Coronavirus

Reacher

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Who conducted this study?

It now lead story on the Foxnews homepage but still no source. Did find this additional info-

Female: 12%
Male: 15.9%

Asian: 11.7%
Black: 22.1%
Latino/Hispanic: 22.5%
Multi/None/Other: 22.8%
White: 9.1%

Also, IL announced today they are extending their shelter in place order :(

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Who conducted this study?

The only thing I'm having a problem with this study is that it was conducted at big box stores and large grocery stores. I get that the setting is a place where they thought they could get the most people, but there's a huge number of NYC residents that don't shop at either of these places. Younger people use shopping apps and rarely visit places like this.

I'm not sure what I think this means though. Maybe the infection rate would be higher if they captured younger people who may have engaged in riskier behavior, i.e., less social distancing? Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Anyway, it's nice to see a lot more studies coming out about infection rate and antibodies, b/c the medicine silver bullets we had some hope for are not panning out at all.

• Like 1

Well Crap, that's a new twist! Early retirement!

Not to be unexpected though! We are going to reopen the plant Monday albeit with guidelines and even physical barriers to keep people separate! Wish us all luck, but this afternoon being in that age group I received an email about early retirement!

Yesterday as I was leaving the plant I joined a conversation with a handful of employees including our President. Our company can financially survive, we have no debt! But this last month as you can expect has been a disaster! Further since our primary customers are resteraunt s, school cafeterias and such our future business is not good in the short run/mid term run.

That being said, the particular problem I fall in has been 40 years in the making, back in the 80's and 90's when corporations sold their souls to ASIA, domestic tooling went into a death spiral! We now have inadequate tool build resources in America, companies no longer exist and the once lucrative trade of tool maker is a dying breed! Along with tooling engineers like me. Nobody is irreplaceable, but if I take early retirement, let's just say this companies latest and greatest product design overhaul goes indefinitely on hold. Young engineers and trades people shun Tool Making, it is really a sad state, because if you don't have tooling you don't build product!

Sorry for the 40 year old festering rant, I already let my boss know I have his back and I'm not retiring unless forced to.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

Not to be unexpected though! We are going to reopen the plant Monday albeit with guidelines and even physical barriers to keep people separate! Wish us all luck, but this afternoon being in that age group I received an email about early retirement!

Yesterday as I was leaving the plant I joined a conversation with a handful of employees including our President. Our company can financially survive, we have no debt! But this last month as you can expect has been a disaster! Further since our primary customers are resteraunt s, school cafeterias and such our future business is not good in the short run/mid term run.

That being said, the particular problem I fall in has been 40 years in the making, back in the 80's and 90's when corporations sold their souls to ASIA, domestic tooling went into a death spiral! We now have inadequate tool build resources in America, companies no longer exist and the once lucrative trade of tool maker is a dying breed! Along with tooling engineers like me. Nobody is irreplaceable, but if I take early retirement, let's just say this companies latest and greatest product design overhaul goes indefinitely on hold. Young engineers and trades people shun Tool Making, it is really a sad state, because if you don't have tooling you don't build product!

Sorry for the 40 year old festering rant, I already let my boss know I have his back and I'm not retiring unless forced to.

How close are you to retirement? 

41 minutes ago, Muckraker said:

How close are you to retirement? 

My situation is unique! Most of my adult life my one income has gone to support myself and to some degree others. (my choice) I am of age where I can receive full retirement, but each year I put off my retirement increases 8% I figure if I work to 70 I might survive after that. It's not that I don't have other monies put aside, but they are not enough to support myself and the ones I love!

Besides my personal place as I stated my profession is a dying breed! As we go forward in these trying times, trying to bring back American manufacturing, the knowledge I have available to mentor those if they would just believe is immense.

Besides, I'm not ready to just sit in a rocking chair on the porch and drink sweet tea and lemonade!! Or was that Long Island Tea?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Muckraker said:

I've been a toolmaker for 40 years, so I can relate to your thoughts about the industry. I could have started started drawing full SS last year, but I decided to wait. 

I started life as a tool maker (18 yrs) and really miss twisting the knobs on the manual machines. I had a 3 paragraph rant all typed out about this, but deleted it. Without the skilled trades, life's going to be even harder going forward.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Muckraker said:

I've been a toolmaker for 40 years, so I can relate to your thoughts about the industry. I could have started started drawing full SS last year, but I decided to wait. 

I hear you brother! The corporations of the 80's and 90's threw us into the trash can! 

That being said, I have a feeling if we stay strong and make ourselves known, industries will come and beg for us to help them rebuild!

Stay strong my friend!

the stamping plant where I did my apprenticeship had presses from 8 to 400 tons, and a lot of assembly equipment. As labor became more expensive, a lot of the older, smaller presses got sold off, along with the manually operated assembly equipment. By the time that plant got shut down in 2009 most of the assembly equipment was robot cells, and the presses ranged from 400 to 2,000 tons.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Muckraker said:

the stamping plant where I did my apprenticeship had presses from 8 to 400 tons, and a lot of assembly equipment. As labor became more expensive, a lot of the older, smaller presses got sold off, along with the manually operated assembly equipment. By the time that plant got shut down in 2009 most of the assembly equipment was robot cells, and the presses ranged from 400 to 2,000 tons.

Sad demise of a currently much needed industry? When my former company decided that it was more profitable to just buy product from Thailand and China than build it domestic I was one of the first 13 let go on bloody Friday! Oh how those grossly overpaid executive's made their short term negligent decisions!

4 hours ago, Drroogh said:

I'd like to fight for you brother.  Hang in there.  You sound like the men who raised me.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Been going through Chinese food withdrawal so have been using my culinary skills to work on Asian food. So far done some good stir fry, sweet and sour chicken, Mu Shu pork, next up bibimbap for dinner tomorrow.

ha. Mrs mile broke out the wok that laid dormant in the basement this month.  And pulled out the Chinese section of her cookbook.  After ordering delivery from our favorite Chinese restaurant, after they jacked their prices up. 

12 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

next up bibimbap for dinner tomorrow.

Let me know how that turns out...my favorite Oriental dish...never tried to make it, but when I went to my favorite place to get it, "The Rice Bar" near L'EnFant Plaza in DC, I like beef rib meat, black rice, assorted veggies, and Gochujang sauce...

Edited by IUFLA