Coronavirus

Reacher

May 9th my oldest son will be graduating from college and we will be celebrating with a virtual graduation.  Part of me is sad for jealous reasons. For the most part I am an optimist and so many people are going through so much suffering right now that not having a live graduation is not a big deal. 

Since everything is virtual I have talked my wife into getting him a gift of his dreams.  A virtual Range Rover. He probably wont think it's as funny as I will

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

For @milehiiu, this is a sad story though.

Colorado Paramedic Who Came to Help New York Dies From Covid-19

Mayor Bill de Blasio said on Friday that New York was grieving for Mr. Cary and that the city would erect a memorial to him.

“We have lost someone who came to our aid, to our defense,” he said. “And there’s something particularly painful when someone does the right thing — a fellow American comes from across the country to try to help the people of New York City, and while working to save lives here, gives his own life. It’s very painful.”

8 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Yes. I saw the mayor talking about this. As it has been reported on local tv.

Then, there is this :

Broomfield Colorado  nurse fired for helping COVID-19 patients in New York City | FOX31 Denver

15 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

If you are a meat eater you better go get what you can now. 

I was at Costco earlier in the week and they didn't have much meat at all. No chicken or hamburger at all. Had a meat case filled with salads. Have been to a few other stores since then and they seemed well stocked.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I was at Costco earlier in the week and they didn't have much meat at all. No chicken or hamburger at all. Had a meat case filled with salads. Have been to a few other stores since then and they seemed well stocked.

Can't speak for Costco but my aunt scored their last rotisserie this past Wednesday at 930am for the day. She said when she got there people were getting 3-4 each. All were gone and employee said no more available for the day (This was Costco on North Michigan in Indy).

Kroger has been hit or miss on meats. One thing for certain though are all prices have jumped. Maybe it's the frugal in me but I  used to buy 5 chicken breasts for roughly $8-9 at my store. Same 5 yesterday was $14-$16. Been cooking far more meatless meals these past few weeks. 

"Pork butt...the new toilet paper."

I was in HEB yesterday, and the meat was plentiful. Not saying there isn't going to be some disruption of the supply chain, but when I hear some farmers are slaughtering just to curb an imbalance to the herd, and then hear "meat shortage" I become skeptical and start looking at motives...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Can't speak for Costco but my aunt scored their last rotisserie this past Wednesday at 930am for the day. She said when she got there people were getting 3-4 each. All were gone and employee said no more available for the day (This was Costco on North Michigan in Indy).

Kroger has been hit or miss on meats. One thing for certain though are all prices have jumped. Maybe it's the frugal in me but I  used to buy 5 chicken breasts for roughly $8-9 at my store. Same 5 yesterday was $14-$16. Been cooking far more meatless meals these past few weeks. 

King Soopers in Colorado, which is owned by Kroger.  Started limiting the amount of meat to two per customer, just this past week.

And it just disgusts when I hear about farmers destroying food, instead of finding ways to give that food to a local food bank, etc.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

King Soopers in Colorado, which is owned by Kroger.  Started limiting the amount of meat to two per customer, just this past week.

And it just disgusts when I hear about farmers destroying food, instead of finding ways to give that food to a local food bank, etc.

And someone can correct me but my understanding why farmers are doing this is if they voluntarily donate their crops,etc.....they lose out on insurance money? Trust me I'm as pro farmer as it gets....but this one doesn't sit well if in fact that's why they are doing this.

Edited by Seeking6

Not sure if for insurance or not.  But farmers are plowing under their crop and euthanizing animals by the tens of thousands.  Have to figure in the downstream effects.  Supply may be fine in some places but not others for now.  But when restaurant demand picks back up along with trying to restock grocery stores, supply could be tight for awhile.  Plants and animals dont grow overnight.

Edited by mrflynn03

23 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

And someone can correct me but my understanding why farmers are doing this is if they voluntarily donate their crops,etc.....they lose out on insurance money? Trust me I'm as pro farmer as it gets....but this one doesn't sit well if in fact that's why they are doing this.

I hadn't heard that, but I guess it's possible. I thought the main reason is neither the farmers nor the food banks have any way to process the meat safely and in the numbers of animals they're talking about...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I hadn't heard that, but I guess it's possible. I thought the main reason is neither the farmers nor the food banks have any way to process the meat safely and in the numbers of animals they're talking about...

I hadn't researched much. My five minutes worth basically says since restaurants closed,etc....the whole food supply system has been broken because instead of getting crops to those places they've had to change up and get to grocery stores. Costs associated with the change forces them to destroy.

I'm sure insurance has something to do with it but not everything. Anyone who knows farmers....understands how hard of a decision it would be to just till their crops. At least that's my opinion.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I can only speak of what happened to my Dad a few year back when he received insurance money on about 200 acres of soybeans.  Basically, he got paid and then the crop became the insurance company's to do with what they wanted.  My Dad harvested the crop for them but they got the money for the crop.

I have no idea how it works for produce, dairy, or livestock.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Muckraker said:

These people who think you can just load up a semi load of 1,400# steers and drop them off at a soup kitchen.

I hear and understand what you are saying. However, I was not suggesting that cattle be dropped off at a food bank. Heck farmers could just place their food in front of their farm, put a sign up for people driving by.... to take as much as they want.... or for them to take the produce to a food bank.

Rather that ingenuity is the mother of invention.  There are many meat packing plants in this great country of ours.

And.... and the DOT has done away with trucking restrictions.  Including cattle trucks.

Federal deregulation of commercial trucking in coronavirus crisis | The Sacramento Bee

Having cattle truckers bringing cattle to a meat packing plant serves many position purposes.... rather than just killing the cattle.  It keeps truckers working, not to say the meat packers as well.  And... keeps the food chain running.   Just my humble opinion.  I can't find any fault with that.  Sure beats killing cattle, as far as I am concerned.

Thanks for being a member, by the way.  You've been with HSN 3.0 since the beginning.  These are things that do not go unnoticed. 

• Like 1

@milehiiu, @Seeking6 the bottleneck is all the meat processing plants that are shut down or operating at reduced capacity. https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/01/politics/executive-order-meat-processing-plants-open/index.html

From what I understand, there is plenty of beef and chicken but there is no where for it to go hence the need to get rid of it. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Reacher said:

@milehiiu, @Seeking6 the bottleneck is all the meat processing plants that are shut down or operating at reduced capacity. https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/01/politics/executive-order-meat-processing-plants-open/index.html

From what I understand, there is plenty of beef and chicken but there is no where for it to go hence the need to get rid of it. 

Thanks for posting. I'm not down with any type of euthanization of animals just because it becomes expensive for someone to care for them. Ticks me off a little more actually at some of these folks.

8 hours ago, Reacher said:

Yep. Despite an executive order for meat packing plants to remain open. I agree it has been a struggle for some to figure a way to do it, and still protect their employees.  I have already mentioned it in this thread.  But, I think it is worth repeating. A very large meat packer in Colorado has reopened, after closing. They have set up tents in a parking lot. With medical personnel. Employees have to go through the tents before entering the plant for work.

39 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Yep. Despite an executive order for meat packing plants to remain open. I agree it has been a struggle for some to figure a way to do it, and still protect their employees.  I have already mentioned it in this thread.  But, I think it is worth repeating. A very large meat packer in Colorado has reopened, after closing. They have set up tents in a parking lot. With medical personnel. Employees have to go through the tents before entering the plant for work.

What company’s are saying in the media and what is happening in the real world are two different things. My company told us we are on our own!

• Like 1