Coronavirus

Reacher

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

The "dude quoted" has some pretty impressive credentials and it is hard to find fault with the Sweden approach as it seems to be working better than many other places. He never said to "shove the elderly in a room to let them die". There is a difference between that and quarantining young healthy people who have minimal  (notice I did not say no) risks. People should be allowed to decide what risks they want to assume for themselves/ their family. 

From what I've heard, the young people affected often have other health issues or vape. Any anecdotal evidence to that?

100% agree that the dude has impressive credentials and a history of valid scientific output, but he's making the same mistake so many others are doing - extrapolating his experience in a single country with worldwide results. That just doesn't work in the best of times, but definitely not now. What might be true for Bloomington, IN is most likely not the same for Queens, NY or Lombardy, Italy.

And yes, I overstated his case b/c it's so poorly presented. He basically said that if you take care of the elderly then all is good. That's just not the case.

One of our faculty just published a paper with over 4,000 cases and 54% of the hospitalized cases were under age 54. And shockingly, smoking and vaping was not a factor. We are still looking into this though.

You know what was a huge factor though? Being a dude. Guys were 60% of hospitalized and 68% of those who became critically ill. We all need to take care of ourselves! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

100% agree that the dude has impressive credentials and a history of valid scientific output, but he's making the same mistake so many others are doing - extrapolating his experience in a single country with worldwide results. That just doesn't work in the best of times, but definitely not now. What might be true for Bloomington, IN is most likely not the same for Queens, NY or Lombardy, Italy.

And yes, I overstated his case b/c it's so poorly presented. He basically said that if you take care of the elderly then all is good. That's just not the case.

One of our faculty just published a paper with over 4,000 cases and 54% of the hospitalized cases were under age 54. And shockingly, smoking and vaping was not a factor. We are still looking into this though.

You know what was a huge factor though? Being a dude. Guys were 60% of hospitalized and 68% of those who became critically ill. We all need to take care of ourselves! 

Knowing your background, and what you do for a living.   I truly appreciate all of your contributions on this subject.  Just... please... stay safe

16 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Even pets are starting to protest. 

My friend who has friends she talks with weekly in Italy, France and Spain posted awhile ago, which I reposted here. In Spain, things are so repressive that neighbors are renting dogs to walk just so they can get out of their apartment! The dogs have as you see here are done with needlessly walking! Worse, in case you haven't paid attention, Spain about a week ago outlawed dog walking! This is not funny!

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

See, the world is just now understanding the man flu! 

• Like 1

A lot of data/statistics being shared.

One thing to keep in mind is that data can be manipulated to paint the narrative the author wants to tell.

Example.  Info straight from the Indiana Department of Health Website.

• If I want to make a 45 year old person feel secure, I report that 96.5% of deaths in the state are people over 50.
  • If I want to make a 45 year old person feel worried, I report that over 50% of reported cases in the state are in people aged 30-59.

Or,,,,,,,(not from the website, but a general trend I'm seeing)

• If I want to focus on how the virus primarily impacts the elderly, I write a headline about dozens of bodies piling up in a New Jersey nursing home.
  • If I want to get the attention of the young to better practice social distancing, I write a headline about a 32 year old mother's harrowing experience with Covid and her passionate plea to others who don't think they can get it.

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

A lot of data/statistics being shared.

One thing to keep in mind is that data can be manipulated to paint the narrative the author wants to tell.

Example.  Info straight from the Indiana Department of Health Website.

• If I want to make a 45 year old person feel secure, I report that 96.5% of deaths in the state are people over 50.
  • If I want to make a 45 year old person feel worried, I report that over 50% of reported cases in the state are in people aged 30-59.

Or,,,,,,,(not from the website, but a general trend I'm seeing)

• If I want to focus on how the virus primarily impacts the elderly, I write a headline about dozens of bodies piling up in a New Jersey nursing home.
  • If I want to get the attention of the young to better practice social distancing, I write a headline about a 32 year old mother's harrowing experience with Covid and her passionate plea to others who don't think they can get it.

There are the stories of J Edgar Hoover and his gwiiz charts, where when then direction of the data went the wrong direction, he just turned the chart 90 degrees!

Edited by Drroogh

3 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Early on I heard men fare worse than women. Also heard certain nationalities are more susceptible. Any info on that angle?

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

Early on I heard men fare worse than women. Also heard certain nationalities are more susceptible. Any info on that angle?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/21/coronavirus-threatens-generation-of-black-americans

Apparently coronavirus kicks oxygen off of hemoglobin and because some of our fellow Americans genetically suffer from sickcel cell anemia, they are more susceptible to coronavirus.  Its becoming apparent that coronavirus displaces oxygen on the blood cells which leads to multiple organ disfunction instead of ARDS. 

Also heart disease, and an abundance of ACE2 receptors in the respiratory system is a factor.

Ventilators are a death sentence. Pure oxygen is what has been found to work the best. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, IU4Ever said:

Indiana as well which is music to my son-in-law's ears as he works for a company that manufactures orthopedic devices.

Yes. Agreed. This is a positive to many people. The doctors and nurses who either have had their salaries decreased. To the medical people who have been furloughed. Not to mention the people who need this type of surgery. In our case, we have a friend who was scheduled for a knee replacement. That got scrapped. In the meantime she has been suffering with pain. 

5 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Research out of the BIG 10...https://www.medschool.umaryland.edu/news/2020/Researchers-Predict-Potential-Spread-and-Seasonality-for-COVID-19-Based-on-Climate-Where-Virus-Appears-to-Thrive.html   Might explain why deaths/ million in the NE states are multiples that of the SE states. Come on summer!

No study on my part. Just decades of experience.  Ebbs and flows with the seasons.

I want to thank you, and all others for their contributions to this thread. I get more and varied information, than I ever get watching the so called news stations. I particularly like in intel coming to us from members all over the country.

40 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Elective surgeries to start back up again, this coming Monday in Colorado.

Great for me because I had an ablation postponed. Would rather not have to worry about arrhythmia with this COVID floating around. Also good for my wife who is a PT and will now get all those post-op patients back.  

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Great for me because I had an ablation postponed. Would rather not have to worry about arrhythmia with this COVID floating around. Also good for my wife who is a PT and will now get all those post-op patients back.  

Best of luck with your surgery.  I presume it will be a surgical procedure.

May God bless you and your wife.

• Thanks 1

Some COVID-19 pickup lines:

- If COVID-19 doesn't take you out, can I?

- I saw you from across the bar -- stay there.

- Is that hand sanitizer in your pocket, or are you just happy to be within 6 feet of me?

- Can I take you with me and work you from home?

https://manofmany.com/lifestyle/sex-dating/37-hilarious-covid-19-pick-up-lines

COVID-19-Pick-Up-Lines.jpg

• Haha 2

@Lostin76 any truth to nearly half of the Covid deaths in NY and NJ being nursing home residents? We have seen clusters of deaths in nursing homes elsewhere. It looks like NY may have made matters worse with this- http://paltc.org/sites/default/files/AMDA-AHCA-NCAL Statement on State Advisories FINAL.pdf. Nursing homes should be the first places testing for the virus- not prohibited from doing so. If true, this seems to be a big reason NY deaths are so high. 

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

@Lostin76 any truth to nearly half of the Covid deaths in NY and NJ being nursing home residents? We have seen clusters of deaths in nursing homes elsewhere. It looks like NY may have made matters worse with this- http://paltc.org/sites/default/files/AMDA-AHCA-NCAL Statement on State Advisories FINAL.pdf. Nursing homes should be the first places testing for the virus- not prohibited from doing so. If true, this seems to be a big reason NY deaths are so high. 

Hey Reacher, sorry I've been busy these last couple of days. There are a ton of nursing home deaths for sure, but I don't think enough to be half - that would be 15K deaths in nursing homes. We just don't do much work with nursing homes - honestly most places don't and nursing homes are all but forgotten.

I agree, there should be better testing in nursing homes. I did find this article from April 17th that gives you some data.

https://gothamist.com/news/nyc-nursing-homes-battered-dozens-deaths-state-data-shows

Looks like 55 resident death from the one nearest us in Cobble Hill. That's like a 20 minute walk from our place. Most seem to be in Queens, the Bronx or Long Island though. Not sure what's happening in Jersey.

• Thanks 1