Will Juwan Morgan be here next season ?

8 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I know the G-League is improved, but it just feels like he would toil in obscurity and have less chance to be noticed than if he had a really nice high-profile first team B10 season where IU has a much-improved season. The old D league was more or less a career death sentence...curious how much you think the new and improved G-league has changed that perception among NBA execs?

I hope he comes back, because as I said there's certainly viability in being a potential Big Ten POY and the exposure that comes with that. He could work himself into a late 2nd/early 1st round pick, which would help his chances considerably. But with that said, I think the G-League is also a viable option, especially now with the new 2-Way Contract thing. The way defensive rules in the NBA are different from college, they're really different games. So there is some validity to going to the G-League and spending all your time working within the NBA structure, working on the shots you'd get in the NBA and the defenses you'd play. 

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TargaFlorio said:

One of Crean's big selling points to recruits during his time here was that they could come to IU and get a degree in 3 years.  Can't really be angry at guys who come here, play hard, get a degree and then follow their dreams professionally (it would sting a little bit if Juwan took a grad transfer).  Lots of people were dropping the "get your passport ready" jokes to Troy Williams when he left.  He's gotten more NBA minutes than almost anyone expected.  Losing Juwan would really hurt us next year, but I wouldn't begrudge him a bit.  

I think we need to nip the grad transfer thing in the bud. That is not going to happen, it is in no way remotely on the table, period. Morgan will be back, or he will try to go pro, those are the choices.

17 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I hope he comes back, because as I said there's certainly viability in being a potential Big Ten POY and the exposure that comes with that. He could work himself into a late 2nd/early 1st round pick, which would help his chances considerably. But with that said, I think the G-League is also a viable option, especially now with the new 2-Way Contract thing. The way defensive rules in the NBA are different from college, they're really different games. So there is some validity to going to the G-League and spending all your time working within the NBA structure, working on the shots you'd get in the NBA and the defenses you'd play. 

I think he's coming back, but I agree the G League changes the equation. However,  what is his better route to making a roster, coming back and killing it as a a senior, or fighting with all the others in the G League? I think his chances are better coming off a really strong senior season, which of course assumes he stays healthy, but his health would be an equal factor in the G League.

42 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I think he's coming back, but I agree the G League changes the equation. However,  what is his better route to making a roster, coming back and killing it as a a senior, or fighting with all the others in the G League? I think his chances are better coming off a really strong senior season, which of course assumes he stays healthy, but his health would be an equal factor in the G League.

Agree. I think these new Two-Contracts change the game as well. It creates a benefit to working your way into even the high 2nd round. There's strong validity to coming back and having huge senior year, even if the result in a high 2nd round pick and a two-way contract. 

No comment on his size but I think that he is going to have to get stronger. Late in the year I saw multiple plays under the basket where he didn't finish and it seemed like he didn't go up strong enough 

On 3/2/2018 at 8:09 AM, FWIUFan said:

Quite frankly, it's none of our business whether Juan leaves or goes beyond knowing whether there will be a scholarship to fill.  I would think as fan base we would thank any player for playing for IU.  I just can't understand why anyone would want to be critical of his decision.  If he leaves for the NBA, I will wish him nothing but success and hope he accomplishes his dreams.  The selfish side of me still wishes we could watch him develop even further playing for us next year.

Who's Juan???

33 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

What, then, is next for Indiana’s latest leading man? Where can Morgan improve?

“Everything really, because nothing’s perfect,” he said. “But the one thing I would say would just be keeping the group together in hard times. Not even just saying after a loss, but during the game, when there’s a big run happening, I think it’ll be my duty especially to just be like, look, this happened before. Let’s buckle down, get this stop, get going.”

I really do think he's coming back. I would be mildly surprised if he doesn't go through the NBA's new test-the-waters opportunity, to at least get the feedback, but I think regardless he'll be our lead guy next season.  

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

What, then, is next for Indiana’s latest leading man? Where can Morgan improve?

“Everything really, because nothing’s perfect,” he said. “But the one thing I would say would just be keeping the group together in hard times. Not even just saying after a loss, but during the game, when there’s a big run happening, I think it’ll be my duty especially to just be like, look, this happened before. Let’s buckle down, get this stop, get going.”

I really do think he's coming back. I would be mildly surprised if he doesn't go through the NBA's new test-the-waters opportunity, to at least get the feedback, but I think regardless he'll be our lead guy next season.  

That sounds encouraging. I have thought all along he was gone as that was the expectation of Crean's system, but he is saying the right things in this article to give me hope for him having a senior season. Fingers crossed.

I likewise see him getting feedback from the pros, but coming back. As an aside, I expect Carson Edwards will go through the feedback process as well.  I see more benefit for Juwan coming back than most of our Crean era pros.  It really does feel like he could make another leap now that he's spent a season as 'the guy" for IU.  That's a nice win for Indiana assuming it plays out as expected and I think it's ultimately a win for Juwan as well. Despite was Gleas says (and I believe him), the G league, while a good developer, doesn't get Juwan on national TV like staying at IU will and my gut just tells me that is more valuable in keeping him top of the mind for the people he wants to work for after next season.

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I likewise see him getting feedback from the pros, but coming back. As an aside, I expect Carson Edwards will go through the feedback process as well.  I see more benefit for Juwan coming back than most of our Crean era pros.  It really does feel like he could make another leap now that he's spent a season as 'the guy" for IU.  That's a nice win for Indiana assuming it plays out as expected and I think it's ultimately a win for Juwan as well. Despite was Gleas says (and I believe him), the G league, while a good developer, doesn't get Juwan on national TV like staying at IU will and my gut just tells me that is more valuable in keeping him top of the mind for the people he wants to work for after next season.

I agree that coming back to college is the best route for Juwan to potentially move into the first round or high second round of the draft, but in terms of being seen by the people he wants to work for, in the G-League he'd be working in an NBA system and working with coaches hired by the G-League affiliate's NBA team and playing against other NBA affiliate teams. The G-League is a completely different animal then it was 10 years ago. Most teams now have an affiliate team of their own, and the teams are in very close contact with their affiliates. It's much easier under the current system for teams to shuffle players back and fourth, etc. 

Indiana being on ESPN helps Juwan in terms of media attention, with the people that do mock drafts, building buzz and brand, etc., but it's not like that's how the NBA teams are predominately watching prospects. NBA teams are going to practices and games, talking to coaches (college and G-League), watching film, etc. Having a player on your G-League affiliate gives an NBA team first-hand, direct knowledge into their development. 

This isn't me advocating for Juwan to leave. I think he should come back and have a monster year and try to get into the high second round/late first. I think he can do that if he works his tail off on a consistent jumper, improves leadership even more, and has a huge year. There is a definite upside to making that happen, and his potential NBA future would be much more secure. I'm just saying there are several benefits to the G-League as well. 

2 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I was surprised to see that he shot 37% from 3 during conference play. That is a solid base for next year. 

Have been saying he can shoot it, just hadn't been consistent running from the beginning of the season. But yes, he started hitting with more consistency in the B1G season. He has pretty good form. I would expect his shooting to round into more consistency down the road, and that makes him more valuable for the League.

Archived