Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I love to keep the in state players but I don't think just because they are from the state makes them a better fit for IU.

I guess that’s where I don’t see I2I, the better fit comments?  it’s not the ppg that I’m intrigued about, it’s the toughness, rebounding, def capability, ability to wreck the other teams game by just being better than the guy across from you that I suspect is why the BIG boys are salivating!  Isn’t CAM trying to build the type of team that I just mentioned?  It’s not all about the ppg.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Coach related.

I’m sure Brooks played “some” part in what happened. Could have been handled poorly, and maybe mostly the coach’s fault, but there had to be some responsibility on Brooks’ part. Never heard of a coach just berating a player that is playing hard and doing what he is asked to do.

5 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I’m sure Brooks played “some” part in what happened. Could have been handled poorly, and maybe mostly the coach’s fault, but there had to be some responsibility on Brooks’ part. Never heard of a coach just berating a player that is playing hard and doing what he is asked to do.

Of course, we’re talking about an 18 yr old kid so def prob 2 fold.  With potential of only being on campus 1 yr not really worried about any attitude issues, especially if his goal is the next level.

2 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Of course, we’re talking about an 18 yr old kid so def prob 2 fold.  With potential of only being on campus 1 yr not really worried about any attitude issues, especially if his goal is the next level.

You should be worried about an attitude problem because I don't want a player causing problems if they are only going to be there one year.  It is not worth having a one and done player if they will not buy into the system and only worries about themselves.  Not saying Brooks is like that but I can't believe you said you would not be worried about an attitude problem.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You should be worried about an attitude problem because I don't want a player causing problems if they are only going to be there one year.  It is not worth having a one and done player if they will not buy into the system and only worries about themselves.  Not saying Brooks is like that but I can't believe you said you would not be worried about an attitude problem.

I just have to think that a top talent wouldn’t do anything stupid to derail his chances of a 1st rd pick or better yet a Lotter pick by causing problems?  I would think his camp would mentor him along the way during his brief college career.  I’m with you IF he was to be a cancer then no way but unfortunately we’re not fortune tellers.  Roll the dice this kid is smarter than we all think!

1 minute ago, BornHoosier said:

I just have to think that a top talent wouldn’t do anything stupid to derail his chances of a 1st rd pick or better yet a Lotter pick by causing problems?  I would think his camp would mentor him along the way during his brief college career.  I’m with you IF he was to be a cancer then no way but unfortunately we’re not fortune tellers.  Roll the dice this kid is smarter than we all think!

I remember in 1994 UNC was a defending champion and brought a lot of players back and had two top recruits.  That season they had some problems with the veterans and freshman meshing and ended up losing n the second round.  Also just because you are a top 10 player does not always equate into winning.  The last two top picks in the draft did not even go to the NCAA tournament.

This is Indiana and I bet you their top 2 recruits were not from this State.  In State commits have the extra responsibility to rep the State and if he is playing alongside TJD and RL, I can’t imagine any issues. can’t help but imagine a lineup that has 3 5 star recruits from this very State, has it ever been done before?  Duke, NC, Vill, KS, MS it doesn’t matter who we play because we finally closed our borders and will make College Basketball PAY for all these yrs of stealing our top talent.  In 49 states it’s jist basketball but you can’t tell me how exciting each game would be with these 3 playing for what’s on their chest!  Let’s show these pretenders what Indiana basketball is ALL about.

17 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

This is Indiana and I bet you their top 2 recruits were not from this State.  In State commits have the extra responsibility to rep the State and if he is playing alongside TJD and RL, I can’t imagine any issues. can’t help but imagine a lineup that has 3 5 star recruits from this very State, has it ever been done before?  Duke, NC, Vill, KS, MS it doesn’t matter who we play because we finally closed our borders and will make College Basketball PAY for all these yrs of stealing our top talent.  In 49 states it’s jist basketball but you can’t tell me how exciting each game would be with these 3 playing for what’s on their chest!  Let’s show these pretenders what Indiana basketball is ALL about.

I doubt we would have 3 on the court at the same time from the state unless you really think Romeo will stay 2 years.

15 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Not thinking but Praying!  Some here are convinced RL is not a OAD player esp if the two mentioned recruits pull the trigger. Only time will tell how this all shakes out but there is potential to put IU back on the CB Map.

We haven’t missed yet and recently we received news that IU trails no program in Brooks recruitment. Time will tell of course but as one of the former biggest pessimists on the site I’m not even slightly worried about recruiting anymore. Until we miss on Watford, TJD, and Brooks then I’ll be sitting back with a smile watching it play out. People sleeping on DJ Carton too...certainly seems like a Michigan lock but one of these times, and soon, we’ll be pulling a rabbit out of our hat like all the other blue bloods.

2 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Know nothing about Hunter but I’m waiting to see if Smith can take that leap into stardom that he flashed in some games as a FR?  If top level teams are after KBJ his skill level must be a little above Smith or Hunter.  I choose to side with these top level teams scouting Dept over what we current have.  Both Smith and Hunter will be key components to this team but KBJ can elevate them to serious contenders for a NC and will have no worries about minutes from either.  KBJ has a future at the next level after yr one, please don’t compare 4 star talent to a OAD!  This recruitment is big in so many levels!

So you think a top 10 freshman is always better than a top 50 sophomore or a top 60 junior? I can honestly say my perception is that it wouldnt shock me for any of those to be better than the other in that season. I would be interested to see the data. 

Smith was ranked higher than Morgan, and we saw what type of season Morgan just had. He was certainly better this season than some top ten players. 

I guess I am taking over your former position but I Hope the latter chatter has some legs.  Haven’t even sniffed outside recruits and won’t until the inside ones make their decisions but not impressed with Cartons list to this point.  I’ll take your word that he would be a solid addition to this team.  Isn’t it nice that IU is able to talk big time recruits for what it’s worth?

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

So you think a top 10 freshman is always better than a top 50 sophomore or a top 60 junior? I can honestly say my perception is that it wouldnt shock me for any of those to be better than the other in that season. I would be interested to see the data. 

Smith was ranked higher than Morgan, and we saw what type of season Morgan just had. He was certainly better this season than some top ten players. 

Only diff between top 60 players than top 10 is potential to be Great Early rather than 3-4 yrs of experience.  Your asking for a not so talented player to take the next step in their soph/jr season to becoming a Great player which the odds favor the more talented player in their FR yr.  These are just the odds but I too would like to see actual data to back this up.  Imagine adding a top 10 talent to a team w/ a top 50/60 soph/jr?  

24 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Only diff between top 60 players than top 10 is potential to be Great Early rather than 3-4 yrs of experience.  Your asking for a not so talented player to take the next step in their soph/jr season to becoming a Great player which the odds favor the more talented player in their FR yr.  These are just the odds but I too would like to see actual data to back this up.  Imagine adding a top 10 talent to a team w/ a top 50/60 soph/jr?  

I mean, I want Brooks more than anyone else in next years class, but I'm just not convinced if we miss on him we are in trouble. 

A lineup of Green, Hunter, Brooks, Smith and TJD makes me salivate.  

11 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I mean, I want Brooks more than anyone else in next years class, but I'm just not convinced if we miss on him we are in trouble. 

A lineup of Green, Hunter, Brooks, Smith and TJD makes me salivate.  

Same here. That lineup you listed has all sorts of options. 

14 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I guess another thing I am a little leery about Brooks is that he left the team during the season so to me that is a red flag.

Just to clear this up. Brooks addressed the team right after Friday night game, apologized, took responsibility,etc........the Coach/Adult in this situation didn't hear what he wanted to hear and when KB sought him out before Saturday's game the coach was nowhere to be found. Coach basically either hid or asked KB to leave. 

Truth usually is in the middle but in this instance it sounds like to me the kid made a mistake, owned up to it...and the Coach/Adult decided to take this to another level. 

Given some of the coaches I've witnessed in this state and the attitudes they carry...all I'm saying is not lets put this one completely on the player. Terms like red flag assume it's all players fault to me. 

33 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just to clear this up. Brooks addressed the team right after Friday night game, apologized, took responsibility,etc........the Coach/Adult in this situation didn't hear what he wanted to hear and when KB sought him out before Saturday's game the coach was nowhere to be found. Coach basically either hid or asked KB to leave. 

Truth usually is in the middle but in this instance it sounds like to me the kid made a mistake, owned up to it...and the Coach/Adult decided to take this to another level. 

Given some of the coaches I've witnessed in this state and the attitudes they carry...all I'm saying is not lets put this one completely on the player. Terms like red flag assume it's all players fault to me. 

And generally it's worse in other states from my experiences in aau 

I do not know what the "incident" is with KB, but if it was a mistake and not a pattern, I am not worried.  Everybody makes a mistake.  I am all for landing KB.

If we land TJD, KB, and Newman, the road trip for our Indiana recruits (for the 2018 and 2019 classes) would be: Google maps of IU recruits.

That would be ridiculous!  (I am not favoring Newman over Franklin per se, just this is an optimal geographic coverage.)

46 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

And I wasn’t criticizing the kid bc I don’t know what happened. I was just stating that there had to be some blame on both sides based on the result. But if he did what you say he did as far as owning up, then I can respect that and chalk it up to a mistake. Takes a lot for a kid that age to stand up in front of peers and say I made a mistake. 

24 minutes ago, btownqb said:

And generally it's worse in other states from my experiences in aau 

Not to quote Johnny Dangerously i.e Joe Piscopo...but I went to an aau tourney once. Just once. Amazed at what I saw from coaches/parents. I knew at that time I was making a short sighted decision but I knew I couldn't go back.

10 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

And I wasn’t criticizing the kid bc I don’t know what happened. I was just stating that there had to be some blame on both sides based on the result. But if he did what you say he did as far as owning up, then I can respect that and chalk it up to a mistake. Takes a lot for a kid that age to stand up in front of peers and say I made a mistake. 

Just to clear up my post...I was criticizing you but I've read here and elsewhere several posts about fans saying KB has or had an issue. I just thought in fairness we or I should post what happened up there. Several posters on here who are more in the loop....especially in the Fort. If there is an issue I'd love to hear from them.

Of course I've dug my heels in the sand as it relates to KB. I've been wanting him since last summer when he was only a top 50 guy. Before TJD and Watford. So my opinions are always going to be a little biased. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierdave said:

Suprised no one has mentioned that a CB pick for UK from a UK insider was made today. He had predicted MSU originally, also. 

I’m hoping this changes when it’s close to decision time... perhaps they think they’ll get him just bc he’s a 5 star and they’re mentioned... I think he’s ours to lose 

Archived