Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

1 hour ago, ADegenerate said:

We’re 6-17 since I started really being aware of what was going on around 92-93. It hasn’t been much of a rivalry for me. Especially watching the games growing up with my group of 10-15 friends with 3/4 being Uk fans. The majority of that was dominated by UK during my teen years where banter is at its peak.

Well, be aware of us older folk.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, rico said:

Well, be aware of us older folk.

Touché touché. I should probably just recuse myself from the discussion because the series is pretty close to even in totality and if we renew then I’m positive it’ll go back to a true rivalry. Us folks approaching middle age had it pretty rough supporting IU. You old guys got to have all the fun!

6 hours ago, rico said:

I got 18 years on you....and IU/UK is a big time rivalry.

This is a multi-faceted thing.  Long time fans know what it is.  The 30 to 40 year-olds may not see it this way.  That age range only has to look at 12-10-11 to know what it can be.  Espn knows this is a rivalry as good as any as does the NCAA ( Espy award and tournament draw ). A few well placed flames and the inferno that was this rivalry will return.  At this point, it seems only Kentucky has anything to lose if this rivalry renews.  If it does, perhaps the most important demographic will see it as it should be - recruits.

I would say it used to be a big Rivalry.  Not anymore.  We take it much more serious than they do.  The Wat Shot took care of that for us :), Cal wanted nothing to do with us after that.  When i was young i remember hating UK and how much we looked forward to the game.  The older i got (The 90's into the 2000s) UK tended to own us in the games but the rivalry was still there. Over the last 10 years, meh, it was nice to play and beat them in the tourney but i could really care less if we played them any longer.

9 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

i got carded today. I’m pretending she thought I was under 21.

Must have been checking eligibility for the senior discount B|

It's been 6 months since I've turned 50 and I have yet to get a senior discount on anything :S

57 minutes ago, Reacher said:

It's been 6 months since I've turned 50 and I have yet to get a senior discount on anything :S

Got you all beat as my wife and I go out to eat and get the "early bird" specials wearing our dark wrap-around sunglasses....... :D

13 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

Touché touché. I should probably just recuse myself from the discussion because the series is pretty close to even in totality and if we renew then I’m positive it’ll go back to a true rivalry. Us folks approaching middle age had it pretty rough supporting IU. You old guys got to have all the fun!

December 20th, 1988.  IU 75 UK 52......at Rupp.  I still get a "chubby" thinking about it!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, Reacher said:

The day my mother turned 50, she went to the bank. The young teller looked at her, and asked her if she was aware of their senior citizen discounts. 

She changed banks....

2 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

As my kids used to say....  "TMI"!!

LOL.  Well we can talk about the "Wat shot" all we want.  But that night, we went into their place and tossed them around like rag dolls.  Knight called off the wolves.  Still getting a chubby thinking about it.

23 minutes ago, rico said:

LOL.  Well we can talk about the "Wat shot" all we want.  But that night, we went into their place and tossed them around like rag dolls.  Knight called off the wolves.  Still getting a chubby thinking about it.

One of the things that’ll probably be forgotten by most is the ramifications of the Wat Shot. That UK squad almost certaintly would have went 40-0 if Watford misses that. I highly doubt they lose to Vandy and they probably would have won the tournament despite the pressure. They might have even played better as that team was on a mission. They played out of their minds vs us in the tournament and we still had a fair chance in that game.

6 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

One of the things that’ll probably be forgotten by most is the ramifications of the Wat Shot. That UK squad almost certaintly would have went 40-0 if Watford misses that. I highly doubt they lose to Vandy and they probably would have won the tournament despite the pressure. They might have even played better as that team was on a mission. They played out of their minds vs us in the tournament and we still had a fair chance in that game.

Absolutely out of their minds.  I don't have it in front of me but their free throw percentage in that game was just off the charts, IRRC.

35 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

35-37 from the stripe that night.  I believe they were about 70% on the season.

I thought it was something stupid like that.  Had they shot a normal percentage, that would have been a very, very close game and perhaps a different outcome.

3 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

35-37 from the stripe that night.  I believe they were about 70% on the season.

I was at that game and still remember it like it was yesterday. I don’t like blaming officials but it was atrocious. Kentucky players were jumping into our defenders, who were vertical, and getting the calls. Even with that going on, IU was in it up until about 6 minutes to go when VO fouled out. IU didn’t have anyone that could guard Teague after that.

We walked out of the stadium after the game and it was crazy. At least a half dozen IU fans getting cuffed for fighting. The 4 of us in our group got on the subway system there in Atlanta and were the only people in the car wearing red. None of the UK fans said a word the entire trip. That fan base is legitimately afraid us.

5 hours ago, Bigred3588 said:

I was at that game and still remember it like it was yesterday. I don’t like blaming officials but it was atrocious. Kentucky players were jumping into our defenders, who were vertical, and getting the calls. Even with that going on, IU was in it up until about 6 minutes to go when VO fouled out. IU didn’t have anyone that could guard Teague after that.

We walked out of the stadium after the game and it was crazy. At least a half dozen IU fans getting cuffed for fighting. The 4 of us in our group got on the subway system there in Atlanta and were the only people in the car wearing red. None of the UK fans said a word the entire trip. That fan base is legitimately afraid us.

Pardon me for being a contrarian, but, first, I doubt it. I doubt the average UK fan has fear in his or her heart when considering another person wearing an IU hat or shirt.

Also: who cares? Seriously, why does it matter on any level that we make another fan base scared? 

5 hours ago, zerawkid said:

Pardon me for being a contrarian, but, first, I doubt it. I doubt the average UK fan has fear in his or her heart when considering another person wearing an IU hat or shirt.

Also: who cares? Seriously, why does it matter on any level that we make another fan base scared? 

Wasn’t saying it matters. I included that part of the story because it was the year UK fans were crying about how they were treated in Bloomington and saying it wasn’t safe to continue the series.

49 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

Wasn’t saying it matters. I included that part of the story because it was the year UK fans were crying about how they were treated in Bloomington and saying it wasn’t safe to continue the series.

Fair enough. You mentioned it, so I thought you had a feeling about it.

On 6/7/2018 at 12:33 PM, Indykev said:

This does not sound like a comment that would come from a kid who is a problem in the locker room. After just getting cut from this team Keion had enough class to congratulate and encourage his friend.

For all the posts in this thread questioning KBJ's character, surprised that more on here haven't acknowledged that those opinions have yet to be substantiated, yet examples like this Tweet suggest that his purported issues may well be overblown 

16 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

This does not sound like a comment that would come from a kid who is a problem in the locker room. After just getting cut from this team Keion had enough class to congratulate and encourage his friend.

For all the posts in this thread questioning KBJ's character, surprised that more on here haven't acknowledged that those opinions have yet to be substantiated, yet examples like this Tweet suggest that his purported issues may well be overblown 

Sadly, it’s predictable sour grapes. A kid that is a really terrific get has been seemingly flirting with our program, we feel confident about landing him. Then he gets love from Kentucky (and other top flight programs) and seems to be considering multiple offers (why would any kid do this!?), and all of a sudden rumors about his “character” that abound. Lots of conjecture and parsing ensue. Some even claim they have an inside track on why the recruit in question and/or his family might be potentially caustic. 

Or, my personal favorite, “If a kid doesn’t know they want to be a Hoosier immediately, I don’t want him here!” As if kids don’t deserve the oppportunity to do due diligence and weigh their options.

These comments and related discourse are, as I mentioned, as predictable as a cup of coffee in the morning. I don’t imagine they are exclusive to our fan base, but, nonetheless, they do persist and they are almost always ridiculously inane. 

2 hours ago, zerawkid said:

Sadly, it’s predictable sour grapes. A kid that is a really terrific get has been seemingly flirting with our program, we feel confident about landing him. Then he gets love from Kentucky (and other top flight programs) and seems to be considering multiple offers (why would any kid do this!?), and all of a sudden rumors about his “character” that abound. Lots of conjecture and parsing ensue. Some even claim they have an inside track on why the recruit in question and/or his family might be potentially caustic. 

Or, my personal favorite, “If a kid doesn’t know they want to be a Hoosier immediately, I don’t want him here!” As if kids don’t deserve the oppportunity to do due diligence and weigh their options.

These comments and related discourse are, as I mentioned, as predictable as a cup of coffee in the morning. I don’t imagine they are exclusive to our fan base, but, nonetheless, they do persist and they are almost always ridiculously inane. 

Great post. I sometimes read the posts you are referencing as adults who don't know how to properly make a decision (just talking about the process of decision making) so they get mad that kids are actually doing exactly what and reasonable person would do.

I love IU, but if you told me right now to pick where I was going to play college basketball IU is not the only school I would consider. 

Archived