Coronavirus

Reacher

On a side note, I saw where the Governor of Kentucky, Andy Beshear is being sued by the States Attorney General for the Gov. anti travel ban.

He also was being sued for issuing a ban on in church services. Tough job.....

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=andy+beshear+being+sued&docid=608027335641531731&mid=3AE077225336199091513AE07722533619909151&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

The non-COVID care issues are definitely a concern. How many people are not seeking care for genuine emergencies or much needed care? Our hospital system is losing approx. $500M each month b/c of no elective surgeries, appts, and obviously increased costs associated with COVID-19 cases.

We are trying to move toward providing electives and other outpatient appointments. This isn't easy b/c of how we've had to retrofit physical spaces drastically to keep up with space issues and staff have also been redeployed. We need to make sure that staff and patients are well protected.

His last paragraph is both sad and ludicrous - especially for NYC. How do all of these people actually get to work now? The MTA is badly crippled right now and we're not sure when it can get back to hauling all of those millions of riders each day. Getting to work was challenging enough before this virus. Now? It's a freaking minefield.

I think the key is that common sense has to let people return to work when they can safely do so. NYC will be different than upstate NY. In CA, 5 rural counties With virtually no COVID deaths) are suing the state. Why should they have the same restrictions as LA county which is responsible for like half the deaths in the state? NJ golf course are willing ypo open with golfers either walking or riding one to a cart. Why can't they? A 90 year old couple isn't harming others, or themselves, by sitting on a beach.  When bars are closed, but liquor stores are open, when lotteries and marijuana are essential, it is about more than health. Let businesses and individuals take appropriate precautions. I think it is already happening. Non essential businesses are reopening. I drove by a mattress store this week that was open. Now that's essential?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Not really sure. I thought back then it was pretty much dismissed as even being a possibility.  

Yet there were others who pointed to this guy's research on the Corona Virus out of the University of North Carolina. Ralph S. Baric, PhD • UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health 

UNC had a full page of his research.  However, after the virus escaped and he shut down the lab, which caused two of his researchers to leave for Wuhan... to continue the research... UNC took down the page .

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

I think the key is that common sense has to let people return to work when they can safely do so. NYC will be different than upstate NY. In CA, 5 rural counties With virtually no COVID deaths) are suing the state. Why should they have the same restrictions as LA county which is responsible for like half the deaths in the state? NJ golf course are willing ypo open with golfers either walking or riding one to a cart. Why can't they? A 90 year old couple isn't harming others, or themselves, by sitting on a beach.  When bars are closed, but liquor stores are open, when lotteries and marijuana are essential, it is about more than health. Let businesses and individuals take appropriate precautions. I think it is already happening. Non essential businesses are reopening. I drove by a mattress store this week that was open. Now that's essential?

Common sense is key, but I don't think many of our dear leaders are particularly blessed with that. I do like how Cuomo has come out supporting areas of upstate NY opening sooner than NYC.

As far as liquor stores and marijuana sales being essential - they are if you look at health reasons. Hospitals don't want alcoholics not having access to alcohol and then going through withdrawals and having to see ER care. And medicinal marijuana is important for many cancer patients and people with chronic pain, or related issues. I was about to say, "Mattress stores should def. be non essential." But I bet someone with a bad back that needs a mattress might disagree!

I think there's some area in the middle of closed or open that can work for most places. Restaurants, liquor stores, and bodegas here have figured it out. Heck, even our local Petco has a nifty system set up where you order online and then pick up in person. They even put up sheeted plastic to protect the employees.

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

Wasn't this common knowledge in Jan?

Far from common knowledge. And the claim that that it was bioengineered is just not true, they can tell this from the RNA. 

Here's a podcast with 98 different citations that explains why. An interesting listen: https://gimletmedia.com/shows/science-vs/dvheexn/coronavirus-was-it-made-in-a-lab?utm_source=gimletWebsite&utm_medium=copyShare&utm_campaign=gimletWebsite

12 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Far from common knowledge. And the claim that that it was bioengineered is just not true, they can tell this from the RNA. 

Here's a podcast with 98 different citations that explains why. An interesting listen: https://gimletmedia.com/shows/science-vs/dvheexn/coronavirus-was-it-made-in-a-lab?utm_source=gimletWebsite&utm_medium=copyShare&utm_campaign=gimletWebsite

I never said it was bio engineered. Since you brought that up, there is much out there that we don't yet know. Personally, I think it is more likely Dr Shi Zhengli caused some mutations and then it escaped due to lax protocol (described in @mrflynn03 Washington Post link above) but until we get full transparency from China it is unlikely we will ever know.  

I do recall seeing reports that the virus likely emanated from the Wuhan lab- probably on accident, in Jan. As @milehiiu reported above, there were reports out there. Up to you what you believe. If it did not originate via the Wuhan Lab, what is your guess? 

Not accusing you of saying that is was bioengineered, but I’ve heard many people suspect that and i was referencing the claim from Shi that COVID19 is some sort of hybrid virus or mutation. Which is also highly improbable, again, I’ll direct you to the podcast for more info on that.

I guess I believe the most plausible explanation until I’m proven otherwise, which is: it was transferred to humans from animals. Just like SARS, Ebola, H1N1, and most other new/dangerous viruses. 

Not saying it’s not impossible that a lab somehow got a hold of the virus, was studying it and the let it slip out, but as you said nobody knows. Anything’s possible, I just find the former much more likely because that’s how viruses have historically started. 

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Can someone explain to me how Pakistan, with a population of almost 213 million has fewer deaths than Indiana, with a population of less then 7 million?

And India?  Over a billion people living on top of each other,unsanitary, and around 1000 deaths.🤯

So, news today that Remdisiver may be the drug that turns the tide against the Coronavirus.   My question is why did it take this long for us to get to that conclusion?  The drug, while not approved by that FDA, was specifically designed to stop Ebola.  If it had proven effective against on pandemic virus, it seems to me those drugs would be the first place I would be looking at when the next virus comes along.

How many lives could have been saved if all the red tape had been pushed aside earlier?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remdesivir

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

So, news today that Remdisiver may be the drug that turns the tide against the Coronavirus.   My question is why did it take this long for us to get to that conclusion?  The drug, while not approved by that FDA, was specifically designed to stop Ebola.  If it had proven effective against on pandemic virus, it seems to me those drugs would be the first place I would be looking at when the next virus comes along.

How many lives could have been saved if all the red tape had been pushed aside earlier?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remdesivir

Private industry trumps .Gov every time.  Smart people typically dont take government jobs. They work in private industry where they get paid well.

Red tape and bureaucracy stifles innovation. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Can someone explain to me how Pakistan, with a population of almost 213 million has fewer deaths than Indiana, with a population of less then 7 million?

My best guess is people in Pakistan probably don't travel to other countries very often, if ever. That would significantly decrease the chances of someone bringing the virus into the country. 

14 hours ago, Seat106 said:

As everyone is going back to work, remember that the federal or local governments will not protect your safety with regards to the virus.

Your employer has no obligation to keep you safe.

Your safety due to Coronavirus at work is your responsibility alone.

My safety is my responsibility all the time. I can make my own decisions, I don’t want the government telling me what is safe for me. I just don’t trust them.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

My best guess is people in Pakistan probably don't travel to other countries very often, if ever. That would significantly decrease the chances of someone bringing the virus into the country. 

But once there, it seems like it would have spread out of control.  The people in nursing homes in the U.S. were not world travelers either.

10 hours ago, 5fouls said:

You and @mrflynn03 peaked my curiosity and I found article about India. It raises more questions than it answers but still pretty interesting. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/04/28/india/india-coronavirus-outbreak-explained-intl-hnk/index.html

• Like 2