Big Ten 2021-2022

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

We're gonna need a lot of Durr.  But have a feeling Trayce will be on the bench 5 minutes in and that will be the game.

I think we will be throwing defenders at kofi: RT, JG, Durr, ... after watching the game last night, I would not put TJD on kofi. 

Whoever is on Kofi will need rests. 

Edited by GaloisGroupe
  • Like 2

Wisconsin's strategy on D last night was what I felt like during Davis/Killingsworth years. Almost as if opposing team said let one guy (Kofi) get all the points as long as others don't beat us?

If the officials are going to get a 300 lb cyborg swings his arms/elbows around like that I don't want TJD on him at all. Or maybe just rotate people on him all game long because TJD on offense is far more valuable to us. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Wisconsin's strategy on D last night was what I felt like during Davis/Killingsworth years. Almost as if opposing team said let one guy (Kofi) get all the points as long as others don't beat us?

If the officials are going to get a 300 lb cyborg swings his arms/elbows around like that I don't want TJD on him at all. Or maybe just rotate people on him all game long because TJD on offense is far more valuable to us. 

I don’t really care how Woody does it but he needs to find a way to keep TJD on the court for 30+ minutes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I don’t really care how Woody does it but he needs to find a way to keep TJD on the court for 30+ minutes.

After watching a bit of their game last night Kofi still looks thick to me. I think one of our best moves is pace. Make him keep running up and down. Big guys get tired they commit dumb fouls. Might be the best way to go. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think our coach is a little set in his ways...From what I've seen, TJD will be on Kofi just like he was on Beady Eyed Edey...

I'm betting that Coach Woodson challenged Trayce this week, and he had a lot of time in practice battling Durr for position...

Last night, all 3 of Minnesota's bigs (Curry, Daniels, Thompson) finished with 4 fouls...Daniels had 3 in the first 5 minutes of the game (I actually thought he was the sacrificial lamb because Curry usually starts) and Thompson had 3 his first 5 minutes...Wisconsin's 2 bigs (Crowl and Vogt) finished with 4 fouls guarding Cockburn.

Big 10 officials let those 2 camp in the lane and create space by pushing people out of the way...

We survived Edey (who I think has better weapons around him)...we can survive Kofi too (I was going to say "we can survive Cockburn too" but I thought that might drum up bad memories for some 😉)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think our coach is a little set in his ways...From what I've seen, TJD will be on Kofi just like he was on Beady Eyed Edey...

I'm betting that Coach Woodson challenged Trayce this week, and he had a lot of time in practice battling Durr for position...

Last night, all 3 of Minnesota's bigs (Curry, Daniels, Thompson) finished with 4 fouls...Daniels had 3 in the first 5 minutes of the game (I actually thought he was the sacrificial lamb because Curry usually starts) and Thompson had 3 his first 5 minutes...Wisconsin's 2 bigs (Crowl and Vogt) finished with 4 fouls guarding Cockburn.

Big 10 officials let those 2 camp in the lane and create space by pushing people out of the way...

We survived Edey (who I think has better weapons around him)...we can survive Kofi too (I was going to say "we can survive Cockburn too" but I thought that might drum up bad memories for some 😉)

I don’t know if it is being 'set in his ways', as opposed to who else is supposed to guard him? I would think Durr will get some minutes on him, but this is a guy that hasn't played in the last 3 games and averages 7mpg. 

I guess what I keep asking on this topic is, who else would defend Cockburn besides TJD? I mean, starting Durr is nonsensical. I'd be hard pressed to find a coach who would actually do that. 

Definitely agree that pace is a huge factor. We need to get Cockburn playing a full court game and also pick and roll him to death when we're on offense. 

The issue comes back to defense though. In order to control the pace we need to get stops. We need our "best defense in the conference" to show up in a big way so we control the pace. 

• Like 5

I don't know that Woodson is set in his ways, I think he just values letting guys get comfortable in their roles and excelling at them a lot more than more of you do.

I also think the notion that we aren't going to put our All-American center on another center out of fear sends a terrible message to the team; it says, "you're 16-5 and have been in a position to win 20 of our 21 games, but Illinois is just too good so we have to change what we're doing." What kind of message is that? It certainly doesn't say that the coaching staff is confident in the team. 

I understand the value of Durr to throw a big body at Kofi, but he's still small compared to him. The best thing we can do to wear out Kofi, IMO, isn't throw a guy 50 lbs smaller than him at him, it's make him guard PnR and make him run. Put him in endless ball screens and XJ go crazy. Let Trayce catch the ball 15' out and drive on Kofi with his quickness. Place some small ball with Race and JG; force Kofi to guard areas of the floor he isn't comfortable. 

TJD has held his own against Kofi in his career. He averaged 15/11/2.5 blocks in 35 minutes per game last year. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I don’t know if it is being 'set in his ways', as opposed to who else is supposed to guard him? I would think Durr will get some minutes on him, but this is a guy that hasn't played in the last 3 games and averages 7mpg. 

I guess what I keep asking on this topic is, who else would defend Cockburn besides TJD? I mean, starting Durr is nonsensical. I'd be hard pressed to find a coach who would actually do that. 

Definitely agree that pace is a huge factor. We need to get Cockburn playing a full court game and also pick and roll him to death when we're on offense. 

The issue comes back to defense though. In order to control the pace we need to get stops. We need our "best defense in the conference" to show up in a big way so we control the pace. 

I think Coach Woodson is never going to try to beat you by being "cutesy" (i.e. shifting his lineup, employing a zone). He's gonna try to beat you playing the game. Not to say he won't employ some strategy, but he's going to have Trayce ready to battle...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't know that Woodson is set in his ways, I think he just values letting guys get comfortable in their roles and excelling at them a lot more than more of you do.

I also think the notion that we aren't going to put our All-American center on another center out of fear sends a terrible message to the team; it says, "you're 16-5 and have been in a position to win 20 of our 21 games, but Illinois is just too good so we have to change what we're doing." What kind of message is that? It certainly doesn't say that the coaching staff is confident in the team. 

I understand the value of Durr to throw a big body at Kofi, but he's still small compared to him. The best thing we can do to wear out Kofi, IMO, isn't throw a guy 50 lbs smaller than him at him, it's make him guard PnR and make him run. Put him in endless ball screens and XJ go crazy. Let Trayce catch the ball 15' out and drive on Kofi with his quickness. Place some small ball with Race and JG; force Kofi to guard areas of the floor he isn't comfortable. 

TJD has held his own against Kofi in his career. He averaged 15/11/2.5 blocks in 35 minutes per game last year. 

We're basically saying the same things...

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think Coach Woodson is never going to try to beat you by being "cutesy" (i.e. shifting his lineup, employing a zone). He's gonna try to beat you playing the game. Not to say he won't employ some strategy, but he's going to have Trayce ready to battle...

I agree for the most part. 

On the lineup thing though, I see this brought up a lot (replacing starters at halftime, switching the starters game-by-game), and I'm more bringing this up generally as opposed to specifically to you, but who are all of these coaches out there constantly switching their starters that a lot of you are seeing? 

I watch a lot of basketball (high school, college, NBA) and I know you all do too, but I'm not seeing all these coaches constantly changing starters game-to-game and half-to-half, to where it warrants the amount of talk it gets on our board. I just don't see this happening often. 

On employing different zones or other 'cutesy' techniques, I agree with you that Woodson isn't doing that. Some coaches are all about those things, but Woodson seems to at most maybe throw a little full court token man pressure, but otherwise we're sticking to what we do. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I agree for the most part. 

On the lineup thing though, I see this brought up a lot (replacing starters at halftime, switching the starters game-by-game), and I'm more bringing this up generally as opposed to specifically to you, but who are all of these coaches out there constantly switching their starters that a lot of you are seeing? 

I watch a lot of basketball (high school, college, NBA) and I know you all do too, but I'm not seeing all these coaches constantly changing starters game-to-game and half-to-half, to where it warrants the amount of talk it gets on our board. I just don't see this happening often. 

On employing different zones or other 'cutesy' techniques, I agree with you that Woodson isn't doing that. Some coaches are all about those things, but Woodson seems to at most maybe throw a little full court token man pressure, but otherwise we're sticking to what we do. 

That's part of my point. I do see see coaches shifting lineups to alter the game. I thought Ben Johnson did it last night by starting Charlie Daniels over Eric Curry against Purdue last night...now, maybe it was a move dictated on the practice floor, but Daniels looked to play Edey very physically, and he'd only started 4 games prior to last night...and he also had 3 fouls 5 minutes into the game...

Coach Woody is old school, like HIS coach...I don't have to trick you, I'm out to beat you man to man...

And I like that...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Good thing we can get it down to 1 game on Saturday. On the flip side, if we don't win Saturday it would be hard to envision a scenario that we could come back from down three with 8 to play. 

I think this is the most important game we have this season...

Up to this point, that is 😁

• Like 5