Coronavirus

Reacher

8 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Been saying for some time now. Not to believe the death rate numbers. As unrelated deaths continue to get lumped in as covid-19 deaths. Bunches of info out there.  Here is just one more :

Fact check: Medicare pays hospitals more money for COVID-19 patients

Hospitals get money for covid cases. Hospitals losing millions because of shutting down elective surgeries, ect.  Coincidence?

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

And will the cable news networks be revising their counts downward, every time we get reports like the one out of Pennsylvania ?   I doubt it.

The media, Mark Suckerberg(not a typo), and the rest of silicon valley are censoring and shutting down dissenting opinion.

Coronavirus is real, but this has been turned into a political football because election year. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Texas limited reopening tomorrow

We're going to try to go to our favorite restaurant for dinner, but the wait time at 100% capacity is usually 45 minutes to an hour. Can't even imagine what it'll be at 25%...

I've got a couple in mind when things open back up here in Indy but that's one of my fears too. Reduced capacity means longer lines, means longer time of potential exposure,etc....I'm thinking about when things officially open all back up waiting another 2 weeks from that point to see what happens.

Early into this pandemic, I learned that well over 90% of our pharmaceuticals are manufactured in China. 

Today I learned another shocker. One of the country's largest meat packer.  Which is currently troubled with the virus.  Is owned by a Chinese billionaire.

The Chinese Billionaire Whose Company Owns Troubled Pork Processor Smithfield Foods

15 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Early into this pandemic, I learned that well over 90% of our pharmaceuticals are manufactured in China. 

Today I learned another shocker. One of the country's largest meat packer.  Which is currently troubled with the virus.  Is owned by a Chinese billionaire.

The Chinese Billionaire Whose Company Owns Troubled Pork Processor Smithfield Foods

And they want our tech companies.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/opinion/technology/493456-chinas-strategy-to-reorient-us-tech-companies-is-exposed-what-next%3famp

There's articles that speculate deaths are over-counted and there are articles saying their under counted: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/28/us/coronavirus-death-toll-total.html

If the COVID19 death projections are biased, then let's remove the bias.

This article is interesting because they look at the average total deaths over the past 5 years from March 8 to April 11. This is everything: heart disease, flu, car accidents, etc., they then compare it to total deaths reported this year over the same 35 days. The difference in death rate is called the '% of normal'. This year, New York City has seen a 300+% increase. New Jersey is at +172%, Michigan at +121%, Illinois is at +113%, etc. 

The article goes on to say it was this method that was used to get a more accurate death toll In Puerto Rico from the Hurricane:

Demographers often use measures of total deaths, sometimes called all-cause mortality, to evaluate the effects of natural disasters, where it can be difficult to trace particular causes.

In Puerto Rico in 2017, only 64 deaths were initially attributed to Hurricane Maria. But an analysis of the additional deaths showed the way that the disaster had, directly and indirectly, led to nearly 3,000 deaths over six months. The total included the immediate deaths from mudslides and drownings, but also sepsis, diabetes and suicides that came later as the power failure stretched on for months.

It seems like my opinions are in the minority here, so I hope I'm not being 'that guy' who's a buzzkill. Just trying to bring balance to the conversation. While it's very possible some deaths have been over-reported it's just as likely as they have been under-reported. We see this every week when Indiana adds chunks of numbers to their death toll from the backlog of bodies testing positive postmortem. Whether the deaths are a little higher or a little lower......OR if the deaths are related directly to or as a result of the virus, the bottom line it that the death total is way, WAY up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

The death total has definitely increased.  It is the cause of death I draw into question.

D9821EA6-9D5F-4773-B079-90D1D219DC28_zpskedk2boc.jpg

Where did you find this image because it looks like a high schooler put that together? I even typed in the reference link and it says page not found: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/14/nyregion/new-york-coronavirus-deaths.html

This looks fake.

Edit: And if this graph is using the numbers in the link I provided it is far off. This is showing a 19% increase in total deaths. NYC is showing 325% increase. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Where did you find this image because it looks like a high schooler put that together? I even typed in the reference link and it says page not found: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/14/nyregion/new-york-coronavirus-deaths.html

This looks fake.

Edit: And if this graph is using the numbers in the link I provided it is far off. This is showing a 19% increase in total deaths. NYC is showing 325% increase. 

Yes, this is an altered graph from somewhere. Not surprised that they are out there, but it does really point to the importance of vetting news sources.

46 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

This looks fake.

Just saw it was NY times and figured the article got taken down for whatever reason. Should've vetted better. I'm dumb. 

24 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Just saw it was NY times and figured the article got taken down for whatever reason. Should've vetted better. I'm dumb. 

If that makes you dumb then we are all idiots at one point. There's a lot of stuff out there that can't be trusted. It's almost a full time job double-checking and debunking misinformation at this point.

• Like 1

Decatur county continues to have a high percent of positive tests. A relative of mine had some symptoms wanted to be tested because of her age and a heart condition and was told testing only available for patients that get admitted into the hospital.  I can only take her word on it to be true and if so I can only imagine how many more infected are running around 

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

It seems like my opinions are in the minority here, so I hope I'm not being 'that guy' who's a buzzkill. Just trying to bring balance to the conversation. While it's very possible some deaths have been over-reported it's just as likely as they have been under-reported. We see this every week when Indiana adds chunks of numbers to their death toll from the backlog of bodies testing positive postmortem. Whether the deaths are a little higher or a little lower......OR if the deaths are related directly to or as a result of the virus, the bottom line it that the death total is way, WAY up.

I appreciate the perspective you, and all others, bring. As far as deaths, are we counting increased suicides as COVID deaths? That may be one part of increased deaths and while you can say that COVID was partially responsible, I agree with those saying you need an accurate count or the unintended consequences will mess things up for years.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

And will the cable news networks be revising their counts downward, every time we get reports like the one out of Pennsylvania ?   I doubt it.

I doubt it as well Mile. The news media has an agenda and I think we all pretty well know what it is.....

Edited by Proud2BAHoosier