Coronavirus

Reacher

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And that has me concerned. Their economy goes south, and I can see a global conflict brewing...

China has slowly been tightening their grasp on the balls of other countries for the last 30-40 years like a slow moving train. We consumers like our crap cheap and China filled that void. Although there've been efforts like the TPP or other policies to diversify our supply and cut China out, this ultimately would've taken a Herculean task to unwind.....or a crisis. Unfortunately, we're getting the latter. What I'd give to see 5 years into the future to see what global changes this pandemic will ultimately spur. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

That's pretty dramatic. Young healthy people make up a very small percentage of the deaths. 

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

How about you spend some time in a NYC hospital or anywhere here in NYC right now and get back to me on drama.

I did not say young people were a large percentage of deaths. I said young people are dying. It's a fact. It's not just old people. It's very concering for our docs how this disease is working. And it's a devastatingly quick disease at times. There's a lot we don't know. But I'll tell them to cool their jets, b/c some random dude on the internet thinks it's all cool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

But some non essential offices will be allowed to open. Personal services such as barber shops, beauty parlors, nail stores and dog groomers will be able to open up.

LMAO as my cousin (age in mid-70's) her only concerns are getting her hair done and her stupid poodle trimmed.

Impossible to know what is going on in Indiana.  7 deaths reported yesterday.  61 today.  Neither one of those accurately represent what happened the prior day.  I guess the people reporting numbers took the weekend off and threw them all into today's numbers.

And, to top it off, the state reported 431 new cases today but stated that number is bad because of a technology issue.

How can the state possibly make a sound decision on reopening when it can't even report accurate numbers on a consistent basis.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Impossible to know what is going on in Indiana.  7 deaths reported yesterday.  61 today.  Neither one of those accurately represent what happened the prior day.  I guess the people reporting numbers took the weekend off and threw them all into today's numbers.

And, to top it off, the state reported 431 new cases today but stated that number is bad because of a technology issue.

How can the state possibly make a sound decision on reopening when it can't even report accurate numbers on a consistent basis.

I know that when essential workers go to Lilly for testing on Friday, it doesn't come back til Monday.  However if you go Monday - Thursday it's 24 hours or less.  

Definitely many reasons to question the reliability and validity of the data but this is what Dr. Box said yesterday so take it for what it's worth regarding the jump in reported deaths.

On Monday, Indiana State Health Commissioner Kristina Box said Indiana would start including presumptive positive case numbers in the daily report starting this week which may cause a spike in the state’s total death numbers.

Box provided the following explanation of presumptive positive case numbers:

“Later this week, we’ll be seeing some additional changes to our death counts because we’ll be including our presumptive positive cases in our death total. What this means is that a physician listed COVID-19 as the underlying cause of death for a patient, but there was no documented positive COVID-19 test for that individual. 

This will cause our death numbers to show an increase that’s higher than what we’ve typically seen. I want to make sure that everyone understands that these are not new deaths. Rather, we are capturing the deaths that have occurred really since this pandemic began.”

Just looked it up on the indiana Department of health site.  Only 12 of the 61 reported today actually died yesterday.  And, I was apparently right about the numbers people taking the weekend off.  33 of the 61 died on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.  One death reported today actually goes back to 4/7.  How does that go unreported for so long?

24 minutes ago, IU4Ever said:

LMAO as my cousin (age in mid-70's) her only concerns are getting her hair done and her stupid poodle trimmed.

Well.  She should be a happy lady. My wife has gotten her hair and nails done at the same place for more than 40 years.  She's now a happy camper as well.  As is the wife of my son's best friend from high school. She cuts women's hair. And hasn't been able to work for weeks.  She applied for jobs. But was told by the time she got in... all the jobs had been filled.

Take care.... 4Ever.  Stay safe.

2 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Unfortunately, he's not correct in much of this. I know many of us would like this to be the case, but it just isn't.

I have five faculty now pulled to work in our large metropolitan hospital system and two things stand out. Young people ARE dying from this. Young, healthy people are dying from this. And it's not a mild disease like the flu at all. It's shockingly swift in many cases how fast people go from being able to talk and use their cellphone to dying alone as they are gasping for breath. This is nothing like we have seen in our lifetimes.

How do you explain the thousands of asymptomatic infected?  It's not as black and white as your putting it.  There's a wide range of reaction to this virus and what you are describing is not the vast majority of infections.

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

How do you explain the thousands of asymptomatic infected?  It's not as black and white as your putting it.  There's a wide range of reaction to this virus and what you are describing is not the vast majority of infections.

I'm not trying to explain the thousands of asymptomatic infected. I know they exist. I'm just saying the dude quoted was off in his suggestions. You can't just shove the elderly in a room together to die and then let everyone else go about their business. The cases and deaths would still have quickly overwhelmed hospitals.

I'm just stating a fact. Young people can and do die from this. And it's also sometimes a very quick death. I'm speaking out of experience that our docs are having in the epicenter of this virus. There is a very wide range of reactions to it and I never said I was describing the "vast majority of infections."

I know we all want this to go away and for everyone to be able to go back to work. We'll get there, but we have to be smart about it.

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

I know that when essential workers go to Lilly for testing on Friday, it doesn't come back til Monday.  However if you go Monday - Thursday it's 24 hours or less.  

I tested on Wednesday afternoon and got my results Saturday morning

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

I'm not trying to explain the thousands of asymptomatic infected. I know they exist. I'm just saying the dude quoted was off in his suggestions. You can't just shove the elderly in a room together to die and then let everyone else go about their business. The cases and deaths would still have quickly overwhelmed hospitals.

I'm just stating a fact. Young people can and do die from this. And it's also sometimes a very quick death. I'm speaking out of experience that our docs are having in the epicenter of this virus. There is a very wide range of reactions to it and I never said I was describing the "vast majority of infections."

I know we all want this to go away and for everyone to be able to go back to work. We'll get there, but we have to be smart about it.

The "dude quoted" has some pretty impressive credentials and it is hard to find fault with the Sweden approach as it seems to be working better than many other places. He never said to "shove the elderly in a room to let them die". There is a difference between that and quarantining young healthy people who have minimal  (notice I did not say no) risks. People should be allowed to decide what risks they want to assume for themselves/ their family. 

From what I've heard, the young people affected often have other health issues or vape. Any anecdotal evidence to that?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

The "dude quoted" has some pretty impressive credentials and it is hard to find fault with the Sweden approach as it seems to be working better than many other places. He never said to "shove the elderly in a room to let them die". There is a difference between that and quarantining young healthy people who have minimal  (notice I did not say no) risks. People should be allowed to decide what risks they want to assume for themselves/ their family. 

From what I've heard, the young people affected often have other health issues or vape. Any anecdotal evidence to that?

The problem is that you might think you are healthy and not realize you are infected.  Also when you go out in public you have to worry about everyone you come in contact with.  If people would do what has been asked of them this wouldn't have spread like it has.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Reacher,

Not to call you out instead maybe support you, just happened to be the first post I saw when I opened the thread. Love you brother!

That being said, any body (experts or otherwise) that are comparing situations locally with some other situation around the country or worse the world is living the fools life! Things are not the same!!

China', when they locked down they "LOCKED DOWN", no parties on the beach, no I'm going to church and on and on excuses! When they went back to work,(which I'm thankful for as I deal weekly with vendor input from China, including Wuhan) things are still not the same! The facilities in China are usually campuses, where the employees work 7/12 work weeks! They live at work and as much as you and I may find this disgusting, when they go to work they give up their bunk bed to the person coming off shift! Going back to work they were and are still effectively in quarantine! 

Concerning Sweden, I don't really know the situation. However, I'll leave you all with this thought. My niece used to live in Fargo, she told me stories of frequent Ice Storms that shut everything down. Wasn't in the national news(go figure) But everyone would gather in the community center with their generators and food, essentially it all became a community block party to the nth degree!

Imagine a whole country that realizes you can't drive by a car with blinkers on, the people involved are now in a life or death situation! 

Things are NOT the same as your own reality!

• Like 2