NBA Thread

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This Denver-Utah Game 7 is an exciting one. Not really well played by any means, but a 1-pt game under a minute to go. 

Just turned it on and saw the score and thought it was the third quarter but there is 30 seconds left in the game.  I thought we were back to the 80's with a score of 80-78 late in the 4th.  What is surprising is that Murray and Mitchell has been scoring 40 plus points themselves in this series

Edited by IU Scott

Watching the end of OKC and the Rockets and I have never seen so much flopping I'm my life. Been hard to watch this game because on every play some one is complaining to the refs.  Billy Donovan did a great job to get this team to a game 7. That roster is not that good and to have them compete at this level is very good.

On 9/1/2020 at 10:15 PM, Hoosierhoopster said:

Mavs are extremely well positioned going forward, at least if Porzingis can stay healthy, they have assets etc and can add another high level third player to the mix. Doncic is like the next Bird 

That is the goal.  I think they are already shopping the 18th pick.  The drop from KP to THJ is pretty big. Their third star is Rick Carlisle and Nellie Jr. is really good at making trades.  Unfortunately most of the trades he makes are bail out trades reacting to a failed FA chase.   IMO, there will be quite a few team shaking things up so if he is proactive in working trades from the beginning the FA/trade period they can probably make a decent deal.   I hoe the Pels decide to break up the PG duo of Jrue/Lonzo.  I'd take either. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Steve Nash to be named head coach of Brooklyn Nets. Pardon my ignorance. Where has he been coaching at?

He may have ties to Marks.  Weren't they both part of GS around the same time. I think it crazy they didn't give Vaughn the job.  Should the Pacers look at him?

I thought Brooklyn was stalling to get a shot at Billy D. who is NY East Coast guy. Billy is now a FA coach.  Maybe he didn't want to deal with Kyrie and Durant bolted on him once.  I think he has nice roster of young players if he stays in OKC.  Last years draft I clamored for the Mavs to take dort in Round 2 on the Mavs forum. Amazing OKC got him as an UDFA.  The Mavs took Isiah Roby who I like but he now on OKC because of the CAuley-Stein trade. Bazley also looks like he is going to be really good.   

Billy D may have a good hold on the housing market in Indiana. LOL.  Wonder if Philly may come after him.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

That is the goal.  I think they are already shopping the 18th pick.  The drop from KP to THJ is pretty big. Their third star is Rick Carlisle and Nellie Jr. is really good at making trades.  Unfortunately most of the trades he makes are bail out trades reacting to a failed FA chase.   IMO, there will be quite a few team shaking things up so if he is proactive in working trades from the beginning the FA/trade period they can probably make a decent deal.   I hoe the Pels decide to break up the PG duo of Jrue/Lonzo.  I'd take either. 

In all seriousness, the Mavs could well end up one of the top teams in the West and soon. Porzingis’s durability is key, but if he stays healthy and they get that third player that is at a big 3 or close contributing level, they’re right there 

3 hours ago, cybergates said:

Steve Nash hired to coach Nets. Out of left field but should be interesting. Dynamic between him and Kyrie will be one to watch.

I didn’t see that one coming, really interesting 

Edit -- So some of the dialogue out there now is whether this will look more like GS's hire of Kerr (with Gentry) or the Nets prior hire of Jason Kidd (which bombed) -- like Nash, neither had prior HC experience. Seems more like Kerr's situation, as Nash has the support of a superstar and a star player both in their primes (and Nash worked directly with Durant in GS), and young and up and coming, talented players, whereas Kidd had aging players in a then Nets' team without a good foundation, let alone vision. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

It was baffling to me that when things broke down Adams ran to the ball instead of the rim.... if he runs to the rim and SGA throws a good pass they had a really good chance to tie it with Tucker on him. 

Yep and the announcer was anticipating just that. They could've been using Adams as a diversion but then should've hit someone else running to the basket or a 3-point shooter. End of game breakdown.

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yep and the announcer was anticipating just that. They could've been using Adams as a diversion but then should've hit someone else running to the basket or a 3-point shooter. End of game breakdown.

It was just amazing that they had 3 chances and that was the best they could get. 

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

It was just amazing that they had 3 chances and that was the best they could get. 

Both Game 7’s we’re really exciting! Not really well played, but definitely exciting. 

The funny thing to me last night was I personally am not a fan of Westbrook, Harden or Paul. All three are great players, but I think when it’s winning time, I don’t really want them as the leaders on my team. So it was funny to see all three of them shrink in the moment. 

As usual, Harden laid an egg in a big game, Westbrook as usual took bad shots down the stretch and Chris Paul basically ran from the ball the last two+ possessions for OKC. 

As an opposing fan, Kyle Lowery is insufferable. What a whiny little cry baby. Dude complains and yells at the refs when he’s not even involved in the plays, complains even when he gets the call, and of course the constant flailing and flopping. 

It’s tough to watch when you’re emotionally invested. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

As an opposing fan, Kyle Lowery is insufferable. What a whiny little cry baby. Dude complains and yells at the refs when he’s not even involved in the plays, complains even when he gets the call, and of course the constant flailing and flopping. 

It’s tough to watch when you’re emotionally invested. 

Yeah there are a few players I feel that way about. Can’t stand Harden for similar reasons. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

Both Game 7’s we’re really exciting! Not really well played, but definitely exciting. 

The funny thing to me last night was I personally am not a fan of Westbrook, Harden or Paul. All three are great players, but I think when it’s winning time, I don’t really want them as the leaders on my team. So it was funny to see all three of them shrink in the moment. 

As usual, Harden laid an egg in a big game, Westbrook as usual took bad shots down the stretch and Chris Paul basically ran from the ball the last two+ possessions for OKC. 

I was really pulling for Houston because of  Gordon but it’s so hard for me to root for Harden or Westbrook because of how they play sometimes. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

Wow what a shot by OG. Quick release. Sorry BG, that’s a tough one. 

It’s all good. OG made a tough shot. With that said, I’m a huge Brad Stevens fan and I think it’s insane he hasn’t won a COY yet, but I really thought he played that last possession poorly. I don’t think you put Taco or his teammates in that position since nobody is used to him being on the court, and I also don’t think you play zone there. 

With .5 left I would have gone man-to-man switching everything with a rover in the middle of the court in case someone got lost. I get the thought process with a zone, but as an offensive player I like going against a zone in that spot. I know I can find a seam somewhere, especially with a defender out of the play guarding the inbounded. 

Just my opinion, it still took a heck of a shot by OG to win that. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

I was really pulling for Houston because of  Gordon but it’s so hard for me to root for Harden or Westbrook because of how they play sometimes. 

Houston-LA will be tough for me to watch. Can’t stand the stars on either team and of course I hate the Lakers. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2