NBA Thread

19 hours ago, dgambill said:

You want Gordon that bad?? He isn’t the Heyward that left Utah...one can only wonder how good he would have been but that player has long sailed. Maybe we can throw in a Lance Stevenson game jersey too...I just don’t get the love affair.

You must not have watched the Celtics much this season. Hayward was pretty close to 100% this year. Last year, yes he was bad but it was his first year back and the whole team had to deal with the Kyrie saga. This year Hayward has been great, it's just that he's basically the 4th option so he doesn't get the touches he would normally. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

You must not have watched the Celtics much this season. Hayward was pretty close to 100% this year. Last year, yes he was bad but it was his first year back and the whole team had to deal with the Kyrie saga. This year Hayward has been great, it's just that he's basically the 4th option so he doesn't get the touches he would normally. 

I'm not sure what you'd do to make the salaries match, but if the Celtics wanted to trade the Pacers Hayward the Pacers would be crazy to not take it. Probably have to throw in Lamb, too, but I'm fine with that. 

Hayward is clearly the best player in that trade, but Turner is younger and kinda fits a need for the Celts. It would give them a rim protector that can keep the spacing they play with on offense. The C's have so much guard and wing depth that it's probably a net gain for them, and it definitely is for the Pacers, but I think it is far from the best value the C's can get for Hayward. 

20 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm not sure what you'd do to make the salaries match, but if the Celtics wanted to trade the Pacers Hayward the Pacers would be crazy to not take it. Probably have to throw in Lamb, too, but I'm fine with that. 

Hayward is clearly the best player in that trade, but Turner is younger and kinda fits a need for the Celts. It would give them a rim protector that can keep the spacing they play with on offense. The C's have so much guard and wing depth that it's probably a net gain for them, and it definitely is for the Pacers, but I think it is far from the best value the C's can get for Hayward. 

I agree. It's just so hard to gauge what Hayward's value is on the market since the injury. Like I said, I'm not a big Turner fan and would probably be disappointed with that swap, but the Celtics are going to need to improve at the 5 to make the leap to legit eastern conference favorite, they're going to have to figure out paying everyone, and at some point in the next year or two they'll either need to bet on Langford sliding into Haywards role or move him if he has some value. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I agree. It's just so hard to gauge what Hayward's value is on the market since the injury. Like I said, I'm not a big Turner fan and would probably be disappointed with that swap, but the Celtics are going to need to improve at the 5 to make the leap to legit eastern conference favorite, they're going to have to figure out paying everyone, and at some point in the next year or two they'll either need to bet on Langford sliding into Haywards role or move him if he has some value. 

Interesting point on Romeo. His enemy remains his health. Man I hope to see him healthy, consistently, soon. I think his ceiling is high, don’t think he’s scratched it yet, keeps getting slowed by injury. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Interesting point on Romeo. His enemy remains his health. Man I hope to see him healthy, consistently, soon. I think his ceiling is high, don’t think he’s scratched it yet, keeps getting slowed by injury. 

To be honest, I'm mixed on his ceiling. I really like him, of course always root for iU guys, and was/am so excited the Celtics drafted him. With that said, it's not just the injuries that worry me. For a rookie, he was pretty fantastic defensively, but he's going to have to make some big improvements to his game to really reach his ceiling as a player at this level. They're all things he certainly capable of since he's naturally gifted and a hard worker, but he has to get bigger and he has to make huge improvements in ball handling and shooting and he needs to be more active and assertive. 

It seems so odd, because scoring/offense should not be a problem for him, but that's actually the end I worry about for him. Like at IU, he basically would just go stand in the corner and do nothing offensively. He literally might be in a game for 7+ minutes and never once touch the ball. Now you could say that's the Celtics offense and he's not supposed to get touches as a rookie playing with Kemba, Hayward, Brown and Tatum, but then guys like Ojeleye and Devonte Green would come in for Langford and they're flying all over the place, active in the offense and making things happen (good and bad, but at least they're active). Langford would just stand there. 

I could see him developing into a full-time starter that averages double-digits, but I could just as easily see him as a guy that bounces around as a hard working, smart player off the bench that never develops a consistent jumper and just always shows flashes but never enough.

15 minutes ago, BGleas said:

To be honest, I'm mixed on his ceiling. I really like him, of course always root for iU guys, and was/am so excited the Celtics drafted him. With that said, it's not just the injuries that worry me. For a rookie, he was pretty fantastic defensively, but he's going to have to make some big improvements to his game to really reach his ceiling as a player at this level. They're all things he certainly capable of since he's naturally gifted and a hard worker, but he has to get bigger and he has to make huge improvements in ball handling and shooting and he needs to be more active and assertive. 

It seems so odd, because scoring/offense should not be a problem for him, but that's actually the end I worry about for him. Like at IU, he basically would just go stand in the corner and do nothing offensively. He literally might be in a game for 7+ minutes and never once touch the ball. Now you could say that's the Celtics offense and he's not supposed to get touches as a rookie playing with Kemba, Hayward, Brown and Tatum, but then guys like Ojeleye and Devonte Green would come in for Langford and they're flying all over the place, active in the offense and making things happen (good and bad, but at least they're active). Langford would just stand there. 

I could see him developing into a full-time starter that averages double-digits, but I could just as easily see him as a guy that bounces around as a hard working, smart player off the bench that never develops a consistent jumper and just always shows flashes but never enough.

Your perception is fair and it seems possible he could go either direction — but I think it’s really hard to gauge him on a rookie season repeatedly marred by injury and playing at first sparingly behind all-star level vets on a playoff team. Stevens did begin to work him in more, so he’s earning that, but even now he comes in and almost immediately has another hand injury. His handle getting to the rim had been very good at times — that elite and smooth downhill push to the basket. How much of his offensive limitations this season has been injury related? Don’t think we know. That was the same at IU. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Your perception is fair and it seems possible he could go either direction — but I think it’s really hard to gauge him on a rookie season repeatedly marred by injury and playing at first sparingly behind all-star level vets on a playoff team. Stevens did begin to work him in more, so he’s earning that, but even now he comes in and almost immediately has another hand injury. His handle getting to the rim had been very good at times — that elite and smooth downhill push to the basket. How much of his offensive limitations this season has been injury related? Don’t think we know. That was the same at IU. 

A couple things are clear, the organization loves him, Stevens loves him and his teammates rave about him. Those are always good things and even more so for a well run organization like the Celtics. I think they see how hard he works, what kind of person he is, and the high ceiling that is there.

He just needs to spend the summer in the lab getting stronger, shooting a ton and working on his handles, primarily his left hand. He's certainly capable of all of that. I just again worry about a guy that isn't naturally active offensively, and also a guy that had so much success scoring at a young age but has glaring weaknesses like shooting and using his left. 

I am really high on Langford. You should see our house (me and the kids) every time we watch a Celtics game and he enters. We go crazy. Just in analyzing his game, there are concerns. My biggest concern is still his activity. I've watched him closely for two years now, in different situations (as an offensive leader at IU and as a rookie on a stacked team in Boston), and he so often just stands around waiting for things to come to him. 

I worry about that aggressiveness. I watched other rookies around the league, and granted every situation is different, but a guy like Tyler Herro as a rookie didn't stand in the corner he asserted himself. There's other examples. I understand the injuries and that of course legitimate. 

Again, I love Langford, am so excited he's a Celtic and I agree with all of the upside. Just analyzing his game so far and what he needs to improve on. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I always liked those Blazers teams as a kid because I was the anti-Jordan kid. They’ve been hit hard, I believe that’s Kevin Duckworth, Jerome Kersey and now Clifford Robinson all gone too soon. 

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

I don't know, @KoB2011, I thought the officiating was fantastic! :coffee:

I mean I did think the first quarter was pretty rough, but the rest the game I didn't and the C's were clearly the better team today. I wouldn't feel bad about that win. Should be a great series though, I don't expect Toronto to shoot as poorly as they did today the rest of the series. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 1

There's also rumors out there that the Pacers locker room was a pretty bad place towards the end of the season. You have to wonder if that was because of McMillan or possibly because of Oladipo and his antics of sitting out and then actually playing. Then it's also possible it was something else all together. 

11 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I mean I did think the first quarter was pretty rough, but the rest the game I didn't and the C's were clearly the better team today. I wouldn't feel bad about that win. Should be a great series though, I don't expect Toronto to shoot as poorly as they did today the rest of the series. 

C's are playing great, but also think Toronto laid an egg in that first game. Have to think this will be a great series -- will be surprised if it isn't. Won't be surprised to see Boston advance, they are playing great ball right now and Toronto's lead guard is hobbled. But also wouldn't be surprised to see Toronto turn it around. This is a series I've looked forward to.

3 hours ago, DC2345 said:

I saw a hypathetical trade the Pacers could make involving Oladipo. 

Hawks: Oladipo

Pacers: Dedmon, Huerter, Reddish, and the 6th overall pick

If the Pacers could get a return like that with young upside then I'd help Oladipo pack myself.

On YouTube this Laker guy thought this trade for Vic would be good but not even close.

Lakers get- VO

Pacers gets- Kuzman, Danny Green, Caruso

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

^^ Well that's a lot of speculation. Imo, this talk of trading away Vic, and for no star, is once again the equivalent of shooting yourself in the foot. The P's front office generally isn't that bad, which is a good thing.

You won't get a star for Vic and you'll also end up with nothing when he leaves. If you can get 2 rotation players, a young player that could develop, and a top end lottery pick then you take it. That pick could turn into a star. Also the Pacers only hope to get a player that turns into a star is as a rookie otherwise they'll just leave 2 or 3 years. 

22 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

You won't get a star for Vic and you'll also end up with nothing when he leaves. If you can get 2 rotation players, a young player that could develop, and a top end lottery pick then you take it. That pick could turn into a star. Also the Pacers only hope to get a player that turns into a star is as a rookie otherwise they'll just leave 2 or 3 years. 

Disagree and think you're speculating on Vic's condition, his intentions on whether to stay with the Pacers, and the front office's / Pritchard's ability to bring in talent. Obviously, Pritchard got Vic and Sabonis in the trade/departure of PG.

The P's don't need 2 rotation players and a young player to develop. They have those. If they're ever to get back into contention status, they need to keep building around Vic, or another player at his level. Otherwise, you maintain mediocrity.