Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

What was our recruiting budget?  I recall that it was astronomical.   31 offers, 11 official visits and zero recruits with no good leads.  Whiffed on top 3 recruits of McNeely, Queen and Fland. Great message to the next batch for ‘25 and ‘26. 

Great ROI.   At least we have the Simons to buy a bunch of unnamed mercenaries who are cash-focused to support the coach they are imposing on the AD and the consumers of the product.  Good thing we wouldn’t stoop to hiring Pearl.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Mike Woodson is the most incompetent college basketball coach I’ve ever seen. Once again Walsh got Liam to commit and then Woodson bailed and Liam decommitted. 

....There certainly has to be light at the end of the deep cave IU admin has created. How can Dolson sit there and "watch this ship continue to take on water, listing more and more each week?"

The players do talk and I can't image a player or multiple players have been let their feeling known. I feel at this rate, some of these guy are playing for themselves and trying to improve their stock for other suitors. JMO

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Mike Woodson is the most incompetent college basketball coach I’ve ever seen. Once again Walsh got Liam to commit and then Woodson bailed and Liam decommitted. 

Sadly the administration might be even more incompetent than Woody.  We'll find out over the next 10 days or so.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Sadly the administration might be even more incompetent than Woody.  We'll find out over the next 10 days or so.

I can’t think of a school that self sabotages itself in any sport like IU does, in terms of a school that could be good but the keystone cops prevent it.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 7

7 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

They definitely are… Woody certainly has his own struggles, but all he’s really doing is continuing the trend of the past 25-30 years. Maybe one day the administration will figure it out

8 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

They definitely are… Woody certainly has his own struggles, but all he’s really doing is continuing the trend of the past 25-30 years. Maybe one day the administration will figure it out

No other top 50 program much less a top 10 program would've even given Woody a sniff if he had wanted to get into college coaching.  I don't blame Woody.  Yes he's clueless and lazy but if you were going to pay me millions of dollars a year to sit around drink wine, and smoke cigars, I'd jump at the opportunity and so would everyone here.

He never should've been hired.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

If you’re hoping the administration reverses course on retaining Woodson…don’t. We’re stuck with Sleepy Mike for at least another 12 months. 

Edited by Hoosier987

2 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

I still think this happens. 

I'm 50/50.  It would beyond insane if the administration brings him back for more season just so Mike can walk the green mile.  Everyone knows exactly how this will end and it will be very toxic and ugly.  Not sure the program could ever recover.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

We have the biggest recruiting budget and most NIL $ in the entire B1G.

But we also have the worst coach in the league and the dumbest administration in the whole country.  These things tend to balance themselves out.

Exactly!…..

Junky trailer with a Ferrari in the driveway…. My analogy of your post!

IMG_6298.thumb.jpeg.4386e3b1192671ad8279f6c383a6cdef.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I can’t think of a school that self sabotages itself in any sport like IU does, in terms of a school that could be good but the keystone cops prevent it.  

How can Quinn think that this is going to help his beloved IU? This could quite possibly be his most memorable legacy as opposed to his lofty IU bb career. 

SMH....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

I still think this happens. 

That would make sense as to why Liam stopped hearing from Woodson. That said Woodson has proven to not be good a recruiting HS kids so who knows. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

No other top 50 program much less a top 10 program would've even given Woody a sniff if he had wanted to get into college coaching.  I don't blame Woody.  Yes he's clueless and lazy but if you were going to pay me millions of dollars a year to sit around drink wine, and smoke cigars, I'd jump at the opportunity and so would everyone here.

He never should've been hired.

And the thing is, they knew that.  That is why they forced Matta (in particular) and Fife on him.  They knew, they just did not care.

9 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

People need to let the AD do their job. IU constantly has other people butting into the decisions because they have money or think they need to have an opinion and it just doesn't work out well. 

I agree 100% in general. In this particular instance, though, as much as I agree that a leadership change for the program is needed, I can also understand why the deep pockets are reluctant to buy out another HC so soon, just 3 years removed from Archie and less than 4 months after Allen. Especially when the current AD -- justifiably or not -- extended Allen and recently gave Woodson a raise, jacking up the cost of the buyouts.

Just now, IUProfessor said:

I agree 100% in general. In this particular instance, though, as much as I agree that a leadership change for the program is needed, I can also understand why the deep pockets are reluctant to buy out another HC so soon, just 3 years removed from Archie and less than 4 months after Allen. Especially when the current AD -- justifiably or not -- extended Allen and recently gave Woodson a raise, jacking up the cost of the buyouts.

Buyout is only a $1M a year.  That's not a reason to not cut bait.  Dolson actually knew what he was doing with that "raise".

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

Glass didn't make the Archie hire and Dolson didn't make the Woodson hire. The AD needs to be given a shot to make his hire. Yes, the Allen extension was stupid. The Woodson raise was smart because of how it impacted his buyout. Woodson's buyout didn't increase because of that raise. 

• Like 1

Just now, RoadToZion said:

He's done NOTHING since he landed Mackenzie. Literally nothing. I thought that was the start of something special. Then he got lazy. Please step down. 

The level of incompetence and laziness is insane. 

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Glass didn't make the Archie hire and Dolson didn't make the Woodson hire. The AD needs to be given a shot to make his hire. Yes, the Allen extension was stupid. The Woodson raise was smart because of how it impacted his buyout. Woodson's buyout didn't increase because of that raise. 

I agree wholeheartedly.  Just saying I can understand why the deep pockets expect a bit of input when they've been called upon so frequently of late.

13 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Buyout is only a $1M a year.  That's not a reason to not cut bait.  Dolson actually knew what he was doing with that "raise".

True, but if we're seriously exploring Pearl, someone is going to have to pony up serious cash to buy him out, pay him ~$7 million per year, etc.

I’m not sure the program will recover from this debacle of hiring Woodson. He’s an IU legend with a giant ego…I don’t see them firing him even after next season…I think he stays until he’s ready to retire or his 6 year contract is not renewed. If he cared about iubb at all, he would retire instead of sitting around smoking cigars and taking the program for millions. 

Can’t blame Liam for looking out for his future. With the mass exodus that’s coming, next years portal team may be worse than Crean’s first year. 
I can’t believe it’s too much to ask to find a coach that cares, that can recruit, and make the tournament yearly. We are well past the point of having high expectations. Sad, sad state of affairs for iubb. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1