Coronavirus

Reacher

Just now, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I doubt it as well Mile. The news media has an agenda and I think we all pretty know what it is.....

Thank you friend. And you are a friend.  So many friends I have never met. Yet know, and love.  'preciate you're being a member.  Perhaps at no more of an important time like this.

17 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I appreciate the perspective you, and all others, bring. As far as deaths, are we counting increased suicides as COVID deaths? That may be one part of increased deaths and while you can say that COVID was partially responsible, I agree with those saying you need an accurate count or the unintended consequences will mess things up for years.

If you're counting overall deaths then, yes, suicides will be included. Everything is included. They will also be included in the '% of normal'. The article also said some overall mortality numbers are down in some states like California, which can be contributed to a lot of things but most particularly car crashes. Not nearly as many people are driving. So while you can blame isolation for suicides, on the flip side you can credit isolation for saving lives in car crashes. I believe the purpose of the article is not be 100% accurate, which is impossible, but more of a check on the numbers being currently reported. Does the change in mortality rates line up with the COVID numbers being reported? 

I agree with you on accuracy. However, I don't sense a conspiracy around the numbers being reported (not saying you do, but some have hinted of that on here). I think chaos can be blamed for the inaccuracies on both sides and numbers are being picked apart to support individual narratives....whatever they may be. I just don't know if we're nitpicking over an error rate of something like +/- 3% or +/- 20%? If the nitpicking adds up to an error rate of +/-3% does it really change the overall picture, or is it affecting policy? Now, if it one thinks it up to +/-20%, then that would be a problem. But to say that is true would be a very bold statement given the information we have. 

Just a sad, sad story.  It became too overwhelming for this lady doctor. Just doing her job. And who's family said she never exhibited any mental health issues.

Top E.R. Doctor Who Treated Coronavirus Patients Dies by Suicide - The New York Times

I keep saying this. And most likely will continue to say.... Stay safe. And stay strong.  Hoosier Sports Nation. Together. We WILL get through this.

Never ridden on a NYC subway. And doubt that I ever will.  However, just saw that the New York City subway system will not be running for 24 hours constant. Will be stopping service in the early morning hours to disinfect.   Think it is a good idea.  Especially since ridership is reported to be down by 90 %.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

https://www.ibj.com/articles/indiana-hires-virginia-company-to-handle-contract-tracing-of-covid-19-patients

How about no.  If I understand this right, the guy I work with that tested positive, will tell these people who he came in contact with which means I would have to quarantine for 2 weeks and check in everyday. 

Sounds Orwellian to me. 

Yep...that's how contact tracing works.  😁

54 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Never ridden on a NYC subway. And doubt that I ever will.  However, just saw that the New York City subway system will not be running for 24 hours constant. Will be stopping service in the early morning hours to disinfect.   Think it is a good idea.  Especially since ridership is reported to be down by 90 %.

My wife and I looked at each other when this was announced and were like, "Whut?" This just doesn't happen here. It's one of the things that makes us the "city that never sleeps." It's happened briefly a few times while we've been here, Hurricane Sandy for a few days, maybe for a night or two during the 2015 blizzard. It's just a really weird thing for us. And for many people it's their only way to get around. I worry about those people on late or overnight shifts.

Overall ridership has plummeted though, especially at night. And those cars do need to be claeaned. We have not been on the subway since March 13th.

A final note on the MTA - they have been hit heavily by this: as of mid-April, "2,400 MTA workers had tested positive for the virus and 4,000 were quarantined. At least 79 workers have died."

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

This is very hard to comprehend for that town but something honestly that should have been done 30+ days ago. Yes it's an inconvenience....but pick the time (I'll say 3-5am) that has more than likely the least amount of traffic and clean. This is one of those greater good decisions. 

Speaking of oddities..McCormick Place in Chicago was (and still is) being used for a just in case type situation. News is getting out today....but the people on the ground ( I know 1 from work) say it's been a colossal waste of $....media reports are saying 84 state paid workers are taking care of 9 patients. 9. 

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This is very hard to comprehend for that town but something honestly that should have been done 30+ days ago. Yes it's an inconvenience....but pick the time (I'll say 3-5am) that has more than likely the least amount of traffic and clean. This is one of those greater good decisions. 

Speaking of oddities..McCormick Place in Chicago was (and still is) being used for a just in case type situation. News is getting out today....but the people on the ground ( I know 1 from work) say it's been a colossal waste of $....media reports are saying 84 state paid workers are taking care of 9 patients. 9. 

Actually, you could say 30+ years ago, hindsight being what it is. 

As for Chicago trying to anticipate what might be coming it's way in the early days of the pandemic, I can't/won't fault anyone for any expansion of hospital facilities.  

30 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

@Lostin76

Any idea how this is affecting crime rates?  Just saw an article Miami hasn't had a murder in 7 weeks. First time since 1957 they have went that long. 

I haven't really been paying much attention to it, but apparently there there's been a slight uptick in domestic violence murders and regular murders. But I also read a report that said they were worried that domestic violence was being under-reported. Can you imagine what it must be like for someone stuck in a abusive relationship and confined to home during this thing?

23 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I agree, they should have been doing something like this already. It's just probably a hard decision to make in a huge pile of hard decisions.

The McCormick Place situation sounds a little but like the USS Comfort for us. Was a big deal to see it arrive (especially for me as I was a Navy Corpsman back in the day!) and then it wasn't taking COVID patients or any patients at first. They finally did agree to take on a substantial amount of patients - I think like 175 patients for the 1000 bed ship.

That's probably some good care for those 9 patients though! :)

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

@Lostin76

Any idea how this is affecting crime rates?  Just saw an article Miami hasn't had a murder in 7 weeks. First time since 1957 they have went that long. 

I don't have official statistics, but it seems as if there has been a shooting in Louisville every single day over the last 3-4 weeks.

• Like 2

Speaking of pre-planning...i really wish I could remember the Exact details so bear with me...

Fauci said that they are going to work on manufacturing vaccines before they are approved, hoping to have one ready to administer right away upon approval. Apparently manufacturing these can take months. Of course, this can backfire if the vaccines don’t work because they’ll be left with a lot of useless vaccines. But desperate times are calling for desperate measures. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

@Lostin76

Just saw this. Very interesting read.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/30/dining/restaurants-burglary-coronavirus.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Speaking of pre-planning...i really wish I could remember the Exact details so bear with me...

Fauci said that they are going to work on manufacturing vaccines before they are approved, hoping to have one ready to administer right away upon approval. Apparently manufacturing these can take months. Of course, this can backfire if the vaccines don’t work because they’ll be left with a lot of useless vaccines. But desperate times are calling for desperate measures. 

I'm not involved in pharma much, but I can tell you that almost all medical devices build up inventory well before final FDA market launch approval. a day wasted is lost revenue! 

• Thanks 1