the first round is when I need to be there.  Woodson’s already lost his chance to see Sisley.

• Like 1

Woody sat front row next to Bruce Pearl, Izzo, Self, and Painter in the state championship game.  Come on guys.  This is just piling on now.  At least be accurate.  

It was two years ago he didn't attend the championship games, I was there and saw plenty of other coaches there 

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

The families of these players know that and the other staffs are aware as well and trust me it is being used. There is a strong narrative out there that guys like Sisley and Mullins do not fit what CMW is looking for.  As a high school player in the state of Indiana having the IU staff show up for your sectional game just means a little more. When the best program in the state the past decade makes the effort and says this is why we are where we are with guys just like you that fit OUR system the kids and parents are listening. For each of these guys every game the rest of this year could be their last competitive game of the year. Having the staff there is important. We all know what AAU is, not knocking I got my coaching start there but its not the same. IU is BLOWING it with 2 in state kids that mark my words will kill us for 4 years at either PU or ND. I said it with Braden Smith and I am saying it again. this staff is losing the recruiting battle in state and  on the court to PU. 

Bingo. Scratching my head at why this is debatable. But to each their own.

• Like 4

My bad. Calipari, not Self.  How in the world did Kansas get Flory if they didn't go to every single high school basketball game of his.  Unreal the laziness of Kansas recruiting.  :coffee:

FsGpf0fWcAIxfBT.jpeg

Self was there last year

Oh and Calipari.   What a loser for not landing a single recruit at the Indiana high school 4 a championship last year.  Seriously.   

That is not true, they got a guard from like southern Indiana who played in the 2A championship 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

The year he had knee replacement?  Lazy bum

Nope, he was on vacation. He had knee surgery last summer during a key AAU time of the year. Good try though LOL!

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1