Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

Just now, IU Scott said:

I didn't say we would be good but better than Crean's first year. If Crean had the portal that year then his first year would have been a lot better

Crean would have been 300 times more successful filling a roster this season than this staff will be.  I truly think it has a chance to be as bad, if not worse. 

IU might be 2023 Louisville level bad next season.   

• Like 4

My question for the administration would be this: if you were prepared to pay Brad Stevens $10+ million to become the next coach of Indiana University, why would you immediately settle for Mike Woodson when that fell through? Never thought that this would work. Then when he wasted a scholarship in the portal era, when getting another guard should have been a priority…. Well, that was a telling sign of what was to come. Hopefully they figure it out and do the right thing. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

Feel like I need to email someone. @IU Scott has Dolson, QB and the BOT covered so I've decided to write Jack Swarbrick at Notre Dame and see how he feels about basketball fan refugees seaking asylum.

What a cluster!!!!

V7NHQO6T8GwJgkr9o0.gif

I will never change my fandom to another team especially ND

44 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Wish I could find the tweet, someone shared it in a postgame thread a couple of weeks ago, but when I hear this news I think back to that Woodson quote last year when he said, "it's not my job to get Miller Kopp shots."

As a shooter seeing a team struggle to shoot last season and hear the coach say that about the one good shooter, I would be terrified to play there. 

Thoughts on why he announced 24 hours after the university announced that Woodson was their guy?

28 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

are you Hoosier Til Death by chance?  possibly reincarnated?  if so, i'm glad to have you back my man!

HE WAS  THE BEST!!   MILE!!! CC!! AND SO MANY MORE !!! I ENJOYED IU MBB FOR SOOOO! MANY YRS ! I WON'T SHIT ON IU BB!! GET REAL? IF YOU WANT TO BE!!!!!!! IU MBB!!! GET OVER  GRAY !! GET TO TODAY!! HOPE? IU CAN OEVER COME THEM SELVE'S BUT NOT !!  GOING TO HAPPEN!! I WILL DWELL IN THE PAST!😟🏀

Just now, Hoosier987 said:

Thoughts on why he announced 24 hours after the university announced that Woodson was their guy?

Not sure. I don't want to oversell the significance of the timing, but it also can't be a coincidence. 

Sounds like there had been rumblings for awhile on this though. 

When I watch our team, I've often been puzzled as to why a player like McNeely would choose IU in the first place. 

Never really made sense. 

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Andershock on Peegs said that McNeeley has had concerns for months about IU and he finally decided to decommit today. 

Who blames him?? Why in the heck would a “shooter” want to stand around in this system that is bottom in the nation in 3 point attempts?? I mean hello!! Saw this one coming. Good luck getting any good guards playing your “2 big pound it in the post and stand around” offense 

• Like 3

On 3/5/2024 at 10:01 AM, Maedhros said:

Now, Part Two to the above, this post indirectly gets to why I don't think Woodson turns it around, and that year four will likely be his last.

My big concern is it's just too late. Woodson came from the NBA, and from the moment he arrived on campus his priority was recruiting the best of the best, guys who looked like players he saw in the NBA. Now, outside of your Dukes and Kentuckys, his hit rate on those players has been impressive! The problem is there haven't been nearly enough three- and four-year guys brought in to build around them. Kaleb Banks isn't playing. Walsh had to convince Woodson to bring in Cupps. That's it.

Woodson has essentially tried to shortcut the process, just as Penny Hardaway did at Memphis and Juwan Howard at Michigan. That can lead to good results when you have the right talent on had. When those guys leave early, or you miss on a cycle, you have no baseline established to maintain continuity.

The premise of the quoted post is straightforward. If those guys go, of course Woodson has to go too. There'd be nothing left. You can fill in on the fly with the portal, but any new coach can do that too. If you're going to be starting from scratch in year 4, might as well be with a new coach, too. 

Every complaint I have about Woodson can be tied to his lifetime of experience at the NBA level, and his need to adapt to what's required at the college level. Some of those lessons can still be learned. But even if everything else gets fixed, I susect his failure early on to engage in roster building with a view to the long term means he won't have the runway to get this program to consistently perform at a level fans demand.

Welp. Recruiting was always my concern. If you can't hold on to McNeeley, then what's the point? I'm officially flipped to Woodson can go. There's no future with Woodson. He hasn't built a foundation, and there's no point in keeping him.

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Depends on who they get and who leaves. I don’t have faith in Woodson getting it done

I think if Ware Reneau Gallo and Mgbako all leave… I don’t think you could even have a product to attract portal guys. Also who is to say some of the big nil donors will invest money.

Edited by Cbp4IU
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

He is Kansas Bound, Self snagged him up over the last few weeks 

I know he's not going to Maryland. I just think it would be hilarious if he followed Queen there.

Meanwhile, I'm longing for the Mike Davis days when "help is on the way"... at least he thought he had some.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not sure. I don't want to oversell the significance of the timing, but it also can't be a coincidence. 

Sounds like there had been rumblings for awhile on this though. 

When I watch our team, I've often been puzzled as to why a player like McNeely would choose IU in the first place. 

Never really made sense. 

My theory is he waited this long because he liked the guys, the campus, facilities, NIL, etc so he was holding out hope something would change either stylistically and then eventually just a new coach but keep all the stuff he likes. When that didn't happen his hand was forced.

Again, just a theory but it's the best I can figure. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It is laziness.  Woodson is f---ing lazy.  That is why you hear rumblings of a GM or building rosters through the portal every year.  He was used to the NBA lifestyle and he likes the trappings that come with being the head coach at Indiana but he doesn't want to do the work.

He needs to just retire so he can do what he really wants to do.  This is all a vanity project to feed his ego.  He wanted this a decade ago and got rejected so now it is just a status thing for him.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

This whole McNeeley situation better scare Woodson. Or at least piss him off. If it doesn't, it's a real problem.

There is ZERO margin for error. There is ZERO leeway for coasting on laurels' past. This is a dog-eat-dog world and you better be on AT ALL F---ING TIME.

Them's the breaks. Don't like it, don't do it. But if you want to play the game, you better be a SHARK and you better be hungry.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Wish I could find the tweet, someone shared it in a postgame thread a couple of weeks ago, but when I hear this news I think back to that Woodson quote last year when he said, "it's not my job to get Miller Kopp shots."

As a shooter seeing a team struggle to shoot last season and hear the coach say that about the one good shooter, I would be terrified to play there. 

That quote. It all comes back to that quote. Every complaint I have above Woodson can be explained as a failure to adapt to how programs are built, run, scouted and recruited at the college level, as opposed to the NBA where Woodson spent a lifetime ossifying. And that quote is a confession of everything he never learned before or after taking this job.

• Like 7