NBA Thread

6 hours ago, Bedford1432 said:

I have not watched the nba in years and  whatever lebron worth hundreds of millions  can continue his trashy twitter posts.  He acts like people will be devestated without the nba.lol its just a game.

I like the NBA a lot but I haven't heard anything out of Lebron about real solutions.  He is not a bad person and does well with charity and community stuff  because he has the money to do so.  Good for him. Outside of basketball,   I think he would be a terrible leader in the political world.   I would never be a follower of him.   In that kind of environment, give me someone like Matthew Brogdon if you had to pick an NBA player.     

6 minutes ago, rico said:

These guys don't have a clue IMHO. There was a time when I was an avid Hockey fan.  Attending as many games as I could, depending on my work schedule.  Then.... the players and the league decided to cancel an entire season.  I left, and have never gone back.  And I am here to say, I don't miss it.  I see many fans doing the same now.

....a quick response to the question posed: how is the boycott effective? 

It's always going to be hard to quantify what impact these protests have. BLM, whether you agree with it or not is a movement that has grown though. Kaepernick's protests, whether you agree with it or not, to some degree have helped that movement gain publicity. The NBA and other sports boycott, whether you agree with their stand or not, have broughten publicity to BLM. 

Again, I'm not here to argue about how they bring attention to their movement or if you think it's right or wrong, rather that it has been effective in getting their voices heard in the sense that a light is shined almost every time an unjustified police killing of an African-American happens now, or the fact that BLM protests happened in almost every major city after George Floyd. If the movement's efforts weren't effective, we wouldn't not be talking about it right now....it's as simple as that. At the very least they are inciting conversation, the challenge is keeping that conversation meaningful and civil.

That said, I'll attempt to put my money where my mouth is: Completely removing race from the equation, there are systematic problems in the police force and the justice system that need to be fixed. I think it's fair to say that there needs to be better training for police officers, but at the same time we can't overlook that the police can not possibly be trained for everything they're asked to handle. It's incredibly unfair to them. I've heard both activists and Police union reps agree on that one point. Also, there has been compromise on the belief that resources and expertise need to be reallocated, which will lead to safer and more efficient policing. Major change is hard, but it seems we have a semblance of 'middle ground' on this issue. The question is, can we build upon it? 

image.png.c323ed832e5a215b2cfea02f587bf420.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Food for thought. I turn on the NBA game I see BLM logos, special jerseys players taking a knee. I can't avoid nor miss the message being made. But boycotting I can watch Netflix not really miss the games because we learned how to survive without it, life better with but... stay away from the news and bury my head in the sand and act like everything is great because it does not affect me. IMO the games being played  will have more impact than the boycott 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Food for thought. I turn on the NBA game I see BLM logos, special jerseys players taking a knee. I can't avoid nor miss the message being made. But boycotting I can watch Netflix not really miss the games because we learned how to survive without it, life better with but... stay away from the news and bury my head in the sand and act like everything is great because it does not affect me. IMO the games being played  will have more impact than the boycott 

That's certainly a fair perspective and I'm sure you aren't unique in that you can easily ignore things now.

On the other hand, the NBA (and other sports) completely grabbed the news cycle by having a workers strike and if they continue with the strike, they will continue to hold headlines. We know that workers strikes do work, we've seen it time and time again in our country. By striking, the players can force the hands of the governors (billionaires) all over the country to do more than just pay lip service to their cause. It's one thing to get used to no sports because of a pandemic, it's another thing to get used to no sports because of systemic racism.

To be clear, I'm not commenting on systemic racism or my thoughts on what changes do or do not need to be made, just on what the players are doing and their message. Please, let's not debate rather or not systemic racism is real and problematic; it's clearly the position of the players that it is and that is what is driving their decision making. 

• Like 2

Just now, KoB2011 said:

That's certainly a fair perspective and I'm sure you aren't unique in that you can easily ignore things now.

On the other hand, the NBA (and other sports) completely grabbed the news cycle by having a workers strike and if they continue with the strike, they will continue to hold headlines. We know that workers strikes do work, we've seen it time and time again in our country. By striking, the players can force the hands of the governors (billionaires) all over the country to do more than just pay lip service to their cause. It's one thing to get used to no sports because of a pandemic, it's another thing to get used to no sports because of systemic racism.

To be clear, I'm not commenting on systemic racism or my thoughts on what changes do or do not need to be made, just on what the players are doing and their message. Please, let's not debate rather or not systemic racism is real and problematic; it's clearly the position of the players that it is and that is what is driving their decision making. 

OR.....the "strikers" all lose their jobs...

3 minutes ago, rico said:

OR.....the "strikers" all lose their jobs...

That's always possible, though, I'm always confused why people root for that outcome or think it is a good thing. Shouldn't we all (and I'm making assumptions none of us are amongst the elite or what would be considered truly wealthy) be rooting for the workers in situations like this? It's like we are rooting against ourselves. 

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I am not here to debate that I ensure you of that. As a basketball fan I want games as a citizen of the greatest country in the world I want change. I am torn on if this work stoppage does help or not. I agree with your points and also if the players will go out in their communities and work with local agencies and the grassroots organizations I think they can be a huge voice that can start to make the changes that are necessary. If they only resort to social media  and just not playing then I am not sure they will impact much. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

That's always possible, though, I'm always confused why people root for that outcome or think it is a good thing. Shouldn't we all (and I'm making assumptions none of us are amongst the elite or what would be considered truly wealthy) be rooting for the workers in situations like this? It's like we are rooting against ourselves. 

Are NBA players deemed "blue collar" workers?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Under normal circumstances then yes but its hard to view either side  as a typical worker/boss when you have Multi millionaires fighting with multi billionaires.

give me the people striking that might not make mortgage because of it or be able to food on the table their loss resonates more with the majority of America

Edited by Billingsley99

3 minutes ago, rico said:

NBA "striking" , to me, is like Hollywood going on strike.  Don't care.

They're about to find out just how essential they are. I'm not saying I know the answer to that question but I am watching that angle with more interest than the actual games themselves.

Someone mentioned baseball as an apt analogy and I think that's possible although baseball's strike was purely about money.  It took years for baseball to crawl out of that hole.  Personally, my interest in the NBA before this season was hit and miss. In basketball and football, unlike baseball, I have more interest in the college game.  Assuming the NBA is done for the season, it will be interesting to see how many fans return for next season.

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

They're about to find out just how essential they are. I'm not saying I know the answer to that question but I am watching that angle with more interest than the actual games themselves.

Someone mentioned baseball as an apt analogy and I think that's possible although baseball's strike was purely about money.  It took years for baseball to crawl out of that hole.  Personally, my interest in the NBA before this season was hit and miss. In basketball and football, unlike baseball, I have more interest in the college game.  Assuming the NBA is done for the season, it will be interesting to see how many fans return for next season.

It will definitely be interesting to see how that plays out; I don't think anyone can really know the answer until it happens. 

I do think basketball is fairly unique compared to football in that I think there is less overlap in college basketball fans and NBA fans as opposed to college football fans and NFL fans. I think you can see in the ratings with football that you have a large group of people who watch a lot of both, where as in basketball with the ratings I think the group who watches a lot of both levels is smaller. I think the greatest area of viewership loss for the NBA from anything will be from fans that watch mostly college basketball and tune in for things like the playoffs and big games, the fans who regularly watch the NBA I don't see going away. My take is somewhat data-driven looking at ratings, and somewhat anecdotal. I could be completely wrong. 

37 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Take your time to get into college baseball more. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. 

• Like 2

Well Woj if Espn reporting that play will resume but not today. I wonder what actions and or changes the players were promised to resume play. If any at all. 

I also wonder how many of these guys just mentally broke. I know they are in a 5 star resort and all that but not being able to see your family not being able to go anywhere but around the bubble I wonder if that turned out to be harder than these guys thought it would be and everything that’s going on pandemic and otherwise and they just mentally broke. 

I don’t know maybe that’s just a soft way of thinking. Just a thought that crossed my mind. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Take your time to get into college baseball more. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. 

I do enjoy it more than I used to. The older I get, the more I seem to lean toward watching players who play more for the love of the game than for money.

• Like 2

Make of this what you will:

"Yahoo Sports reported that LeBron James changed his view on the rest of the NBA season Wednesday night, opting to continue because it was in the players’ best interest."

He was also told the NBA could fine teams up to $5 million per team per game, and that sponsors could withhold individual players' endorsement money for breach of contract.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Make of this what you will:

"Yahoo Sports reported that LeBron James changed his view on the rest of the NBA season Wednesday night, opting to continue because it was in the players’ best interest."

He was also told the NBA could fine teams up to $5 million per team per game, and that sponsors could withhold individual players' endorsement money for breach of contract.

Awwwww, they are worried about money?  Huh, who would have thought?

• Like 5