Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Anthony didn't say anything even remotely like that.. 

No, Woodson did

What Anthony said wasn't much better

"I do gotta make something very clear," Leal continued. "Adversity is part of sports, and for those of you who are so quick to give up and call for quits and everything, there's a reason that you guys aren't coaches. So relax. There's no other coach in the country that I would trust with anything in my life than coach Woodson, and there's no other university I'd want to represent. So we're gonna run it back, but you guys gotta chill."

Edited by iuswingman
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

No, Woodson did

What Anthony said wasn't much better

"I do gotta make something very clear," Leal continued. "Adversity is part of sports, and for those of you who are so quick to give up and call for quits and everything, there's a reason that you guys aren't coaches. So relax. There's no other coach in the country that I would trust with anything in my life than coach Woodson, and there's no other university I'd want to represent. So we're gonna run it back, but you guys gotta chill."

Are we actually dissecting these quotes? 

6 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Imagine being upset by any of that. What are we doing here?

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

All I learned from that article is they'll let anyone write for the Indy Star these days. Time for us to stop wasting our time here for free. We could get paid for the same effort and quality of work by a legitimate publication!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I would assume the staff has been talking to the team for weeks about not paying attention to the noise from the outside. Using the phrase the true fans are here to support you, show up to and watch the games. That would be the reason for using the term in their speeches. 

Again if we can give them shit over how they are playing and coaching then they can give it back. If your butt hurt over the term true fan and some one calling you out about it. Maybe you’re not the true fan. This isn’t directed at anybody personally or staying anyone isn’t a true fan. Just don’t understand why everyone cares that much. I consider myself a fan. I can question them and bitch when they lose. I can critique the performance of players and coaches. That’s my right as a fan. The players and coaches have the right to call us out if they want. I will still be a fan today tomorrow next year and the year after it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i don't care personally what the players or coach say about true fans.  i think it is a bad move for them though.  i don't see anything good out of being combative with the fan base especially when A.) you have underperformed and B.) it wasn't like it was brought up.  again, if a reporter asks you about it, 100% absolutely support your coach or if you're the coach, support your players.  i would expect nothing else.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, 94hoosier said:

I would assume the staff has been talking to the team for weeks about not paying attention to the noise from the outside. Using the phrase the true fans are here to support you, show up to and watch the games. That would be the reason for using the term in their speeches. 

Again if we can give them shit over how they are playing and coaching then they can give it back. If your butt hurt over the term true fan and some one calling you out about it. Maybe you’re not the true fan. This isn’t directed at anybody personally or staying anyone isn’t a true fan. Just don’t understand why everyone cares that much. I consider myself a fan. I can question them and bitch when they lose. I can critique the performance of players and coaches. That’s my right as a fan. The players and coaches have the right to call us out if they want. I will still be a fan today tomorrow next year and the year after it. 

of course they have the right to say what they want..

And i have the right to think what they said was dumb and unnecessary.

Edited by iuswingman
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i don't care personally what the players or coach say about true fans.  i think it is a bad move for them though.  i don't see anything good out of being combative with the fan base especially when A.) you have underperformed and B.) it wasn't like it was brought up.  again, if a reporter asks you about it, 100% absolutely support your coach or if you're the coach, support your players.  i would expect nothing else.  

Yeah, arguing against your point is ridiculous IMO. We actually have people on here supporting CMW and Leal telling people that have shown up over and over through the crap we’ve seen the last 30+ years to chill out ….smh. This isn’t about supporting your coach. It’s about being smart enough to not insult the people that have put up with the team’s underperformance for many years. You can support CMW without insulting the fans. Doesn’t surprise me that Woodson or XJ talked about “true” fans, but I am surprised Leal wasn’t smart enough to support CMW without insulting some of the fan base. Bottom line, whether people were okay with it or not, it isn’t a smart business decision for him or IU bc you pissed off a large group of people. Not to mention it’s coming from a kid who isn’t a difference maker. 🤷🏻‍♂️ He dropped the ball massively IMO and I expected better from him. 

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 4

56 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

All I learned from that article is they'll let anyone write for the Indy Star these days. Time for us to stop wasting our time here for free. We could get paid for the same effort and quality of work by a legitimate publication!

It’s an opinion article so it’s not a writer for the Star.  Unless their writers contributed to opinion articles?

Edited by iuthruandthru

2 hours ago, iuswingman said:

Should post that in some of the iu basketball groups on facebook and see how the true fan warriors swarm lol

Oh they dont like when you talk bad about Woody or the team....one post one week ban for me....lmao That were the hillbillies live.... Anthony Leal is the best player ever he went to bloomington south high school. Mike Woodson is the best coach ever, he scored a bunch of points at IU. he played for Bobby Knight you leave him alone.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

thought that was an absolutely terrible move by all.  just not the time and place.  no way that can help with the fans either.  just don't bring it up unless asked.  

I think they only went through senior night, knowing they were coming back, was to lecture the fans.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I don’t agree, but that’s okay. 

We need to be a little thicker-skinned, then. We could just, you know, listen to AL. 

He's a human, he's allowed to have an opinion, a voice. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Oh they dont like when you talk bad about Woody or the team....one post one week ban for me....lmao That were the hillbillies live.... Anthony Leal is the best player ever he went to bloomington south high school. Mike Woodson is the best coach ever, he scored a bunch of points at IU. he played for Bobby Knight you leave him alone.

Change his name to Mike Davis or Archie Miller and he's already gone.

The college players now are no different than any NBA players in terms of criticism being they get paid more than most of the fans that bought a ticket to support them in person.

As for Woodson, he needs major ringers to save his name next season and has not a single recruit for 2024. Will he get it done? Only the portal knows. How much money will it cost the donors to salvage next season while allowing Mike Woodson to remain head coach? He will retire at some point as one of the most unliked coaches of IU history.

Moving on, I feel we have once again reached the point of beating a dead horse. The admin is bringing him back. Speaking here to vent your frustrations is fine. Im as guilty as anyone. It's just not going to change anything. I would imagine speaking to Dolson directly at this point would be like having a conversation with a bowl of wax fruit.

Besides, most of us are not true fans. Im a fan of my university. If true fan means fan of Mike Woodson, then that I am not.

• Like 2