Coronavirus

Reacher

1 minute ago, FritzIam4IU said:

New highest day total for IN...963 new confirmed with 31 new deaths.

https://www.coronavirus.in.gov/2393.htm

Indiana's reporting is so jacked up.  Every day, there are 'backdated' cases, especially over the weekend.  The governor should demand next day reporting from the counties every day.  It's next to impossible to identify a trend otherwise.  

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Indiana's reporting is so jacked up.  Every day, there are 'backdated' cases, especially over the weekend.  The governor should demand next day reporting from the counties every day.  It's next to impossible to identify a trend otherwise.  

Look at 5 day rolling averages?

3 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Look at 5 day rolling averages?

Sometimes your 5 day includes a weekend day, sometimes it includes 2 weekend days, and sometimes it would not include any.  Something this important, with the impacts it is having, needs to be done right.  We don't live in the pony express days where someone needs to jump on a horse and ride to Indy to report these numbers.  It should not be that hard to report them correctly every day.  

24 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Out of the 31 deaths Indiana reported today, only 13 of them occurred yesterday.  That's 18 deaths that should have been reported on a previous day., including one from 4/10.  

And of those.  How many actually died of the virus ?  No need to answer it. As it already has been reported that deaths attributed to the virus, are not all deaths as a the result of the virus.

• Like 1

First, I hope everyone that has been personally affected by all of this is doing well, whether it be health, mentally, financially, etc. @IU Scott, I hope you are well my friend!

I posted this in another thread last week, but figured I'd expand on it over here. Me and my family got hit pretty hard last week when my company's board decided to cut salaries by 50%. Not a call I was hoping to get. I'll just give the full story, I run marketing for a small startup supplement company where we offer clinically effective supplements, plant-based protein shakes, etc, and we also give back where for every order on our website, we donate a bottle of our children's multivitamin to a malnourished child around the world. To-date, we've donated over 600,000 vitamins to malnourished children. Sorry, did not intend for that to be a sales pitch, just wanted to fill everyone in on what we do (though I guess that is a sales pitch).  

While we've been growing steadily every year, we're a lean and mean team, mostly utilizing freelancers and consultants. Full time we're a two person company, so legitimately a startup, though we are 7 years old. Seems odd to have a BOD for a two person company, but that's a whole other story. 

Anyways, we're eCommerce which is actually good during this time, but being small and in a saturated industry we don't have the ad budgets of our competitors, so we've built the business largely through partnerships with doctors, personal trainers and boutique gyms, athletes and influencers, which has been great. The problem came in when during this time doctors are not seeing patients and gyms/personal trainers are not seeing clients. We've seen revenue fall by over 30%. 

Not looking for sympathy, as I know a lot of people have it much worse during this time, and I'm grateful the 50% slash wasn't a 100% slash. Time to roll up the sleeves even more and get the revenue rolling again. I'm confident we can do it, but definitely a scary time. 

Maybe we can create a little mini HSN job board during these times? If anyone has a business that's in need of marketing strategy/support, I'm open to consult/free lance as I look to supplement (pun intended) my income. 

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

First, I hope everyone that has been personally affected by all of this is doing well, whether it be health, mentally, financially, etc. @IU Scott, I hope you are well my friend!

I posted this in another thread last week, but figured I'd expand on it over here. Me and my family got hit pretty hard last week when my company's board decided to cut salaries by 50%. Not a call I was hoping to get. I'll just give the full story, I run marketing for a small startup supplement company where we offer clinically effective supplements, plant-based protein shakes, etc, and we also give back where for every order on our website, we donate a bottle of our children's multivitamin to a malnourished child around the world. To-date, we've donated over 600,000 vitamins to malnourished children. Sorry, did not intend for that to be a sales pitch, just wanted to fill everyone in on what we do (though I guess that is a sales pitch).  

While we've been growing steadily every year, we're a lean and mean team, mostly utilizing freelancers and consultants. Full time we're a two person company, so legitimately a startup, though we are 7 years old. Seems odd to have a BOD for a two person company, but that's a whole other story. 

Anyways, we're eCommerce which is actually good during this time, but being small and in a saturated industry we don't have the ad budgets of our competitors, so we've built the business largely through partnerships with doctors, personal trainers and boutique gyms, athletes and influencers, which has been great. The problem came in when during this time doctors are not seeing patients and gyms/personal trainers are not seeing clients. We've seen revenue fall by over 30%. 

Not looking for sympathy, as I know a lot of people have it much worse during this time, and I'm grateful the 50% slash wasn't a 100% slash. Time to roll up the sleeves even more and get the revenue rolling again. I'm confident we can do it, but definitely a scary time. 

Maybe we can create a little mini HSN job board during these times? If anyone has a business that's in need of marketing strategy/support, I'm open to consult/free lance as I look to supplement (pun intended) my income. 

Sorry to hear that. You, like me and many others are stuck in limbo. 

I have a distributorship for branded merchandise and the sales from most of my customers are event driven. No events means no orders, so this uncertainty is pretty scary. I remarkably had a pretty good month this past April, but everything I put through is not sustainable as a future revenue source. Luckily we secured a PPP loan to hold us over through the summer, but it looks like it's going to be a rough ride. Luckily, I don't have much overhead. My car lease (business expense) is up in May and I'll hold off on getting a new car because I haven't driven anywhere in a month. Best not to take continue a monthly expense if I don't have to. My wife is also on limited hours, but has still been able to get around 30 hours the past 3 weeks. Overall, I guess the only plan right now is don't spend money, unless its on the essentials like groceries....and alcohol. Best of luck to you @BGleas .

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Sorry to hear that. You, like me and many others are stuck in limbo. 

I have a distributorship for branded merchandise and the sales from most of my customers are event driven. No events means no orders, so this uncertainty is pretty scary. I remarkably had a pretty good month this past April, but everything I put through is not sustainable as a future revenue source. Luckily we secured a PPP loan to hold us over through the summer, but it looks like it's going to be a rough ride. Luckily, I don't have much overhead. My car lease (business expense) is up in May and I'll hold off on getting a new car because I haven't driven anywhere in a month. Best not to take continue a monthly expense if I don't have to. My wife is also on limited hours, but has still been able to get around 30 hours the past 3 weeks. Overall, I guess the only plan right now is don't spend money, unless its on the essentials like groceries....and alcohol. Best of luck to you @BGleas .

Thanks, @tdhoosier! Best of luck to you as well. Glad to hear you were able to secure the PPP loan. We're are waiting with our fingers extremely crossed on our application. It would be a game changer for us if we get the loan, but we're trying to operate as if we're not. 

The good news for us is that we are ecommerce, so we're working as fast as we can to pivot some strategies and get our digital advertising cranking, though hard to do without much budget, but if we can get revenue back up then we can get our pay back up. 

My wife is a paraeducator in our kids schools, so come end of June - August we lose that income as well as she doesn't get paid in the summer. Hoping my business can get cranking so we're squared up again before that happens. We'll see. Definitely scary times. 

https://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/covid-19-cases-increasing-in-nwi-nursing-homes/article_2b1155da-4880-5392-90ae-a3b82d4b9dfa.html

Took awhile to load and you have to allow ads thought many of you would be interested. Apparently, 1 asymptomatic employee infected 40 and possibly killed 24 at a nursing home in Joliet, IL. Not too far from me.. Feel terrible for anyone involved there.

Edited by Reacher

@BGleas and @tdhoosier I do feel for you and what's happened to your lives.  And the same for @IU Scott who I sincerely hope is not getting hit especially hard with the virus.  I'm retired but I have 2 son-in-laws that have both experienced mandated pay reductions so I do know what you're going through.  An unbelievable period of time we're living in and the way we live is likely changed forever.  Everyone on HSN stay safe and stay healthy.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, IU4Ever said:

@BGleas and @tdhoosier I do feel for you and what's happened to your lives.  And the same for @IU Scott who I sincerely hope is not getting hit especially hard with the virus.  I'm retired but I have 2 son-in-laws that have both experienced mandated pay reductions so I do know what you're going through.  An unbelievable period of time we're living in and the way we live is likely changed forever.  Everyone on HSN stay safe and stay healthy.

Second your obvious heart felt post. All three are treasured members of Hoosier Sports Nation.

Blessings to all who have been negatively impacted by this silent enemy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Second your obvious heart felt post. All three are treasured members of Hoosier Sports Nation.

Blessings to all who have been negatively impacted by this silent enemy.

I agree, everyone I know has been negatively impacted by the virus, different situations for all but the virus touches everyone even if you don’t get it

• Like 2

Best wishes out to @BGleas, Scott and @tdhoosier and everyone else dealing with lost income, lost wages, lost work and all the rest.

Courtesy of a Texas Governor's decision my firm will head back to the office May 1. We obtained a PPP loan and have retained our staff, at full salary, with the exception of letting our temporary receptionists go (and hopefully we'll bring them back). 

I hope we're moving past the peak or whatever you want to call it of this virus, and that people will more broadly get back to work, with proper safety protocols, masks, etc. We all need to be working. Balancing that against the dangers of this virus (including as now determined a significant rise in strokes of younger folks diagnosed with COVID-19 who otherwise didn't show symptoms) has been the issue, and it is real, but at some point we all have to work to live. 

• Like 2

I truly feel for everyone being affected by all of this! Possibly on the news of getting out of it all, keep an eye on Georgia and some others! 
We reopened our plant of a few hundred employees today! Everyone was issued masks and the entire plant had markings on the floor to practice social distancing! Rules for hand washing and antibacterial use with dispensers everywhere! Seems like everyone was doing their part they were just happy to be back at work but also with some trepidation!

Further my boss and I felt the need to support one of the hardest hit industries, independent restaurants! We went in and had a sit down lunch with one of our favorite Waite staff! We did leave a decent tip, and felt proper precautions were being taken!

All that being said keep an eye on Georgia’s numbers Also, my boss and I are probably canary birds! I’m in that 65 and older group and my boss is a cancer survivor! Guess we’re both in the mode of if it’s your time it’s your time!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Sometimes your 5 day includes a weekend day, sometimes it includes 2 weekend days, and sometimes it would not include any.  Something this important, with the impacts it is having, needs to be done right.  We don't live in the pony express days where someone needs to jump on a horse and ride to Indy to report these numbers.  It should not be that hard to report them correctly every day.  

This is Indiana we're talking about. Not exactly a state known for operating in the 21st century. When people say we live in the past, they aren't just talking about our basketball program. 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

No it shouldn't

I hope you are are doing well and know several people who have went through what you have been going through.

But what is being done is going prolong this for months or more. I guess I'm more of short term pain for long term gain. Our Economy cant survive rolling lockdowns or being shutdown until a vaccine is available.  It is just not feasible.