IU Basketball 2021-2022 Season Thread

btownqb

1 hour ago, go_iu_bb said:

If by "everything" you mean football and men's basketball, then yes. However, the athletic department also includes women's basketball, the swim and diving teams, and soccer have all been doing well.

None of which really move the dial.  The women's team is a nice distraction but women's basketball in general is not something I seek out to watch.  Same with soccer and pool related events.

Additionally, football and mens basketball pay for everything else.  We might be even more competitive in those other sports if we had good programs in the money making sports.

3 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

None of which really move the dial.  The women's team is a nice distraction but women's basketball in general is not something I seek out to watch.  Same with soccer and pool related events.

Additionally, football and mens basketball pay for everything else.  We might be even more competitive in those other sports if we had good programs in the money making sports.

Football just came off the best two year stretch they've about ever had. The whole athletic dept is a huge hit, expect for Men's basketball.

1 hour ago, CincyHoosier said:

The talent level on the roster isn't anywhere near good enough.  Side by side comparison of 2012-2013 roster with 2021-2022 roster.  Spoiler alert, it's not close. 

PG: Yogi ️ vs Johnson

SG/wing: Hulls ️ vs Stewart

SF/wing: Oladipo ️ vs Kopp

PF/wing: Watford ️ vs Race (this is close)

C/post: Zeller ️ vs TJD

Bench: Sheehey/Elston/Abell ️ vs Phinisee/Galloway/Geronimo

Is there a 3 checkmark limit?  Otherwise you need to add more checks to Oladipo.

I will also quibble with the FRESHMAN version of Yogi over XJ.  Senior version Yogi over XJ, I agree.  But not freshman Yogi.

• Like 4

Just now, 5fouls said:

Is there a 3 checkmark limit?  Otherwise you need to add more checks to Oladipo.

I will also quibble with the FRESHMAN version of Yogi over XJ.  Senior version Yogi over XJ, I agree.  But not freshman Yogi.

Hulls needs much more of a check mark, as well. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Hulls needs much more of a check mark, as well. 

I thought maybe Watford deserves another as well,  but I've always seemed to appreciate him more than other people do.  He wasn't just a shooter.  He was solid on the boards as well.

• Like 5

Just now, 5fouls said:

I thought maybe Watford deserves another as well,  but I've always seemed to appreciate him more than other people do.  He wasn't just a shooter.  He was solid on the boards as well.

Concur. And where Thompson does A LOT of things well, Watford did a fair amount of things well-- plus had an elite skill. 

I was always huge on Watford. Loved when Crean put him on Appling at MSU. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Football just came off the best two year stretch they've about ever had. The whole athletic dept is a huge hit, expect for Men's basketball.

Football is just coming off a 2 win season and has not won a bowl game since I was in grade school.  We had 2 good years sandwiched between meh.  We'll see how he rebounds next year.  He is recruiting well.

The women underperformed this year, partly due to injury but they finished 5th in conference when preseason they were a top 1 or 2 team.  I believe graduation is about to hit them hard.  Soccer is usually good but no one watches that.

Seriously, the AD is football and men's basketball for the sake of these discussions and neither of those programs are performing that well.  Indiana is textbook definition of mediocre.

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Football is just coming off a 2 win season and has not won a bowl game since I was in grade school.  We had 2 good years sandwiched between meh.  We'll see how he rebounds next year.  He is recruiting well.

The women underperformed this year, partly due to injury but they finished 5th in conference when preseason they were a top 1 or 2 team.  I believe graduation is about to hit them hard.  Soccer is usually good but no one watches that.

Seriously, the AD is football and men's basketball for the sake of these discussions and neither of those programs are performing that well.  Indiana is textbook definition of mediocre.

The women win the conference if Holmes isn't hurt. If you think that's all the AD is responsible for, then I understand your opinion. Don't believe that's only the AD's job and regardless... I think Dolson made a really good hire in basketball. 

The football program just had a season where we were ranked top 10 .... 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The women win the conference if Holmes isn't hurt. If you think that's all the AD is responsible for, then I understand your opinion. Don't believe that's only the AD's job and regardless... I think Dolson made a really good hire in basketball. 

The football program just had a season where we were ranked top 10 .... 

No it did not.  The football program just won 2 games.  It did perform decently well the year before that when there were no fans but completely fell apart in a bowl game...again.

Yeah, the AD is responsible for all sorts of stuff, but having a good football and then men's basketball programs are job 1 and 1a.  Those 2 sports pay for everything.  They are the reason there are TV contracts and are the main contributors to ticket sales and donations.  

I am done arguing the "but technically..." crap.  

Edited by IUCrazy2

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

No it did not.  The football program just won 2 games.  It did perform decently well the year before that when their were no fans but completely fell apart in a bowl game...again.

Yeah, the AD is responsible for all sorts of stuff, but having a good football and then men's basketball programs are job 1 and 1a.  Those 2 sports pay for everything.  They are the reason there are TV contracts and are the main contributors to ticket sales and donations.  

I am done arguing the "but technically..." crap.  

No, we didn't completely fall apart in a bowl game. We played with a backup QB against Ole Miss and the entire team had Covid the two weeks prior to the game and neither coordinator was able to be at practice with the team because they had Covid! 

"decently well" we were ranked top 10. That isn't "decent" ... that's actually very, very ,very good. What did we finish 12th overall? If that's only decent, does anyone have a good season? The football program is fine. It's never going to be top notch, they've done a great job building it and we just had our best recruiting class, ever. 

As for basketball... it took 22 years since Knight for us to get to this point, so why anyone would assume Woodson would fix it in a year is beyond me. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, btownqb said:

No, we didn't completely fall apart in a bowl game. We played with a backup QB against Ole Miss and the entire team had Covid the two weeks prior to the game and neither coordinator was able to be at practice with the team because they had Covid! 

"decently well" we were ranked top 10. That isn't "decent" ... that's actually very, very ,very good. What did we finish 12th overall? If that's only decent, does anyone have a good season? The football program is fine. It's never going to be top notch, they've done a great job building it and we just had our best recruiting class, ever. 

As for basketball... it took 22 years since Knight for us to get to this point, so why anyone would assume Woodson would fix it in a year is beyond me. 

The Covid year is starting to look more and more like an anomoly than anything. The start/stop of the B1G in preparing...we didn't have Covid issues until the end of the season but most other teams had them throughout. We benefited from a ton of turnovers on defense (we all know that is great to win the turnover battle but just look at Iowa and the Colts this year....you can't always count on those and when they don't come you are exposed for being mediocre).  But man...Ole Miss crushed us....and basically anyone that was playing on Sundays this year didn't play for them. I can't even remember how many guys on their side sat out and they whipped us up and down the field....it was clear we didn't even belong there that day....against mostly their second and third string guys. That year was like the stars aligning with how hysterically bad the B1G was that year....teams like Michigan/PSU/Wisc having the worst years in half a century all in the same year. I was more impressed with the year before than our top 12 finish. After this year and what it looks like we will probably have next year (I'm hoping for 6-6 but expecting 4-8) we are pretty far from finishing top 25 and would do well to get bowl eligible.

Basketball though is too soon to tell. Hoping Woody learns a lot this year and sees what works and what the program needs to run his system and compete in the B1G...and goes out and gets it the next couple years.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

The Covid year is starting to look more and more like an anomoly than anything. The start/stop of the B1G in preparing...we didn't have Covid issues until the end of the season but most other teams had them throughout. We benefited from a ton of turnovers on defense (we all know that is great to win the turnover battle but just look at Iowa and the Colts this year....you can't always count on those and when they don't come you are exposed for being mediocre).  But man...Ole Miss crushed us....and basically anyone that was playing on Sundays this year didn't play for them. I can't even remember how many guys on their side sat out and they whipped us up and down the field....it was clear we didn't even belong there that day....against mostly their second and third string guys. That year was like the stars aligning with how hysterically bad the B1G was that year....teams like Michigan/PSU/Wisc having the worst years in half a century all in the same year. I was more impressed with the year before than our top 12 finish. After this year and what it looks like we will probably have next year (I'm hoping for 6-6 but expecting 4-8) we are pretty far from finishing top 25 and would do well to get bowl eligible.

Basketball though is too soon to tell. Hoping Woody learns a lot this year and sees what works and what the program needs to run his system and compete in the B1G...and goes out and gets it the next couple years.

So we handled adversity better then others. Ole Miss beat us by 7 and we had a possession at the end to tie it. With an injured back up QB. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So we handled adversity better then others. Ole Miss beat us by 7 and we had a possession at the end to tie it. With an injured back up QB. 

We made a nice showing at the end to make it close but for 3qtrs we got dominated by a 4-5 team...it really shouldn't have even been that close nor would it have playing against their starters.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

We made a nice showing at the end to make it close but for 3qtrs we got dominated by a 4-5 team...it really shouldn't have even been that close nor would it have playing against their starters.

We didn't even practice lol 

We are one of the teams that should have called in and not played. Ole Miss was obviously loaded. 

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We didn't even practice lol 

We are one of the teams that should have called in and not played. Ole Miss was obviously loaded. 

Lane Kiffin: Ole Miss football struggling with opt outs, COVID, injuries (clarionledger.com)

They ended up in the same boat with COVID and almost all their offensive position starters opted out. They are obviously loaded...I mean it's a SEC school......even a middle of the pack one compared to us is a mismatch....but just saying us finishing 12th and that season in general...I think it was more of a fluke the way the things happened for us. Credit for us in playing well and overcoming adversity...but I'm not counting on us to be top 25 again next year or anything....if Allen get's us bowl eligible I'll say he deserves another raise.

Edited by dgambill

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Lane Kiffin: Ole Miss football struggling with opt outs, COVID, injuries (clarionledger.com)

They ended up in the same boat with COVID and almost all their offensive position starters opted out. They are obviously loaded...I mean it's a SEC school......even a middle of the pack one compared to us is a mismatch....but just saying us finishing 12th and that season in general...I think it was more of a fluke the way the things happened for us. Credit for us in playing well and overcoming adversity...but I'm not counting on us to be top 25 again next year or anything....if Allen get's us bowl eligible I'll say he deserves another raise.

Which is my point. He had us ranked top 15.... we are Indiana!!! That should be incredibly celebrated!! 

Anyways... 2021-22 basketball team was better than 20-21, unfortunate that it appears it wont be enough to get in the tourney. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Which is my point. He had us ranked top 15.... we are Indiana!!! That should be incredibly celebrated!! 

Anyways... 2021-22 basketball team was better than 20-21, unfortunate that it appears it wont be enough to get in the tourney. 

All good! It was a special season how it was all falling together...one I doubt I'll ever see again (beating Mich, MSU, PSU, Wisc) but I'm not going to say the program is somehow excelling or on the path to top 25 year in and out.

As far as basketball.....it's wait and see. I was hoping for a bid to help give these guys a taste of postseason play and create that hunger and get momentum going in the program. It isn't likely to happen without a small miracle at this point. It was an important learning year for Woody. Teaching and coaching 18-19 year olds is far different than grown men in the NBA. He will have to make adjustments....and certainly he will have to upgrade the talent...I think we are making some strides with that...but I won't pencil us in for the next decade yet....a lot to see get sorted out on this roster.

47 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We had the best two seasons we've had since 1988.... in back to back seasons. 24-22 CTA was in his first four years here, and the vast, vast majority of those against P5 competition. 

I don't think our ceiling is top 25 program. I think it's 7-5/6-6. 

Right, I get really tired of people disparaging the football team saying that the covid year was a fluke. What do we call the year before that then?

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

Right, I get really tired of people disparaging the football team saying that the covid year was a fluke. What do we call the year before that then?

I'm with you. I'm just trying to steer the topic back to basketball. 

In CTAs 5 seasons... the 2-10 year is currently the anamoly. 

On 3/3/2022 at 6:06 PM, BGleas said:

It's been a disappointing season here at the end, and it's been a disappointing last 6 six seasons. 

Some things are more important...

I'll be the first to say that I've been too hard on him - I really feel for him watching that video.

He chose Bloomington as his home at the lowest point in his life and I'm sure things haven't gone how he wants. Here's hoping that whatever time we have left with Parker goes better. Here's to finishing strong, P Stew! 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I'll be the first to say that I've been too hard on him - I really feel for him watching that video.

He chose Bloomington as his home at the lowest point in his life and I'm sure things haven't gone how he wants. Here's hoping that whatever time we have left with Parker goes better. Here's to finishing strong, P Stew! 

If one or two more of his open threes had fallen against RU, he would be celebrated as a hero

• Like 3