NBA Thread

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

And, GS without Klay.

Honestly it's a lot more than that.

Klay coming back is not going to make GS a contender again, they have no bench, they are completely lacking on D, I mean their D is awful, not just bad, it's awful. This is not the same GS team, at all, and that includes when Klay gets back. They may make the playoffs - marginally. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

A diuretic and no traces of any other banned substance (the only reason, iirc, why diuretics are banned is the potential for masking)? 

If that holds up it could be rescinded 

Yes. He admitted to taking it so it will depend on what he was using it for. I'm assuming to drop water weight etc (i'll let the medical people on here say for certain) but most people take it in collaboration with their other medications that tend to cause water retention. If he was just using it as to cut some weight headed back into the season that is one thing but obviously people use it to wash out their system for other things too. He seemed pretty contrite...maybe he will save himself a few games but i'm sure he misses some time. Sucks because he is on my fantasy team and won't be eligible for an IR so it is hurting me a lot lol.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Honestly it's a lot more than that.

Klay coming back is not going to make GS a contender again, they have no bench, they are completely lacking on D, I mean their D is awful, not just bad, it's awful. This is not the same GS team, at all, and that includes when Klay gets back. They may make the playoffs - marginally. 

GS has a lot of work to do to make the playoffs. That said yes they don't have Klay and may not get him back. Willie Cauley Stein and Alec Burk were both out too...but yeah...this year will be a revenge tour for the rest of the nba. That said....Clippers are far and away the deepest most talented team in the league...so that's a tough measure.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Both Cody and Romeo are out tonight.  

The Hornets announcers said Cody was out for personal reasons.   No idea what it could be but hopefully everything gets better/fixed soon for him.   He had such a good start the other night.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Gleas - No doubt feeling better about your C’s - Brown had a really nice bounce-back game.

OG back to looking like a really good developing young player and Siakim is legit, Toronto looking like they will still be a good playoff team — not a contender but still good. 

If Toronto plays it right they have expiring contracts in Gasol and Ibaka with about 60 million coming off the books. If they would like to rebuild around Vanvleet they could re-sign him easily and even trade Lowry and have a pretty clean slate to put around Siakim, OG, FVV, and Powell.

5 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Gleas - No doubt feeling better about your C’s - Brown had a really nice bounce-back game.

OG back to looking like a really good developing young player and Siakim is legit, Toronto looking like they will still be a good playoff team — not a contender but still good. 

Definitely a better performance last night. Kemba had a rough first 6 quarters of the season, but the C’s looked real good in the second half when he finally caught fire. Kemba’s attitude and leadership is just such a breath of fresh air for the team, especially compared to Kyrie. 

Tatum still doesn’t look great, been really inefficient and you can clearly see the loss of Horford. Not having a big to stretch the floor is hurting. But yes, this is going to a much more enjoyable team to watch, and it’s good to see Hayward looking closer to his old self. 

I watched a lot of Toronto’s first game and obviously all of last night, and I’m really impressed. This is a definitely a playoff team and while a title/Finals appearance probably isn’t going to happen, they can be a second round team. 

• Like 1

Pacers are embarrassing themselves at Cleveland tonight down 22 with 9 minutes left in the 3rd.  I said from the start that Turner and Sabonis can't play on the floor together because it will hurt the defense which it is already doing.  I have never been a fan of Turner because he is so soft and plays way to passive.  When he plays against big's who plays with heart and plays hard he just does nothing.  Drummond totally killed us on offensive rebounds and hustle plays and tonight Thompson with the Cavs is doing the same.

8 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Yep.  Thompson, 25 and 13.  Drummond 32 and 23.  Not a good start.  

True but let's not under sell Drummond. Guy is one of the top bigs in the league (and plays like a big). He is in a contract year as well. That isn't surprising to me. Thompson hit the first 3 of his career against us the other night. He has had a good start to the season. Honestly, when he is healthy he is a force as well but he hasn't been healthy much last few years. I do think we need to get tougher but Myles is not that type of center...and never will be. That isn't bad it is just he is really good at other things. That to me is on Nate for scheming to stop dominant big men. My concerns overall is the defense. It's still very early but we are going to have to work to get that identity back...lots of new faces and will have to learn their roles.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I have not watched any Pacers games yet this season.  But, I know what I saw the previous two seasons, and that was a team that fit together perfectly.  Totally uneducated guess here. but the team chemistry has to be lacking compared to the last two years.

Anytime you integrate new players it’s going to take time — add to that the P’s are now playing Sabonis and Turner together. Whether that can work remains to be seen. Only a few games into the season, and without Vic, too early to draw any real conclusions. 

20 games in is a good measuring stick. 

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Curious as to how you came to be an IU fan if you live in Kentucky and went to Murray State.   

Moved to Kentucky from Chicago when I was 12. About an hour south of Evansville. 

Struggled adjusting and making friends. My first real friend (still my best friend today 35 years later) and his family were from Evansville and die hard IU fans.

Through them, I came to love the game. We would always watch IU on channel 44 out of Evansville. Laskowski on the call, I beleive.

It just took off from there. I became obsessed with basketball, and grew passionate about the team that initiated that obsession. 

Basically good old IU fans taught me early, before the UK fans could brainwash me. Lol

Still a Chicago guy for my pro teams. Cubs, bears, bulls, hawks.

• Like 6

On 10/26/2019 at 1:27 PM, BGleas said:

Definitely a better performance last night. Kemba had a rough first 6 quarters of the season, but the C’s looked real good in the second half when he finally caught fire. Kemba’s attitude and leadership is just such a breath of fresh air for the team, especially compared to Kyrie. 

Would you say Kemba is more of a winner than Kyrie? :)

10 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Moved to Kentucky from Chicago when I was 12. About an hour south of Evansville. 

Struggled adjusting and making friends. My first real friend (still my best friend today 35 years later) and his family were from Evansville and die hard IU fans.

Through them, I came to love the game. We would always watch IU on channel 44 out of Evansville. Laskowski on the call, I beleive.

It just took off from there. I became obsessed with basketball, and grew passionate about the team that initiated that obsession. 

Basically good old IU fans taught me early, before the UK fans could brainwash me. Lol

Still a Chicago guy for my pro teams. Cubs, bears, bulls, hawks.

By the way, that trip down memory lane made me want to share this amazing story.

The best friend I mentioned? His son was born with a heart defect. Nearly died several times and had many operations as an infant.

During that time, I came into tickets to the IU and Duke game at Rupp. I was able to convince my friend to step away from the hospital and join me. And wow, we got the Moye/Boozer classic with court side seats.

Anyways, recently his son finally had a heart transplant. He is a walking miracle. In this video, my friend is the guy in the bright orange shirt!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wlky.com/amp/article/heart-transplant-allows-kentucky-teen-to-live-normal-life/27471481

• Like 5

8 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I have not watched any Pacers games yet this season.  But, I know what I saw the previous two seasons, and that was a team that fit together perfectly.  Totally uneducated guess here. but the team chemistry has to be lacking compared to the last two years.

They started to play better in the second half last night and seemed to be playing better together.  it took a lucky turnaround 3 point shot by Kennard to keep the Pistons in the game last night.  The Pacers were up 94-90 with 1:30 left in the game when the shot clock was running out when Kennard made that shot.  I still don't think in th elong run that the Pacers can keep Turner and Sabonis playing big minutes together.

Long season and the Pacers looked real rusty. A lot of new moving parts. People getting passed the ball in places they shouldn't have it. Miss timed passes...shots look a little unsure/rough. I'd expect a 500 team for the most part early on. The only problem is once they all start to learn a role etc....Vic comes back and it will probably change. I think Myles and Sabonis can play together against many opponents...it's just a little rough right now. Biggest problem I see is pg. Brogdon will get better but he just doesn't deliver the ball to where Sabonis and Myles like to get it on the block etc. You lose your starting and back up pgs in Collison and Joseph and it shows right now. Just a lot of unfamiliar faces that don't know what to expect from the guy next to them.

17 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Long season and the Pacers looked real rusty. A lot of new moving parts. People getting passed the ball in places they shouldn't have it. Miss timed passes...shots look a little unsure/rough. I'd expect a 500 team for the most part early on. The only problem is once they all start to learn a role etc....Vic comes back and it will probably change. I think Myles and Sabonis can play together against many opponents...it's just a little rough right now. Biggest problem I see is pg. Brogdon will get better but he just doesn't deliver the ball to where Sabonis and Myles like to get it on the block etc. You lose your starting and back up pgs in Collison and Joseph and it shows right now. Just a lot of unfamiliar faces that don't know what to expect from the guy next to them.

I thought they would get off to a really good start because he easy the schedule looked early on.  You play Detroit 3 times and Cleveland twice in your first 10 games you think you should get off to a good start.  it seemed like in the pre season that they were working pretty well together but they don't look fluid right now.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I thought they would get off to a really good start because he easy the schedule looked early on.  You play Detroit 3 times and Cleveland twice in your first 10 games you think you should get off to a good start.  it seemed like in the pre season that they were working pretty well together but they don't look fluid right now.

Further to above, it's going to take time for the P's to adjust to the new players and absence of the veteran players no longer on the team, and to playing Turner/Sabonis together, and fwiw Detroit is a pretty good team this year, and they will get better when they get their main scorer back. Depending on how Vic returns (all signs good so far), I think they will be contending in that 3-6 seed range by mid-season, but it takes time.

9 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

By the way, that trip down memory lane made me want to share this amazing story.

The best friend I mentioned? His son was born with a heart defect. Nearly died several times and had many operations as an infant.

During that time, I came into tickets to the IU and Duke game at Rupp. I was able to convince my friend to step away from the hospital and join me. And wow, we got the Moye/Boozer classic with court side seats.

Anyways, recently his son finally had a heart transplant. He is a walking miracle. In this video, my friend is the guy in the bright orange shirt!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wlky.com/amp/article/heart-transplant-allows-kentucky-teen-to-live-normal-life/27471481

Great story, and happy for your friend and his son.

And it's kind of cool to have a number of the biggest fans on the Board alum of other schools. I moved from New Hampshire to IN when I was 6 and grew up a Hoosier (but playing hockey) -- wherever any of us are, the love of the game and your favorite college team knows no borders.

• Like 2