Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

Just now, btownqb said:

We need to be a little thicker-skinned, then. We could just, you know, listen to AL. 

Sure, we all could be in every aspect, and end of the day I don’t care what Leal says nor does it affect my decisions. But that doesn’t mean I can’t have an opinion on it. From his standpoint, I just don’t think the comments were necessary simply from the fact he is going to piss some people off that do have some clout and ability to make negative financial decisions for IU and maybe for him in the future. It comes off as unintelligent to a lot of people. I always go back to the comment Michael Jordan made, “Republicans buy Nikes too”. He seems to be all about his brand, so whether you think it’s crazy or not, don’t alienate people that could possibly enhance your brand. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We need to be a little thicker-skinned, then. We could just, you know, listen to AL. 

He's a human, he's allowed to have an opinion, a voice. 

This just goes to show you how some kids feel about their coach and what he/she does for them. That's what is most important to them,....that they're happy and feel they're in the right place. 

I was super surprised with the support what they said about Coach Woodson and the current state. 

It's no secret that I feel we need a change in direction and a fresh voice to this team, but it's not up to me. At this point, I will just have to wish for the best and a stellar off season recruitment in the portal. It has to be that way as well as some new and improved assistant coaches and hopefully an improved Coach Woodson. That's a lot of positive changes needed for this team. Who knows what will happen.... I also wouldn't be surprised it at the end of the season, Dolson comes out and makes a change. 

JMO

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Artesian_86 said:

This just goes to show you how some kids feel about their coach and what he/she does for them. That's what is most important to them,....that they're happy and feel they're in the right place. 

I was super surprised with the support what they said about Coach Woodson and the current state. 

It's no secret that I feel we need a change in direction and a fresh voice to this team, but it's not up to me. At this point, I will just have to wish for the best and a stellar off season recruitment in the portal. It has to be that way as well as some new and improved assistant coaches and hopefully an improved Coach Woodson. That's a lot of positive changes needed for this team. Who knows what will happen.... I also wouldn't be surprised it at the end of the season, Dolson comes out and makes a change. 

JMO

Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s great the team appears to be united and they are sticking up for each other. You want and need that camaraderie in a team. I just think he could have said some positive things about CMW without addressing the fans in any other way than saying “thank you”.

29 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

It’s an opinion article so it’s not a writer for the Star.  Unless their writers contributed to opinion articles?

Don't know. It's being promoted on the Star's Twitter account, so I assumed some compensation. If so, bully for him on making a quick easy buck.

20 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He's a human, he's allowed to have an opinion, a voice. 

Fans are allowed an opinion too...and without claiming they aren't true fans.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I wish there was a different way to address "QB"!!

Everytime this old man sees that I'm thinking what does a football quarterback have to do with basketball?? 🤪

Rourke is probably wondering why he is getting all this mail complaining about Woody 

13 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Sure, we all could be in every aspect, and end of the day I don’t care what Leal says nor does it affect my decisions. But that doesn’t mean I can’t have an opinion on it. From his standpoint, I just don’t think the comments were necessary simply from the fact he is going to piss some people off that do have some clout and ability to make negative financial decisions for IU and maybe for him in the future. It comes off as unintelligent to a lot of people. I always go back to the comment Michael Jordan made, “Republicans buy Nikes too”. He seems to be all about his brand, so whether you think it’s crazy or not, don’t alienate people that could possibly enhance your brand. 

Wasn't necessary? If you are in Leal and TG's shoes, and feel the way they do... those comments seem VERY necessary. 

Idk the types of shit these guys gotta put up with from fans. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Wasn't necessary? If you are in Leal and TG's shoes, and feel the way they do... they seem VERY necessary. 

Idk the types of shit these guys gotta put up with from fans. 

Care to explain what shit they have to put up with?   I bet for the most part treated very well by fans and they are big men on campus.

Any negatives they are dealing with in regards to fans are probably the same shit all players in the past have put up with as well, except now they are getting paid 6 figures.  

Sorry but I don't think even other students would feel sorry for their lot in life.

Edited by iuswingman
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Care to explain what shit they have to put up with?   I bet for the most part treated very well by fans and they are big men on campus.

Any negatives they are dealing with in regards to fans are probably the same shit all players in the past have put up with as well, except now they are getting paid 6 figures.  

yeah.  gotta agree.  i mean my son plays basketball and while not at that level, he gets $ for his college, attire, food, etc.  these guys get a lot more than that.  while it would be rough to read bad stuff about my kid, it kind of goes with playing on a national stage, right?  if they get flack for anything it is on social media and they don't have to read it.  i guess like Barkley always said - i am not a role model?  sorry it comes with the limelight.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Right, until you realize these are actual people. 

and?

Does that mean no one can have a negative opinion on what they say publicly or on how they perform on the court?

You are acting like we are defending death threats or even personal insults against the player.  Talk about an over-reaction.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

and?

Does that mean no one can have a negative opinion on what they say publicly or on how they perform on the court?

You are acting like we are defending death threats or even personal insults against the player.  Talk about an over-reaction.

According to Kentucky fans we killed over 50 Kentucky players during the Tom Crean era.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, iuswingman said:

and?

No, I am not acting like that, at all.

Not understanding how mentally taxing what some of our players go through, a lot of D1 athletes go through is an interesting perspective to have in regards to this discussion, though. Your words. 

But getting all butthurt over AL's words from Sunday is just wild. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

No, I am not acting like that, at all.

Not understanding how mentally taxing what some of our players go through, a lot of D1 athletes go through is an interesting perspective to have in regards to this discussion, though. Your words. 

But getting all butthurt over AL's words from Sunday is just wild. 

Those were not my words.  Have issues with reading and comprehending? 

Pathetic.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I wish there was a different way to address "QB"!!

Everytime this old man sees that I'm thinking what does a football quarterback have to do with basketball?? 🤪

Thank you!!!!   I thought I was the only one!!  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, iuswingman said:

Those were not my words.  Have issues with reading and comprehending? 

Pathetic.

I don't. lol 

You verbatim asked "Care to explain what shit they have to put up with?"..... so, again, you not understanding the struggles an athlete can go through is an interesting perspective to have in regards to this discussion. But because you think they get free shit it's easy? Crazy. I guess, using your words, I would call that pathetic. 

• Haha 1

I will say small sample size but from what I have seen players are treated pretty well around town.

I see them constantly and it’s nothing but love.

Saw Trace and Race last summer post draft at Target and Race driving the old man cart because he was hurt.  I showed them love and appreciation post graduation and everyone else was as well.

I once also saw Crean and family at Target(don’t hate me I love Target) and said hello and he actually engaged with me.  Talked about how much I loved Haunted Hall of hoops for my kids.

Also besides the crazies most people don’t have the balls to speak bad to their faces IMO.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't. lol 

You verbatim asked "Care to explain what shit they have to put up with?"..... so, again, you not understanding the struggles an athlete can go through is an interesting perspective to have in regards to this discussion. But because you think they get free shit it's easy? Crazy. I guess, using your words, I would call that pathetic. 

Didn't say it was easy and I was asking about what shit do they have to put with from fans, given that was the subject at hand.  You are trying to move the goal posts.

Edited by iuswingman
  • Like 1