OSU Post Game Thread

Huntnfreak

1 minute ago, rogue3542 said:

Just a quick reminder that we were 12-15 last year, and never were more than three games over .500.

We are currently 16-10 after losing five straight over our toughest stretch of the season.

True, but a very different non-con schedule last year due to COVID. Only two cupcakes last year. Both teams were 7-9 in conference after 16 games

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

True, but a very different non-con schedule last year due to COVID. Only two cupcakes last year. Both teams were 7-9 in conference after 16 games

Good point.  But without looking it up, I believe we had a tougher slate those last four games whereas we have some winnable games now.  Didn’t we finish 7-13 in conference?   If that happens again now, that would be alarming.  10-10 is within reach.  The difference being, we’ve had our toughest stretch already.  

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Good point.  But without looking it up, I believe we had a tougher slate those last four games whereas we have some winnable games now.  Didn’t we finish 7-13 in conference?   If that happens again now, that would be alarming.  10-10 is within reach.  The difference being, we’ve had our toughest stretch already.  

Yes it was a tougher end to the schedule 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AxnJxn said:

I didn't say anything about morally. If morals were important, Mark Turgeon and Tom Crean would be the best coaches in the country. I'm talking about a school that took a chance on a coach, who then broke the rules (again) causing the program to be completely decimated, isn't going to turn around and hire someone that has the same issues or worse. It has nothing to do with IU not wanting to hire a big name coach, it's just a really bad idea, PR-wise, logic-wise, however you want to look at it. 

Got it. I still wouldn’t really classify Pearl that way but I understand why many do. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Dakich is ripping the staff big time.

I turned on the podcast out of curiosity.  He’s unhinged as usual.  It’s sad that he still talks about him coaching IU.  Poor guy.  Let it go.  We may have made some bad hires but he never had the stature to coach at IU.  

Anyway, he is going absolutely nuts. By “nuts” I mean clinically.    Makes it personal.  Rips everyone personally.  He doesn’t know how to critique without making personal attacks.  He’s unstable.  He’s a sad caricature.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 8

I don't have a ton to add to the discussion, but I think it's pretty clear this team lacks playmakers and shotmakers on the perimeter. There's certainly things we can pick out that could be better in areas we can control and if the standard we hold the coaching staff to is perfection then sure, we have reason to gripe. 

At this point, it seems like the staff is addressing our short comings with recruiting. We are bringing in one of the best playmakers and shotmakers in the country next year in JHS. We have Cupps coming in the next year and are in a great spot with Little. We brought in Bates in short order this year. It takes time to fix 5 years of a broken roster. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, rogue3542 said:

Just a quick reminder that we were 12-15 last year, and never were more than three games over .500.

We are currently 16-10 after losing five straight over our toughest stretch of the season.

Our schedule this year has been a lot weaker than last. I don’t think that’s a good comparison to make. 

Clearly consistency has been a problem with this team. But the glimpses I have seen of the good keep me very hopeful for the future. It is just the eye test, but the first half up in Wisconsin, the Purdue game, and the bulk of Ohio State game were better ball than anything I've seen in a long time (6-7 years). Losing streaks suck and there are some structural issues with this team that were baked in the cake. Nevertheless, CMW reset the standard for what defense means in year one. I am quite confident that the offense starts to look different in year two.

• Like 2

Going into the next game, hopefully they are up late making some changes.

1.  X should not be taking so many shots.  Let him focus on facilitating.  Work on number 2 as part of that.  And for crying out, stop getting out of control.  His metrics should focus on getting his shot count way down and get in control so the TO's come down and the assists come up.  This is a second semester senior.  3/16 with 5 or 6 turnovers is ridiculous.  He can get some shots within the flow of the offense.

2.  Get Miller Kopp some more looks.  Treat him like a viable option in your offense and let him get some shots.  This is a kid who has proven he can score in this league.  Untapped senior resource.

3.  Minimize Parker Stewart, especially defensively.  If you think he's your defensive stopper, go to a shrink.  If Galloway comes back, Stewart only deserves spot minutes.  You can't stop playing Lander for poor defense and then allow Stewart to give up 30.  Be consistent.

4.  If Trace is doubled, work your wings for shots.  Don't just let X launch.

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 3

Anyone who is ready to give up on Woody is crazy! He is not without fault either.  You can say someone screwed up and not want them gone.  Culture change takes a long time especially when you are trying to change the same players that aren’t use to the culture you are trying to build.  Woody has lost us some games and won us some games and the same can be said for the players.  As they say in Hoosiers “Give the man a chance!” 

• Like 8