Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

33 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I mean.. why's he taking those jobs if Indiana is allegedly soooo important to him, knowing Woodson could easily be gone year 4... doesn't really add up to me. 

I think because, if it were me, you take the gift offered when it’s available. No reason to assume IU will act next year to secure his services, and why turn down a solid B1G offer if it’s presented. jmo 

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, MrsStoller said:

I think because, if it were me, you take the gift offered when it’s available. No reason to assume IU will act next year to secure his services, and why turn down a solid B1G offer if it’s presented. jmo 

well, and I don't disagree, just don't front yourself a "big IU guy" if you were to do that. 

Not really saying he, himself, is doing that, but lord we have IU brethren that are... went as far as to say he has an "IU clause" in his contract? That doesn't seem very "IU" of him to take those jobs. 

I would laugh at him for taking the UL job, though. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Seems like people will be pissed regardless. And in the same realm of "what ifs" what if May takes one of those jobs and sucks? And what if he does well and is still open to coming to IU? All are possibilities as much as anything else mentioned. 

I hope May takes one of these jobs. Right now, he’s an Archie level hire. I wouldn’t hate it, but I’m not the least bit upset if we miss out on first dibs. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I hope May takes one of these jobs. Right now, he’s an Archie level hire. I wouldn’t hate it, but I’m not the least bit upset if we miss out on first dibs. 

If you are an "IU guy" soooo much... why would being the HC at either of those two jobs deter you from taking the IU job later on..... 

assuming you'd want to even take them at all? 

24 minutes ago, btownqb said:

If you are an "IU guy" soooo much... why would being the HC at either of those two jobs deter you from taking the IU job later on..... 

assuming you'd want to even take them at all? 

Your contract could dictate that Indiana doesn't financially want to make the move if/when the job becomes available.

You are maybe playing Devil's Advocate but I look at it like this, you got a buddy who is still working for a company you started your career with.  He says people in the company have noticed you and think you would be a good fit for leadership there.  However, they just publically doubled down on the person whose job you would supposedly be the fit for and you have 3 other offers at other really good companies offering you multiple times your current salary and more resources to do the type of job you do for your current company.

I'm not waiting around for that mythical offer no matter how much that may be my dream job.  In my experience, those "you are totally our next guy" positions rarely come to fruition.  You make your move when you are at your peak and if dream job isn't offering now, you take the job being offered.

Now if dream job comes calling and you are still interested in a year or two, you can still make your move.  Even then though, you could both want it but the finances aren't there to actually make the move.

If I am Dusty May and it is confirmed Woodson is locked in for next year and Ohio State offers me $3.5+ million to come be their coach, then I am a Buckeye in the here and now and I will figure out that other stuff if we ever come across that bridge.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Your contract could dictate that Indiana doesn't financially want to make the move if/when the job becomes available.

You are maybe playing Devil's Advocate but I look at it like this, you got a buddy who is still working for a company you started your career with.  He says people in the company have noticed you and think you would be a good fit for leadership there.  However, they just publically doubled down on the person whose job you would supposedly be the fit for and you have 3 other offers at other really good companies offering you multiple times your current salary and more resources to do the type of job you do for your current company.

I'm not waiting around for that mythical offer no matter how much that may be my dream job.  In my experience, those "you are totally our next guy" positions rarely come to fruition.  You make your move when you are at your peak and if dream job isn't offering now, you take the job being offered.

Now if dream job comes calling and you are still interested in a year or two, you can still make your move.  Even then though, you could both want it but the finances aren't there to actually make the move.

If I am Dusty May and it is confirmed Woodson is locked in for next year and Ohio State offers me $3.5+ million to come be their coach, then I am a Buckeye in the here and now and I will figure out that other stuff if we ever come across that bridge.

I can't compare working for a company and IU. They aren't close, to me. 

And again, that's fine. Just... you aren't the biggest Hoosier/I have an IU clause in my contract type guy. And that's fine. But it wouldn't appear at that point, we'd be the same. 

Dusty wants to take the job, take the job. Hope he has success, again, that is just a stark contrast to "it's Indiana or nothing for Dusty", as we've heard in the past. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Well said. Waiting around for this IU administration,  especially with QB as board chairman, to make a wise decision is beyond risky. We could squeak into the tournament as one of the last 4 in the next several years, and Woodson will be retained. That's not a risk with my career or finances I would be willing to take. If he kills it and wants to come home, pull a Roy Williams and do it then.

• Like 2

I love Dusty May and want to see him at IU. But I also can't blame him for taking a a big time check if the opportunity presents itself. It's not like he can depend on IU to make the correct decision when the position opens up unless he has been giving reassurances behind the scenes. If he doesn't make a move to another program this year, that may very well be the case and he is waiting on the IU job to open.  But then he runs the risk of having a bad year at FAU (not sure what they have coming back next year) and then IU doesn't even want him. 

Edited by JABBATHEHOOSIER
  • Like 3

Just now, JABBATHEHOOSIER said:

I love Dusty May and want to see him at IU. But I also can't blame him for taking a a big time check if the opportunity presents itself. It's not like he can depend on IU to make the correct decision when the position opens up unless he has been giving reassurances behind the scenes. If he doesn't make a move to another, that may very well be the case and he is waiting on the IU job to open.  But then he runs the risk of having a bad year at FAU (not sure what they have coming back next year) and then IU doesn't even want him. 

Right right. All that makes sense. But it's apparently NOT Indiana or bust like it allegedly was just 11 months ago for Dusty. Which is completely fine. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Right right. All that makes sense. But it's apparently NOT Indiana or bust like it allegedly was just 11 months ago for Dusty. Which is completely fine. 

Is Dusty on record saying this or is this hearsay from one source to another?  Honestly don't know. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I doubt he'd be on record saying that if he was about to take the OSU or UL jobs. idk

I meant like in the past year or so.  I wasn't sure if this report was coming from the same people that had Woodson out in the next few weeks and players with their luggage packed sitting by the back door waiting on the season to end. 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HoosierDom said:

I hope he takes a job wins the NCAA tournament. i'm not the least bit upset if we miss out...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He could always give himself an out in his contract should iu come calling.  Of course, it is unknown if osu or Louisville would do something like that.

Going to Purdue didn't stop brohm from flipping to Louisville.

I don't know what dusty makes now but might be difficult to pass up millions regardless of how much he wants to be at iu.

I would probably take the job at osu or Louisville and try to make it as easy as possible for iu to steal me later.  

Edited by iuswingman

2 hours ago, Hoosierdave said:

Sorry if it’s been mentioned but Jeff Goodman is suggesting today that Dusty May will likely have the chance to choose between Louisville or Ohio St as his next coaching gig. Know West Va is interested as well. 

Wonder how our fanbase will feel if/when that happens, especially if Woody has another subpar year next season. 

Not concerned. Very possible that the  IU job would chew Dusty up and spit him out similar to what it did to Archie.  

Pearl would be the right choice, but his window is likely going to close soon because of age if it's not already.

Will be interesting to see how Shrewsberry does the next year or two at Notre Dame.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Not concerned. Very possible that the  IU job would chew Dusty up and spit him out similar to what it did to Archie.  

Pearl would be the right choice, but his window is likely going to close soon because of age if it's not already.

Will be interesting to see how Shrewsberry does the next year or two at Notre Dame.

IMO if you are doing Pearl you have to make that move now.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

wait.  who are you!?  have you given up all hope that we'll get a good coach soon?

what i have come to is this....we are going to run back the same crap team with the same crap coaches. just more of the same crap....Dolson has wore me down....until i see him out some where then i'll let him know.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1