Coronavirus

Reacher

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Georgia is the wrong state to be the pace setter for re-opening.  Their numbers simply are not that good.  And, they have not tested that many compared to other states with similar populations.  

Don't disagree. But here I am, I'm going back to work Tuesday almost guaranteed! I'm all in for my friends on the line!

16 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Actually as a competitor, am looking forward to being at the forefront going back to work! Bring it on!! 

Here's mile's advice.  Take in all the information on can get.  From all sides of the many issues.  And then make your own decision. I have been taking in as much information as I can.  And have come to one conclusion, understanding my age.  For me. It is much too early to stop self containment.  Again... every one needs to decide what is best for them.

May God bless as you go forward.

13 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

We pump our own gas in NYC. I have to drive through NJ (on the Turnpike) to get to our place in Maryland, and I refuse to get gas in NJ. Can't stand letting someone else pump my gas and then have to give them a tip. I'm totally with you there!

I just don't think we can know how long and what places can open up earlier. It's obviously different where I grew up in Gibson County, IN where they have only 5 active cases and then here in Brooklyn where we have 37,000 active cases. We can't obviously just do blanket openings. I really don't envy the decision makers in this time.

I was born and raised in Daviess county.  So not too far away from you.  I think we can agree this whole thing is unprecedented and we are doing the best we can. Hope we get it under control.  Stay safe.

14 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Can't stand letting someone else pump my gas and then have to give them a tip

You tip them? Really?

I've never even considered it. I'll ask some of my cohorts that live and work in the South Jersey area if it's the norm, but I don't think so...

And if someone asked me why I don't tip the gas station attendant, I'd probably say the same thing I cited earlier in this thread that Jerseyites say when asked why an attendant has to pump their gas in the first place...😀

Edited by IUFLA

59 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You tip them? Really?

I've never even considered it. I'll ask some of my cohorts that live and work in the South Jersey area if it's the norm, but I don't think so...

And if someone asked me why I don't tip the gas station attendant, I'd probably say the same thing I cited earlier in this thread that Jerseyites say when asked why an attendant has to pump their gas in the first place...😀

I was shocked first time I got gas in Jersey.  I thought the guy was going to jack me to he honest

• Like 1

I was just looking over at the MLB thread, and was thinking about the third piece of the balancing act (death from the virus and financial/work considerations of course being the first two) and that's the mental health issue.

I know it's been talked about in this thread some, but I also believe it is the most overlooked aspect of all of this. How many people are we going to lose because they can't cope with the stress? How many will succumb to addictions? 

Believe me, I understand the personal side of this, and the accompanying fear, but society has to get back to some semblance of normality.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I was just looking over at the MLB thread, and was thinking about the third piece of the balancing act (death from the virus and financial/work considerations of course being the first two) and that's the mental health issue.

I know it's been talked about in this thread some, but I also believe it is the most overlooked aspect of all of this. How many people are we going to lose because they can't cope with the stress? How many will succumb to addictions? 

Believe me, I understand the personal side of this, and the accompanying fear, but society has to get back to some semblance of normality.  

The great unknown for sure. Jobs and income/benefits give people hope and confidence. Without those....you can head down a path of drugs/alcohol/suicide/crime,etc....which ultimately lead to death. No way to track those numbers but it's part of the "greater good" equation that we have to figure out. I still don't know the right answer.

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I saw one article stating that the anticipated rise in unemployment could lead to 800,000+ suicides. Don't put a lot of credence into that. But if it's 100,000, that's more deaths than from the virus itself. Bears watching and will probably take years to get an accurate take.

• Like 1

https://unherd.com/thepost/coming-up-epidemiologist-prof-johan-giesecke-shares-lessons-from-sweden/

• The correct policy is to protect the old and the frail only
  • This will eventually lead to herd immunity as a “by-product”
  • The Imperial College paper was “not very good” and he has never seen an unpublished paper have so much policy impact
  • The paper was very much too pessimistic
  • Any such models are a dubious basis for public policy anyway
  • The flattening of the curve is due to the most vulnerable dying first as much as the lockdown
  • The results will eventually be similar for all countries
  • Covid-19 is a “mild disease” and similar to the flu, and it was the novelty of the disease that scared people.
  • The actual fatality rate of Covid-19 is the region of 0.1%
  • At least 50% of the population of both the UK and Sweden will be shown to have already had the disease when mass antibody testing becomes available
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

https://unherd.com/thepost/coming-up-epidemiologist-prof-johan-giesecke-shares-lessons-from-sweden/

• The correct policy is to protect the old and the frail only
  • This will eventually lead to herd immunity as a “by-product”
  • The Imperial College paper was “not very good” and he has never seen an unpublished paper have so much policy impact
  • The paper was very much too pessimistic
  • Any such models are a dubious basis for public policy anyway
  • The flattening of the curve is due to the most vulnerable dying first as much as the lockdown
  • The results will eventually be similar for all countries
  • Covid-19 is a “mild disease” and similar to the flu, and it was the novelty of the disease that scared people.
  • The actual fatality rate of Covid-19 is the region of 0.1%
  • At least 50% of the population of both the UK and Sweden will be shown to have already had the disease when mass antibody testing becomes available

Unfortunately, he's not correct in much of this. I know many of us would like this to be the case, but it just isn't.

I have five faculty now pulled to work in our large metropolitan hospital system and two things stand out. Young people ARE dying from this. Young, healthy people are dying from this. And it's not a mild disease like the flu at all. It's shockingly swift in many cases how fast people go from being able to talk and use their cellphone to dying alone as they are gasping for breath. This is nothing like we have seen in our lifetimes.

• Thanks 2

Just revisiting the China convo from a couple of pages back. 

I'm a distributor for promotional merchandise. So much of the stuff I get is from China and a lot of my suppliers are converting their factories over to manufacture PPE, specifically facemasks. I've never sold a face mask in my life up until 2 weeks ago and that's all I'm sourcing and ordering now. 3M and domestic suppliers for facemasks are directing their supplies directly to hospitals so the secondary market has been pushed to China. The secondary market is a mix of Amazon orders, companies trying to secure masks for their essential employees,  companies trying to secure masks for the non-essential employees who will soon be returning to work, etc. It's like the Wild West out there: production times, inventory levels, and prices are changing at the drop of the hat. The main problem right now is that because of the high demands, everything is just sitting on planes or waiting to get on planes. If you have ordered a facemask on Amazon and keep getting updates that your order is delayed another week...this is why. 

The eye opening thing for many is that we are too heavily relying on China in a time of emergency for a crisis they more or less created. They are obviously too interwoven into our supply chain and word on the street is that a huge company in my industry (possibly the biggest) is already reevaluating their their relationship with China and have begun looking at other countries to fulfill their production needs. I'm hoping other companies follow suit. 

While China is sitting pretty right now, I think the long term backlash will be devastating for them. 

@milehiiu also already brought up the fact that they produce so many of our pharmaceuticals. All I can think about now, is what will happen from a production/distribution standpoint when a vaccine is created and needs to be sent to the entire world? I hope planning has already begun for this scenario so we don't have to rely on China as much. 

Edited by tdhoosier

23 minutes ago, IU4Ever said:

@milehiiu can you elaborate on what's going to happen in Colorado?  I have a distant cousin residing in Westminster and she said your governor is opening things back up next week but didn't provide any details as to the extent of the  re-opening.

Govenor Polis announced on Monday the he will be replacing his stay at home order, to what he calls a safer at home policy.  I think it a a slow roll out, starting this weekend. Still asking people to wear masks when they go out. No more than 10 people to gather in one spot. But some non essential offices will be allowed to open. Personal services such as barber shops, beauty parlors, nail stores and dog groomers will be able to open up.

• Thanks 1