IU Basketball 2021-2022 Season Thread

btownqb

7 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I think people put too much stock in the transfer portal. What do you get? Graduate transfers and guys that sat on the bench.  It's just as much as a toss up as getting top flight kids out of high school 

The most coveted grad transfer/transfers have at least played against college competition, so I think you do have a better gauge on how they'll perform. Sure, star types aren't the norm, but you do see them out there...Johnny Juzang comes to mind...

You can also get kids like Jamison Battle and Payton Willis (Minnesota) who I think would have looked good on our team. Both kids who shoot north of 37% from 3 and can get their own shot.

You can get some solid pieces too...Look at Michigan last year with Chaundee Brown and Mike Smith...

And look what the Plummer kid is doing for Illinois...

So I wouldn't dismiss it...we need guards and wings that can shoot...And there will be those types from mid-majors looking to get into a P6 school, or there will be P6 school kids looking for more playing time...

Experience does win in our league...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Indykev said:

AF shot 42,5% from 3 at IU. With CMW letting them shoot he could have helped us. With that being said he quit on us all and I hope he shoots 5% the rest of his career.

I think it would really be more about the ability to create his own shot, and a lack of fear of taking the big shot, which is what this team really needs, but the outside shooting wouldn't hurt, either. I mean, the guy's gone, I have no idea why he chose to leave, so it doesn't really matter, but I don't think we were able to replace what he could have brought to the table, and it seems to rear its ugly head every game.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Indykev said:

Yes he has screwed up so many times CMW sends him to Finland to recruit maybe his most important future player.

The rumors is being spread by a user that goes by Chris something.  He talks so much that what he says become real.  He has fabricated time after time and everyone over there jumps on it.  Don't know how that happens.  Its damaging when he does this.  Heck, we signed Stevens according to him at one time.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

The rumors is being spread by a user that goes by Chris something.  He talks so much that what he says become real.  He has fabricated time after time and everyone over there jumps on it.  Don't know how that happens.  Its damaging when he does this.  Heck, we signed Stevens according to him at one time.  

When he was talking about why our RB coach left and I called him out about starting rumors he didn't like that very well.

4 hours ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

I spent many years lurking on the Peegs boards and finally got fed up with all the negativity and constant rumors like this. Glad I found you guys (thanks to @IU Scott).

HSN is the place to be!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I went to BTB just to see how they react to me calling out Chris about this rumor he started.  Can't believe how gullible and naive they are over there because they think everything he says is gospel.  Anybody can go on a message boards and start rumors since no one can be sure if they know what they are talking about. These guys status rumors all the time and have no consequences from them.  Some of them really doesn't hurt anything when it is about coaching searches.  Saying things like Woody not listening to his other coaches is something you should not start.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I went to BTB just to see how they react to me calling out Chris about this rumor he started.  Can't believe how gullible and naive they are over there because they think everything he says is gospel.  Anybody can go on a message boards and start rumors since no one can be sure if they know what they are talking about. These guys status rumors all the time and have no consequences from them.  Some of them really doesn't hurt anything when it is about coaching searches.  Saying things like Woody not listening to his other coaches is something you should not start.

Scott, stay away from the other boards that piss you off.  Just sayin.

Just now, rico said:

I get it.  But I still feel uneasy about XJ chucking up 16 shots in a game.  But then again if it works?

Has to man. We just don't have enough guards that can get their own right now. Like Parker, Kopp, and Leal can do NOTHING off the dribble. Bates still improving/No RP and TG for amounts of time. 

No one on the staff wants XJ shooting 16 shots a game. It's just a product of the way teams run offense right now/our wings not being where we want them to be. 

I get what you're saying, for sure. BUT... if he's shooting, at least RT and TJD can both Oreb. Same with JG, ya know? 4-6 from 3 is just silly efficient. 7 of his last 9 and he's hit 23-27 from the FT line in the last 3 games. 

• Like 4

For all intents and purposes, I'm considering this season over with last night's loss. I don't consider myself apathetic, I just don't see anything meaningful happening baring some miracle(s) (beating PU on Saturday or a deep run in the BigTen tourney). I went into this season with 3 goals, show improvement (which I think we did), snap the PU streak (which we did), and make the tourney (which we most likely won't).

The formula for beating IU the past several years has been simple. Teams force us to beat them from behind the arc. Archie brought in Stewart and Woody brought in Kopp to help address this and it just didn't pan out. Looking back through all our losses and outside of UM, UI and the Chicago 5 NW debacle, the other games could have easily gone our way had  1 or 2 3's fallen. There's a lot of grumbling about substitution patterns and this and that but I really think it comes down to our consistent lack of shooters. We occasionally have games where guys "go-off" behind the arc but look at the teams in front of us. They occasionally have games where guys are "off" behind the arc.

The 3-ball has been the "great equalizer" in basketball for decades now, how Archie failed to recognize this and recruit guys accordingly is beyond me. I think our current staff understands this and are working to rectify that. After Crean, I love that both Archie and Woody have emphasized defense first but I think Archie did it to a fault when it came to recruiting.  I've always felt you can coach up guys at this level to play defense but you can't turn someone into a Hulls-like shooter. Sure guys can become better shooters over time but not to the point where they are at the "if you leave him open you're gonna pay for it" level. 

Just my $0.02

• Like 4

The talent level on the roster isn't anywhere near good enough.  Side by side comparison of 2012-2013 roster with 2021-2022 roster.  Spoiler alert, it's not close. 

PG: Yogi ️ vs Johnson

SG/wing: Hulls ️ vs Stewart

SF/wing: Oladipo ️ vs Kopp

PF/wing: Watford ️ vs Race (this is close)

C/post: Zeller ️ vs TJD

Bench: Sheehey/Elston/Abell ️ vs Phinisee/Galloway/Geronimo

• Like 3

On 2/22/2022 at 2:13 PM, IUCrazy2 said:

Everything about IU athletics has been disappointing.  

If by "everything" you mean football and men's basketball, then yes. However, the athletic department also includes women's basketball, the swim and diving teams, and soccer have all been doing well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3